PDA

View Full Version : Outlaws blowing?

jmorgan0135
05-06-2011, 08:06 PM
I've been looking into getting the 525 IRS and I was told that these rides blow up easy. The guy said the ktm motors are meant for dirt bikes and can't handle the weight of a fourwheeler. I've been on utilities most of my life. The only reason I am interested in the outlaw is for the IRS and bc it's a Polaris lol. So, I wanted to know what the owners of these rides thought. Are the KTM motors on the outlaws durable?

Rkangel7
05-06-2011, 08:42 PM
I don't have an Outlaw ....yet... been pining for an 09+ for a while, but the economy had other ideas.

But, there is a lot of good info available

Here (http://www.polarispros.com/forum/)

outlawjeff
05-07-2011, 06:06 AM
i Have a 2007 outlaw 525 irs and the motor is very strong, all i have done is change the oil every 3 rides. i think this is one of the best motors that can be put on a atv. It has never let me down. i have had it on over 6 trips to hatfield mccoy and never had to fix anything on it from breaking.

sleddog66
05-07-2011, 06:21 AM
Not heard of many blowing up....I have a 07 irs, and have followed outlaw forums since. They are a higher maintainance machine, they also have a heat problem if ridden for long, hot rides, that can be fixed with an oil cooler install.This may be the stories that you have heard of them granading. They have a recommended rebuild time of 100 hrs. So these are higher maintenence race type engines, that will require some care, and time. The power is nice, and I really like mine

jmorgan0135
05-07-2011, 07:01 AM
Thanks a lot guys. This was just something I was told. So, I wanted to get some opinions of people that actually owned Outlaws.

buddy willard
05-07-2011, 05:23 PM
i know a guy who owns a atv shop and the street bikes and 4 wheelers had alot of blown motorts for some reason. so i went ahead and bought a honda

337450r
05-17-2011, 12:28 PM
LMAO blown motors?!?!? Man the RFS motors are one the best motors ever produced , known for there reliabilty, if you really want to know about these outlaws go to polarispros.com, there is nothing but outlaw owners on there and they will tell you the facts about these motors not here say

Predatory
07-22-2011, 07:17 PM
I have had main bearing failure twice on my 07 Outlaw, the second time was catastrophic and I had PWR Radiator and exturnal oil cooler. Go to the KTM talk site and search for Crank Spread and then you will know what to expect from your "race ready" motor. I have since fitted a six speed Bike 525 motor and have a lot more confidence than with the Quad motor. I have also done the crank bearing conversion and had the crank balanced and trued etc etc. I still run an oil cooler and will never own a KTM motor in a quad without one. I believe sacrificing the sixth gear for reverse was the worst possible decision ever taken by KTM as they have known about the Crank Spread problem for a long time.
They seem to be OK if you dont hold it wide open for twenty Km at a time. Unfortunately, Desert racing requires that type of demand so....?

shiley55
07-25-2011, 11:21 AM
Yes there have been MANY blown ktm motors in the outlaw. But the reason is because they are jetted to lean from factory to pass emissions. it has nothing to do with being built for a dirtbike vs a quad. All of this info can be found on ct racing's site. There was also a lot of talk about them breaking down a lot and come to find out it was from the shops putting them together out of the crate so its best to recheck everything over one you get one.