PDA

View Full Version : yz 400 oil cooler

mxracer111
02-19-2003, 05:48 PM
hey guys....here is the quad im putting together.....brande new 400ex frame that i setup to run a yz 400 motor..... what do you think of my oil cooler idea and how its attached to the rear of my walsh radiator? im just waiting on my a arms and subframe to come back from the chromers. i cant wait.

mxracer111
02-19-2003, 05:55 PM
i just heard so many people complaining that the yz motor in the quad doesnt hold enough oil and they run hot....so i think this huge radiator and this big oil cooler will add some more fluids and cool things a bit better. hopefully it works...i didnt think it could hurt anyway

Sparks425Ex
02-19-2003, 06:11 PM
Looks Like it is a pretty good idea. You are gonna have a sweet ride. Got any more pics of that Dale in the Background?

02-19-2003, 06:13 PM
so what are you gonna do for a oil rezzy. thats a sweet set-up. i love that color too.what is that. trans blue. Get some pics of the dale.

mxracer111
02-19-2003, 06:13 PM
im building this for one of Hellbound racing's sponsored riders.... check out Hellboundracing.com.

mxracer111
02-19-2003, 06:15 PM
i have a custome made aluminum tank that sits below the radiator to hold the oil....

02-20-2003, 07:57 AM
Will the motor have room to mount up with that huge radiator sitting there...most people are changing the frame rails around to hold a large radiator...:confused:

mxracer111
02-20-2003, 08:00 AM
yes it will fit....there is no way i would cut out the major support rail on the frame. the motor fits perfect.....it was hard finding a headpipe that fit the way i wanted...but got a titanioum one that fits gereat....... the reason i can fit this is cause i had a special oil tank made to fit below the radiator between the frame rails.....most people take the cheap way out and just cut the frame rails out so they have rroo for a stock oil tank....i am doing this quad right so i dont want to take shortcuts

oregonrider89
02-20-2003, 11:42 AM
Thats a sweet radiator/oil cooler set-up. You'll have a nice ride. Have you ever thought about an aluminum frame from LRD. 20% lighter, just an idea.

oregonrider89

mxracer111
02-20-2003, 11:43 AM
im still shaky on the idea of the aluminum frame.....let the buugs work out first..... and i also cant weld aluminum....but well see...for now...i can get a 400ex frame cheap so im not worried....it shouldnt be too heavy anyway

forum
02-20-2003, 12:21 PM
why is cutting the frame rails the cheap way out?? if anything its the oposite. Relocateing the frame rails makes things much tieder. I relocated the frame rails. and built my own oil cooler. So i could have the steering damper mounted in the bottom of the frame. wouldn't not taking the time to cut out the frame rails be more of a shortcut?? I can garantee you could not fit my radiator and a oil rezzy thats holds 3.5 litres without relocateing the frame rails.. Do you work for eca?? cause that would explain alot

o yes. and i also atachted my oil cooler behind my rad. And both my rad and oil rezzy look to hold quite a bit more then yours. well im not postive on the oil rezzy but the rad i am postive of.

mxracer111
02-20-2003, 12:26 PM
no...i definatly dont work for ECA....i actually will not deal with them at all. in my opinion...if Honda put those rails there....they are there for a reason, so i dont think they should be cut out.....i have no problem fitting my large rad, oil cooler, and rather large oil tank....ill get some pics of the oil tank in there once im done polishing it....i have seen too many of the frames crack that have had the rails moved.....some of which were done by ECA.

mxracer111
02-20-2003, 12:29 PM
and i think you took me the wrong way when i said cheap.... my custom oil tank cost me $200 to have made..... nost people want to save money and use a stock tank...so they cut the rails....i didnt mean it in a bad way.... in my opinion it will weaken the frmae though

Big - D Racing
02-20-2003, 12:32 PM
Hey forum instead of flaming on his design, which I think looks awesome, let's see yours then well talk about which set up is better. It make sense to me no to cut and reweld them, I would imagine that would just make it weaker. Let's see your ride.

forum
02-20-2003, 12:46 PM
wasn't flaming. I've posted my machine on here a few times. Its in steering and suspension under the name 426 update. I still would like to know how you got such an expert opionion on whats stronger!. the 250r and arens crf400ex frame follwo's the same design as what i said. And since when are 400ex frames built for stregnth ??? the last time i checked gusseting the crap outa them was quite common!. If honda knows how to do it right like you say.. Wares the twinspar aluminium frame found on there dirtbikes??? I agree i saved some money by doing all the work myself. but does that make me cheap?? If you think so then give your head a shake. I believe the way I did my frame is ten times better then eca's. and the next best thing to a aftermarket frame.. And whats to say honda put those frame rails like that just so they could mount there oil cooler with greater ease!. PFff honda! i agree they are the best international manufacturer of atv's but they all needs some major R&D

Big - D Racing
02-20-2003, 12:52 PM
Yea aftermarket frames do make them the way you did yours, but the difference is their frames are made completely of 4130 chromoly metal. That can take a lot more abuse than mild steel. When you reweld cheaper steel it is only going to make it weaker. Honda isn't going to spend money and more time to brace up the frame. It is designed for a common atv rider not a motox rider. If they did what you say the 400ex would cost $7000-$8000 instead of $5500. They want to sell a good atv at a descent price so it appeals to everyone, not just racers.

Mxbubs
02-20-2003, 12:53 PM
The purpose of cutting the frame rails is simple----To fit the largest possible radiator on the bike, to insure 100% confidence of cooling. My frame will not crack where I made these mods, even if it did, Id take a cracked frame over a burnt up or overheating motor anyday.;)

mxracer111
02-20-2003, 12:55 PM
you guys keep talking about having to cut the rails to fit a large radiator....if im correct the walsh radiator is one of the largest made.....not to mention the oil cooler i have on the back of it....and my oil tank is a lot bigger than a stock 400ex tank like most use....i didnt have to move the rails and i dont think ill have any problem keeping the ported yz cool

forum
02-20-2003, 12:56 PM
:p

forum
02-20-2003, 12:57 PM
that walsh aint bigger then a jrd! and thats what i got

Mxbubs
02-20-2003, 12:57 PM
Naked

Mxbubs
02-20-2003, 12:59 PM
On the hoof.:D

Big - D Racing
02-20-2003, 01:00 PM
Ok forum I bet your bike isn't going to run to much cooler than his, if any at all. That walsh radiator is top of the line, but the difference is during a race when your frame cracks and you have to quit the race because of it mxracer11 will keep on racing.

Mxbubs
02-20-2003, 01:01 PM
I really considered the extra oil cooler, but I ran the motor for a while, and it never boiled.

I researched for the biggest radiator out there, and I found the Jansen was the biggest, unless you had a custom one made.

Im still happy, I made the right decision.:D

RiPPiNiTuP7
02-20-2003, 01:02 PM
I think your doing an awsome job mxracer111...keep up the good work :macho

mxracer111
02-20-2003, 01:05 PM
thanks for the support guys..... i am trying to make a very nice quad..... not to flame anyone at all....but i have seen some of the conversions that people have shown on this site.....and just wait to see the finished product here..... some i have seen are hack-jobs and a half compared to what this wuad will be when done...... but hey...its all personal opinion and preference....i am just trying to do the best job i can and get a few more ideas....i really started the post to see if you guys forsee any problems with using this oil cooler

forum
02-20-2003, 01:07 PM
big d. i'm still waiting on your proof on my design is weaker. YOur just asuming! in my opinion its stronger!. why you ask!?!? well the larger spaces there are betewn frame rails, the more stress there is on other frame rails. if you look at mine and bubs design you will see that the space ware the engine is housed is much smaller then the stock ex!.. Well then you may say well the space just above the a arms is smaller. Then i will say back. Although that space is bigger the more evenly spred out spaces will work beter, just like bridge truses. And yes i have one more coment!. a common place for frames to crack is just below the steering stem clamp uprights! because the lack of suport. but with our design that also aids that!. So ware is your prof!

forum
02-20-2003, 01:09 PM
hey man. i agree that your quad is going to be realy nice! And your design could be better. I just got protective when you called it the cheap way out

mxracer111
02-20-2003, 01:11 PM
i told you in one of my posts aftewr.....you misunderstood me calling it cheap.... my oil tank cost a lot to have made....some people spend a lot less buy cutting the tubes and useing a stock tanks.....i meant cheap as in price..... not as in a bad job

forum
02-20-2003, 01:12 PM
yes but you also stated you wanted to do things right

Big - D Racing
02-20-2003, 01:25 PM
wHAT KIND OF PROOF DO YOU WANT? dO YOU WANT ME TO TAKE BOTH DESIGNS AND RIDE UNTIL ONE OF THEM CRACKS. NO ONE HAS PROOF REALLY UNLESS THEY DO HAVE BOTH VERSIONS AND ONE HAS CRACKED BEFOR THE OTHER. I'M STATING WHAT I THINK. JUST AS YOU ARE. YOU HAVE NO PROOF EITHER, YOUR JUST GIVING AN OPINION ALSO. DON'Y GET PISSED ABOUT IT. I'M SURE YOUR QUAD IS PRETTY NICE AND EXPENSIVE. I JUST THINK IF IT WAS MINE I WOULD DO IT THE SAME WAY MXRACER11 IS. IF LIKE YOU SAY IT IS BETTER BECAUSE THE STRESS IS SPREAD OUT AND NOT PUT IN ONE PLACE, HONDA WOULDN'T HAVE PUT THEM THERE. THEY SPEND MILLIONS OF DOLLARS ON RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT. SO IF THEY ARE THERE ON A FRAME I'M SURE IT IS FOR A REASON. I WOULD TRUST WHAT THEY DO OVER ANYTHING YOU SAY OR ANYONE ELSE SAYS. AFTERALL THE TEST TEIR FRAMES WITH PROFESSIONAL RIDERS AND EQUIPMENT. UNLESS YOU CAN TRUELY TEST A FRAME LIKE THEY DO, YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHICH IS BETTER. IF THOSE RAILS WEREN;T NEEDED HONDA NEVER WOULD OF PUT THEM THERE, BECAUSE IT WOULD MAKE THE BIKE THAT MUCH LIGHTER, AND THAT MUCH CHEAPER TO BUILD.

forum
02-20-2003, 01:30 PM
:p getting loud are we?

02-20-2003, 01:32 PM
you guys talk about stuffing a huge radiator in there for cooling. have you ever seen the 426 radiators. they are small. the 426 bike is fine unless you let it idle for more than 5 mins then it starts to overheat. i think you guys are overdoing it with the huge radiators.

forum
02-20-2003, 01:33 PM
better over then under;)

mxracer111
02-20-2003, 01:34 PM
it runs hotter in the quad than in the bike supposedly . but i dont see how keeping it cooler could hurt

Big - D Racing
02-20-2003, 01:37 PM
The cooler the better.

Sorry about the capitalization of my last post accidently had the caps on. Not trying to yell or anything like that. Just having fun, not trying to fight. These type of posts were you argue your point are the funnest and most addicting.

Mxbubs
02-20-2003, 01:41 PM
Just got off the phone with Janssen Racing. Their radiator holds just under 4 quarts of water. I wanted to call Walsh and ask them how much theirs holds, but their website is too lame to have a phone number.

My oil rezzy holds 1.75 quarts, and the motor holds another half.

I looked at all possibilities, I am still happy with my setup. I guess I will know 100% in a year if I made the right decisions.

To cut or not to cut, that is the question.:D

Mxbubs
02-20-2003, 01:43 PM
[These type of posts were you argue your point are the funnest and most addicting. [/B]

Not to speak of educational.

forum
02-20-2003, 02:25 PM
argueing is fun isn't it.! im serious!. But sometimes we all gotta bring it down a tone. an i am far from inocent I know that. lets all just be happy that we can even ride such machines when others just wish they could sit on them!.

Houser Cannondale
02-20-2003, 07:59 PM
i think you should have put the oil cooler infront of the radator instead of behind it. that way the oil cooler gets nice cool air fromt the front. :)

mxracer111
02-20-2003, 08:00 PM
either way it should get just as much....but id rather keep my water temp. as cool as poss. oil wasnt as much concern since it didnt have an oil cooler before...and i know the water has probs overheating

OutlawEX
02-20-2003, 08:58 PM
Im aggreeing with MXracer 110% on what he is doing..I am currently doing a YZF conversion and im doing exactly what he is doing..Im prolly not gonna get the oil cooler tho right now,but i went the extra mile and got the custom Oil tank and radiator..With the oil tank you dont need to cut the frame at all...I know i have plenty of room..

No flame just my 2 cents

forum
02-21-2003, 09:46 AM
i don't disagree. im just saying theres no way you could use the radiator i have without moving the frame rails

its a jrd mech made by griffin. Its a 250r double thick rad.

mxracer111
02-21-2003, 11:11 AM
forum....that is in fact not true.... i know the guys from JRD....i actually race with them. there radiator WILL fit in the frame.... in the exact spot i have mine.... but what the decideing factor is the oil tank you choose to go with...but JRD's raciator WIll fit

Mxbubs
02-21-2003, 04:46 PM
I know mine would not have fit, in fact, I had to put soap on the top and bottom and push it into the spot..... :)

I only wish I would have used the stock oil rezzy, I believe I could have mounted it on the back of my radiator on the vertical bars, standing it up and down...it would have saved me some money, but o well....its half a dozen one way, six the other....:D

dingo
02-21-2003, 09:16 PM
I like it. That is a neat blue. What kind aof gas tank is that?

diangelo#67
02-21-2003, 09:33 PM
mxracer111 is absolutly right that rail is there for a reason so that the frame dosen't crack above the shock towers. that's why us z400 owners are spending so much money off the bat because suzuki didn't spend the extra money to place that rail in that spot so we have to gusset the frame so it dosen't crack. it might not happen right away but it will unless you brace it in other places like eca tryed to do on there's but trial and error is a *****. :devil not flam'n yet:D

OutlawEX
02-21-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by diangelo#67
mxracer111 is absolutly right that rail is there for a reason so that the frame dosen't crack above the shock towers. that's why us z400 owners are spending so much money off the bat because suzuki didn't spend the extra money to place that rail in that spot so we have to gusset the frame so it dosen't crack. it might not happen right away but it will unless you brace it in other places like eca tryed to do on there's but trial and error is a *****. :devil not flam'n yet:D

Houser Cannondale
02-22-2003, 08:16 AM
this seems like a really really stupid question but whos the eca? :confused:

mxracer111
02-22-2003, 08:28 AM
ECA= East Coast ATV