PDA

View Full Version : Need codec for Hero cam?

OldGuyonaQuad
05-06-2011, 08:17 AM
Ok my brother picked up a real nice Hero Cam from GoPro.com. Nice package including water proof case and mulitple mounts. The problem is none of our computers will recognize the mp4 format. Kinda sucks that you spend $300 bucks on a camera and it doesn't come with software. Their web site support is a joke suggesting we find it on teh iterwebz :eek2:

The free codecs rarely work and usually come with some BS malware or some other strings.

Does anyone know of a codec that will work for this? Even if we have to buy it that's fine I just want to get one that will correct this issue. thanks in advance

Canadian144
05-06-2011, 09:38 AM
So you can't play it/watch it at all? What program are you trying to use?

VLC media player will play just about every file format out there.

OldGuyonaQuad
05-06-2011, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Canadian144
So you can't play it/watch it at all? What program are you trying to use?

VLC media player will play just about every file format out there.

when you plug thecamera into the pc and look in the file the pix and videos are saved without a program designated to open it.

We did d/l one free codec that came with some other BS and wewere able to view the still shots but not videos. I will tr your suggested player though thanks much

lasher45
05-06-2011, 10:54 AM
save the files, download VLC, then open the files using VLC. I never have any problems viewing the videos with the VLC player.

OldGuyonaQuad
05-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by lasher45
save the files, download VLC, then open the files using VLC. I never have any problems viewing the videos with the VLC player.

thanks again guys I did some reading up on this player but of course I can't d/l it from work due to the I/T nazis :(

I will follow up later and let you all know how I made out.