PDA

View Full Version : slow sluggish 2011 drr 50

bradyn24dad
05-05-2011, 05:47 PM
can someone please help me. I bought a 2011 drr 50 for my son for christmas from hot quads and it still doesnt have over an hour on it. At first when you start it up it rips then when it got warmed up real good you push the throttle in all the way it bawgs down but if you hold it for about a good 5 sec it kicks back in so I just parked it but they said it was the spring so they sent me a new 1500 z spring and I just put it together and started it right up and man is it a dog. You push the throttle and it sounds like its tacked out and you have to ease into the throttle or it sounds like its going to die. It doesnt want to stay running by itself either and were missing all the races and and he was going to race sat but now has to sit and watch my daughter race her 07 90 that rips when you touch the gas. It's going to be up for sale very shortly if it doesnt get fixed by end of weekend. Thanks alot!!!!

nitrofish
05-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Does it do this when on a stand or on the ground? If you have problems when on the stand (wheels off the ground) it is not in the clutch. I am a little perplexed, it sounds as if you have 2 issues going on by your desription. Have you checked the plug, may be fouled. Check your grounds for the electricals as well. Matt.

bradyn24dad
05-05-2011, 07:00 PM
this happens when it's on the ground. see thats funny cause I just took off the light and ignition switch and put on a racing tether cord. So I did all the bypass to the electrical too. I got the directions off of hot quads site and I did everything to the tee and the spring thing it just reves real high but your really not going anywhere. Thanks shawn

nitrofish
05-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Ok, so it seems to rev out good, motor sounds good up on the stand? Are the rollers still intact? Give me a call 2 morrow, I gotta get the boy to bed before momma sees me on this thing when she gets home :) 614.581.0431 Matt. Oh, by the way if you were thinking Fasttraxx they cancelled. Bummer.

desratt
05-05-2011, 07:12 PM
if it doesn't do it on a stand then go with lighter rollers

everyone who bought a 2011 had this problem.

bradyn24dad
05-05-2011, 07:45 PM
ok thanks matt I appreciate it. I'll give you a call.

bradyn24dad
05-05-2011, 07:52 PM
yes the rollers are still there and and it sounded good until I took off. So I need to go lighter then. Ok I'll try that but it's crazy a brand new quad runs this bad when it's really never been riden. It used to start right up and idle good and the way it bawgs I thought is was carburater but thats why I'm on here. Dont know to much about the minis yet but I will sometime. Thanks

nitrofish
05-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Just thought of something, does it have a slipper sprocket?

kfx450
05-06-2011, 06:19 AM
sorry to hijack this thread but if you guys are going to run a gp at fast trax please post and we will come down. We went a couple of times last year but there wern't any other 50's so we were going to retire it and got to a 70. My son is also 5 so it should be a good time.

also I live in new lexington so if you need any help on the 50 give me a call 605-2711 I have move cvt parts laying around than I know what to do with. should have somthing to make that thing run.

nitrofish
05-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Kfx450. We've never tried a GP yet. Last year I was a little nervous to let him outa my sight. We may take a stab at it later this year if it ever dries out, yeah right. We run moto-x in the CRA and we hit traxx a few times a year. We will give you a shout next time. Matt.

asadad00
05-06-2011, 08:10 PM
the stock torque springs don't last very long , so upgrading to the ZTR 1500 was a good idea, now you should upgrade the rollers to match the spring , the stock rolers are 3.5 , you need to try something like 3.75 or 4.0 , and you should be good to go, if the bawg comes back then you rollers are a little too heavy. Your other issue sounds like jetting . I remember when i first started working on the mini's , its a huge learning curve just stay with it and you will conquer, tuning these little quads takes a some experience but if yi you got it from Mark at hot quads then you are connected to one of the best in the business he is always helping us get through a tuninig problem.

bradyn24dad
05-07-2011, 10:04 AM
hey matt sorry never got back till late last night but yes it did come with a slipper clutch. I also heard the race was back on tonight so now I have nothing ready but if he does race I might just let him ride the 90 for tonight and I'll still bring down the 50. Heck my trailer or nothings done so this will be fun.

bradyn24dad
05-07-2011, 10:10 AM
asasad00 thanks I really appreciate the help. I did talk to marc yesterday and thats what he said about the jetting. He said I will need rollers after the spring loosens up some but like you said it sounds like they need done now. I used to race bikes and I'm pretty dumb on the minis so far cause there not like the eton they used to have. It is an awesome quad but man you have to have patience. Marc also tols me about a guy named shawn snyder out of ohio to maybe let him go through it but the help I have on here and the races you guys are going to get to the prob. thanks again

bradyn24dad
05-07-2011, 10:15 AM
kfx450 My son wants to race the motocross but he was talking about the woods too. My daughter wants to ride the woods but shes fast on the track so I'm kinda in a oinch. But just keep in touch and we'd deffinatly ride them plus I live 20 min from you I guess cause you in new lex and I'm in logan. So whenever any of you guys want to ride were all for it. I am not for sure though about tomorrow but I'll let you know here. I need all kinds of parts cause I have another 90 that I'm trying to get running but its an air cooled and I was going to rebuild it or marc at hot quads is helping me decide about a good engine. The I have that drr 125 prototype. Dont know if I should finish it or make a 70. Just let me know what you have. Thanks

bulldogfallon
05-07-2011, 06:58 PM
The 2011 DRX 50Rs certainly need some tweaking out of the box.

The jetting and cvt settings are off....Need a heavier spring and lighter rollers...Nothing too heavy for a torque spring or you will generate too much heat in the CVT case....

If you still need some help give us a shout and hit #4 and you will get our tech....He has fixed a lot of these set ups for folks already.

He will provide the cvt set up and jetting to make it run like it should...

You can still call Marc for your parts....Him and I are buddies....so feel free to let us help if you still need it

Good luck

kfx450
05-07-2011, 07:53 PM
bradyn sent you a pm

bradyn24dad
05-08-2011, 09:34 AM
G-force Thanks I appreciate that and I will call your tech cause I need all the help I can get. Theres alot of stuff I'm lost on and I dont know which parts go with witch and how far can you go to be stock. I was going to get the malossi overange kit and and the stage 6 intake and reed valve but I dont know if I need engine work before that or if that would make it go better. See you can tell I'm new at this. I will be in touch and thanks again.

asadad00
05-09-2011, 08:24 PM
if you plan to run a 50 limited class make sure to check the rules , you can't change much. you cannot change intake or reed cage.

bradyn24dad
05-11-2011, 03:03 AM
ok thats what I was wondering. I knew there was something in there about that so I will have to see what class exactually he's going to run. Thanks

nitrofish
05-11-2011, 06:05 AM
Shawn, we have no local rules for the 50s. CRA nor our local AMA has 50 rules other than age restrictions. If you plan on running some nats. in the 50 limited class you should be concerned about most changes and 50 cvt has some restrictions as well. IMO if you are to make some changes, look at suspension first ( long travel) although that would eliminate you from the national 50 limiteds. We plan to run the 50 cvt at a few nationals when Jack turns 6. I don't feel comfortable with him on stock suspension to run the limited class, he has gotten used to the long travel and he has an older DRR that really restricts him from performance enhancements to be competitive in that class. Have you got that machine running up to par yet? As soon as the boy gets outta school for summer, we plan on doin a wednesday practice down there. See ya, Matt.

bradyn24dad
05-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Hey Matt I've been out of town and now I'm back so I'll get ahold of you tomorrow night if your around. Yeah we would love to hit some of the big ones as well and I'll definately have to figure out whats legal or not. We would love to get the long travel and different shocks soon. I was hoping the new 11 shocks were good cause they can be adjusted to where we need them but I havent had a chance to see how they work cause it's only been riden 3 times around yard and now he doesnt like it so he rides my daughters 90. I really want to make this quad scream but I dont want to dump a bunch of money into it then not be allowed to ride. If it was up to me I'd get everything for it expecially since he rides the 90 and now the 50 is going to seem slow. When does your boy turn 6 cause bradyn dont turn 6 until november but I need to find out when he can ride a 70 as well. I have 2 more 90s here and I want to turn one into a 70 and the other a practice or parts. I still havent got his quad done either and it sounds like I need different rollers and jetted and the jetting is one thing I have never done. This weekend sometime I have got to figure this thing out so he can race somewhere next week cause he's driving me nuts. Well I'll talk to you tomorrow or sometime this weekend to see if you have any other Ideas and also so I can find out what I need to get. Thanks again, Shawn