PDA

View Full Version : 93 90cc TRX won't start

rd2005
05-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Hey got a friend who brought their 93 Trx 90cc quad over. We are trying to help them repair it. The background on it is:

It worked fine until about a month ago. It has always been maintained & taken care of. It was used as a pit bike for his boy & of course was his first ATV when he was little. The boy rode it to get his trophy & when he went to fire it up nothing, & it never fired up since.

I haven't got into it yet but wanted to ask you guys where I should start since the 90cc ATV is different from my 400ex? It is a pull start. He pulled the quad out of the truck & we pushed it into the garage. I had his boy attempt to start it. I thought just maybe it was the plunger in the top end getting stuck like mine was. Anyways it tried to start & then it started but died immediately (only that one time). He has changed the stator because he said he was not getting fire. It is getting fire now. So due to the age & it being a pull start where should I start troubleshooting on this thing? I thought that maybe the ride over to our place or the bounce when he pulled it out of the truck may have helped undo or helped it some way to start because he could not get it to even start like it did in our garage. Any advice would be great.
Anyone know about common problems with these little quads? I'll be getting a book this evening on it to help me out. Also it felt like it was getting good compression when I pulled the plug out. It is old but he has taken care of it. Could use any help I could get on this one!!!! Thanks

yfzfelix
06-10-2011, 10:53 PM
the first thing I would do is make sure the trans is in netural, they will not start if its in gear, believe me I have yanked on the pull start a number of times trying to start it and then realized it was in gear, then check the basics, spark, gas and air, good luck with it, Steve

rd2005
06-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Hey thanks for the advise. I forgot to get back on here & update this thread. After getting into it we found that when you pull the start cord it moves the piston only lets just say 1 time out of 50 pulls. The valves are the same way. There is something wrong with it in the back part gears/shaft area. This is just to much for me to take on so I had to call my friend & let him know I could not fix this one. It will be a job to repair. Thanks again.