PDA

View Full Version : The Mile Run

tman12345
05-05-2011, 08:57 AM
After not being so much into excercise and fitness for the past 5 or so years I started to get back into caring about it. So over the past year Ive started to get back into shape with lifting weights and cardio excercising, mostly running for cardio. When I first started up again I could hardly even run the dreaded mile without wanting to collapse and die, but slowly but surely ive been improving it, right now I can do it in about 8 min 30 sec. I want to be able to do it alot faster and need to be able to also. How fast can you guys run it? and tips on anything?

firefighterjosh
05-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Right now my fast is 10mins lol
Back in high school it was low 6s

You just have to run run run......changing it up helps as well. Do some sprints and stuff and push your self to run more then a mile...trying running2-3 miles then when you go to run your mile time it will be easy.

ridered11
05-05-2011, 09:12 AM
6:48 is my best so far. The way I look at it is its going to suck either way, so you might as well go balls to the wall. I hate finishing and saying to myself I could have shaved x amount of second off that.

If you want to get your mile time down do a lot of endurance geared training/cardio. I also saw big improvements when I cut some weight and focused on legs for weight training.

pmg8134
05-05-2011, 10:20 AM
go for a run with a dog in the woods and try and keep up with them.

ben300
05-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by tman12345
After not being so much into excercise and fitness for the past 5 or so years I started to get back into caring about it. So over the past year Ive started to get back into shape with lifting weights and cardio excercising, mostly running for cardio. When I first started up again I could hardly even run the dreaded mile without wanting to collapse and die, but slowly but surely ive been improving it, right now I can do it in about 8 min 30 sec. I want to be able to do it alot faster and need to be able to also. How fast can you guys run it? and tips on anything?

keep it up man...i run 5k's and stuff and a couple of years ago when is started getting into it, i had a hard time running 2 miles at a time..now im up to doing 8-10 at a time if i want, and my personal best 5k was this past summer with a 20:42 wiht a 6:28 split (2nd mile).....if you keep at it, and pace yourself ad train you'll reach your goals

tman12345
05-05-2011, 10:50 AM
well i lost about like 30 or so pounds this year. And i do run more than the mile sometimes, sometimes 2 or more. I do feel Ive improved since when I started It took around like 10 minutes. I just know I have to push myself cause so much of it is just mentally saying you can keep at it. When I was realy young i held the record at my elementary school back in the day for the fastes mile around 6:42, hope i could get back to that after alot of work.

ben300
05-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by tman12345
well i lost about like 30 or so pounds this year. And i do run more than the mile sometimes, sometimes 2 or more. I do feel Ive improved since when I started It took around like 10 minutes. I just know I have to push myself cause so much of it is just mentally saying you can keep at it. When I was realy young i held the record at my elementary school back in the day for the fastes mile around 6:42, hope i could get back to that after alot of work.

..i've never actually time myself for just a mile....i imagine if i wanted to, i could probably run one somewhere in the 5:15-5:45 range in there...but that would be one mile and me giving it my all for that..

..when you run distance races, you have to learn to pace yourself and run splits, and i never really worried about jsut a single mile

ATVMX33
05-05-2011, 12:25 PM
my best last spring was 6:42
im prolly in the 7s now cause i havent tried in awhile

miller821
05-05-2011, 03:00 PM
I hate running with a passion, but unfortunately I have to do it at least 3X a week...

Focus in on stamina and speed, switching every other time you run...

Running a steady pace for 30 minutes is better than running for a said distance. (IMO) Doing this alone improved my 1.5mi. from a 12:48 to 11:13... Still slow, but a very nice improvement nonetheless.

Also, sprints and such used in football are great! Suicide Runs, goalie drills, spartan runs, bear crawls, etc. will really help you out.

I just came off remedial training for Fire Fighters PT, and have noticed a major increase in stamina from doing all of the following. My 1.5 still sucks at a 10:58, but I feel that I can run a steady pace for much longer now. (Still working on speed)

ben300
05-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by miller821
I hate running with a passion, but unfortunately I have to do it at least 3X a week...

Focus in on stamina and speed, switching every other time you run...

Running a steady pace for 30 minutes is better than running for a said distance. (IMO) Doing this alone improved my 1.5mi. from a 12:48 to 11:13... Still slow, but a very nice improvement nonetheless.

Also, sprints and such used in football are great! Suicide Runs, goalie drills, spartan runs, bear crawls, etc. will really help you out.

I just came off remedial training for Fire Fighters PT, and have noticed a major increase in stamina from doing all of the following. My 1.5 still sucks at a 10:58, but I feel that I can run a steady pace for much longer now. (Still working on speed)

probably the best way to condition your body, and train, to truly increase your running time effectively is to, if for say, your gonna fun 6 days a week, you want to do LSD(Long and Slow duration) runs 4 days a week and do interval training the other two, preferable with your last interval training day being before your rest day....

LSD works great for increasing your overall ability to run longer and farther, however, if you want to run that distance faster, your going to need to do some form of interval training.....

interval training, when done right, will keep your heart rate fluctuating, not allowing your body to adjust to a certain heart rate level....this in the long run, will increase your lung capacity and ability for your heart to pump blood....in return, its gonna let you go harder for that run that your training for

finsteratv
05-05-2011, 06:20 PM
i hit 6:48 in 6th grade and my PE teacher kept telling me i had a gift haha. i got out of it for awhile and now im 2 years older ima try for cross country and see how i do. run run run, pace yourself find a good speed stretch and GO. push till you cant, dont be a whiner haha

Doober
05-06-2011, 01:23 AM
A good way to get your time down is do 10 or more sets of 60/120's. They help a lot. Sprint as fast as you can for 60 secs...walk for 120. We did them in basic and it cut about 3 minutes and 30 seconds(or somewhere close to that) off my 2 mile run time.

ben300
05-06-2011, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by Doober
A good way to get your time down is do 10 or more sets of 60/120's. They help a lot. Sprint as fast as you can for 60 secs...walk for 120. We did them in basic and it cut about 3 minutes and 30 seconds(or somewhere close to that) off my 2 mile run time.

interval training...see my above post

bens250ex
05-06-2011, 03:02 PM
my fastest so far is 6:35. try and workout with someone who will push you

madskrillz2
05-06-2011, 03:24 PM
I did a 6:20 in high school but I probably would be doing good to break 10 now lol. I was never good at the 2 mile. I'd have a good pace for the mile then I would just get too tired. I think the best I ever did 2 miles was maybe 16 minutes

tman12345
05-06-2011, 03:30 PM
I guess itll just a process of getting back into shape and keeping at it. I know i wont magically be fast and full of endurance overnight. It took me some time to get out of shape lol so I know itll take alot in the opposite direction.

KingpinsEx
05-08-2011, 06:30 AM
Running is sort of like weight lifting in that you are not going to see BIG results in weeks or even months, its more like 6 mo to a few years. It is all about conidtioning your body and adapting to it. By best advice is to not over do it and take your time. I have read some good tips and some not so good ones so far. Do not run everyday, espically at the beginning. Usually the every other works best, run/rest. You are asking for injury if you jump into it to fast or push to hard for to long. It is pretty simple how to get the results you want. If you want a fast 1 mile to 5k time do plenty of intervals with one fairly long run per week. If you are trying to build endurance focus on long slow runs. Each will help the other, but you should put the empahsis on either intervals or distance. The best way I found to train is running for time. Do a few timed runs to gage your mile pace at different exertions and then just run for time and not worry about getting caught up in distances. Biggest thing is to stick with it, consistently running 3-4 days per week for at least a few months.