PDA

View Full Version : Please Read

dxcody
05-04-2011, 07:14 PM
I just wanted to give a special thanks to everyone on this forum and especially to Ron.. I ordered my hotcam and new gaskets and my quad fired right up.. Thank you everyone who shared advice. I also had a quick question, on the initial startup i just started it and shut it right back off because i read that you are not supposed to let it idle. How long do i have to run it like this before i can actually ride it?

Thanks again everybody.

IMSROLL450R
05-04-2011, 07:23 PM
I let mine idle for just a minute then hop on and ride it. Run it up and back down several times without winding it up tight and let the engine brake the bike instead of pulling the clutch. I did that several different times then rode this piss outta mine. Im a believer in breaking an engine in the same way you are going to ride it.

vinson581
05-04-2011, 09:34 PM
dont let it idle, just cruise around for a ride varying the throttle without winding it out, a nice easy ride is always the trick! sort of like when you start a fresh built forged engine in a car, 2000rpm - 4000rpm for the first 10 miles :)

tri5ron
05-04-2011, 10:04 PM
I don't know that I deserve any sort of special thanks at all, but for whatever I did that was helpful to you,.... You are welcome.
There are many guys on here, who are far more knowledgeable than myself, who are always willing to help out too.
They deserve a lot more recognition than I ever will.

I'm am always glad to be able to help out where I can,... (and I'm usually not too shy about jumping into someones a$s that deserves it either, LOL!).

Now reguarding your break-in.

I am also of the school where you break it in, the same way you intend on riding it.
That is, under load, rolling all the way into the upper rpm's, and then back down.
This is not to say that you should "SNAP" the throttle.
notice i said to ROLL it into the higher rpms, and then back down.

ride it slow, ride it fast, ride it through all the gears, and do it with some common sense.
you want the engine to break-in, seeing 90% of everything it's EVER going to see.

Don't worry too much about the "don't let it idle'.
Basically that just means don't let it idle in neutral for long periods. As long as it is in gear, and you are riding it, you'll be fine. Idleing in neutral for 10 -15 seconds, then riding it is not going to hurt anything.

just use your head, and you'll be fine.

250x_kyle
05-04-2011, 10:09 PM
trust me ron has a foot the size of ronald mcdonalds shoes if someone needs a swift kick there getting it.

on a more serious note just take it easy for a little bit then youll be good to rip. enjoy the new power while it last because it wont last for long and you will be starving for more.

dxcody
05-05-2011, 02:18 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tri5ron
[B]I don't know that I deserve any sort of special thanks at all, but for whatever I did that was helpful to you,.... You are welcome.
There are many guys on here, who are far more knowledgeable than myself, who are always willing to help out too.

I'm am always glad to be able to help out where I can,... (and I'm usually not too shy about jumping into someones a$s that deserves it either, LOL!).

Well the reason i said especially to you is because you jumped my as$ a little bit about the hot cam.. enough to make me pry open my wallet and do the RIGHT thing and buy a brand new hot cam rather than buying junk and having this whole problem 3 rides later..
Do you think a 450r slip on will work on a 400ex?
The reason i ask is because they dont make the FMF 4.1 for the 400 and that is really what i want because Walker Fowler told me that the FMF powerbomb + the 4.1 is the best combo there is for powergain wise. Though i should really focus on suspesnion rather then buying more power BS, i hate riding with the stocker exhaust and i made up my mind that i am going to deck this quad out the way i want it. and do you know if the Factory 4 is as good as the 4.1?

250x_kyle
05-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by dxcody
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tri5ron
[B]I don't know that I deserve any sort of special thanks at all, but for whatever I did that was helpful to you,.... You are welcome.

Well the reason i said especially to you is because you jumped my as$ a little bit about the hot cam.. enough to make me pry open my wallet and do the RIGHT thing and buy a brand new hot cam rather than buying junk and having this whole problem 3 rides later..
Do you think a 450r slip on will work on a 400ex?
The reason i ask is because they dont make the FMF 4.1 for the 400 and that is really what i want because Walker Fowler told me that the FMF powerbomb + the 4.1 is the best combo there is for powergain wise. Though i should really focus on suspesnion rather then buying more power BS, i hate riding with the stocker exhaust and i made up my mind that i am going to deck this quad out the way i want it. and do you know if the Factory 4 is as good as the 4.1?

i beleive you can make it mount up but the mount location has to be changed. wich is a simple as haveing a new tab welded on. if you try to go that route make sure you pull the packing out before haveing it welded. i would re pack it anyways but just saying that it wont burn out during the welding process if you do intend to reuse the packing.

tri5ron
05-05-2011, 03:45 PM
I see in your sig., you went with the stage 1 hotcam. Since you are on the stock piston, that is a good solid choice. There really is no NEED to change the exhaust yet. You and your bike will GREATLY benefit FAR MORE, with MUCH BETTER RETURNS to upgrade the front shocks, (And add a Steering Stabilizer too).

You have not changed to a higher compression, or bigger bore, so a aftermarket exhaust provides only MINIMAL gains (1-1 1/2 hp).
You would be far better off to find a used slip-on from one of the members here, or on ebay, (Any slip-on is fine, so go for the cheapest you can find), and then do the headpipe welds grind.

Aftermarket Exhausts are WAaaaaayyy over-rated, and WAaaayyy over priced.

Just do the slip-on, headpipe grind.

Add a Sparks +6 timing advance key and you will be very pleased with the results.

Add a '04-'05 450r on top of that, Uni air filter, and you will have around 32 to 33 hp, (stock is 24 to 26), and your quad will still be nearly Bullet-proof for reliability, and it will have some pretty impressive throttle responce too.