PDA

View Full Version : Do u carry registration w/u?

BikeSwimLaugh
05-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Just bought (yet another) quad. I registered it at the DMV and they gave me a green sticker. Of course, I'll apply the sticker on the rear fender and all that good stuff...but what about the registration?

In the past, I've made a copy of the registration, put it in a sealed bag and stashed it next to the battery...but really, is this necessary?? I've almost never been pulled-over by any authorities and when I have, they've probably seen the green sticker but never asked for valid registration. What do you guys say/think?

Thanks

sloppyjoe
05-04-2011, 06:11 PM
never carry any.

trx250xtim
05-04-2011, 06:56 PM
green sticker sounds fine

BikeSwimLaugh
05-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the (brief) replies...

The reason I ask is that the registration clearly states that it, or a copy, must be kept with the vehicle at all times. I know it's fairly critical for a car or road-going vehicle...but a quad????

trx250xtim
05-04-2011, 07:06 PM
if you are worried about maybe a d*ck cop asking for it, which i don't blame you, they tend to be at the right place and right time, keep it in your glovebox or center console if you have one

BikeSwimLaugh
05-04-2011, 07:22 PM
We all have sport quads...but even my one utility quad doesn't have a glove box or center console.

The registration says to keep a copy on the vehicle at all times. I do this for my cars, trucks, RV, boat....but not quads. I used to take a copy of the registration and seal it in a plastic bag and then slip that bag next to the battery under the seat of the quad. I'm curious if anyone else does this or carries registration for their QUAD.

trx250xtim
05-04-2011, 07:26 PM
sorry i should have specified that i meant center console/glove box in your car or truck, unless you have trails or a track that you can simply ride your quad to, if so you shouldn't need registration there but if you are going road bound i say keep it in your car
you could do that under the battery too, or if you have a tool case of some sort (some quads have a plastic one that bolts on to the grab bar... or atleast mine did)

timo_d135
05-04-2011, 07:30 PM
what green sticker are you talking about??

i have a sticker with a year that it expires, kinda like the tabs for a car. is that what your talking about

BikeSwimLaugh
05-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Ahhh.....I see the issue.

Out here in California all offroad vehicles (bikes, quads, buggies, etc)....all get either Green stickers OR red stickers.

The clean-burning 4-stroke's get green stickers...they're about 4" x 3" and have a number & idenfication on them. The red stickers are for 2-strokes, you can only ride them certain times of the years and in certain areas. These stickers are pretty much like license plates; all vehicles must have ID. Street legal stuff gets a small license plate, but offroad vehicles get the little rectangle green or red stickers.

When you register the offroad vehicle, you also get a pink slip and a registration slip...along with the green sticker. You keep the pink in your safe or a drawer at home, you apply the green sticker to the rear fender of the vehicle and the registration is SUPPPOSED to be carried with the vehicle as well (by instructions on the registration paperwork itself).

Even though it's required, I don't really think anyone carries the registration. I guess the registration just shows that the green sticker you have is linked to the actual vehicle and not just a green sticker ripped-off another vehicle or swapped between vehicles.

Sorry, this got way more elaborate then I imagined it could. Forgot that this is a nationwide forum, lol....my bad.

timo_d135
05-04-2011, 07:43 PM
oh ok. California is really picky, in Minnesota we dont have any of that silly stuff. thanks for explaning it

witech
05-04-2011, 07:44 PM
One trick place to store stuff like that is under the handle bar pad cover. It doesnt do any good to have the card in your truck when the police will never let you go to it unless your within sight of it.

krt400ex
05-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by BikeSwimLaugh
Ahhh.....I see the issue.

Out here in California all offroad vehicles (bikes, quads, buggies, etc)....all get either Green stickers OR red stickers.

The clean-burning 4-stroke's get green stickers...they're about 4" x 3" and have a number & idenfication on them. The red stickers are for 2-strokes, you can only ride them certain times of the years and in certain areas. These stickers are pretty much like license plates; all vehicles must have ID. Street legal stuff gets a small license plate, but offroad vehicles get the little rectangle green or red stickers.

When you register the offroad vehicle, you also get a pink slip and a registration slip...along with the green sticker. You keep the pink in your safe or a drawer at home, you apply the green sticker to the rear fender of the vehicle and the registration is SUPPPOSED to be carried with the vehicle as well (by instructions on the registration paperwork itself).

Even though it's required, I don't really think anyone carries the registration. I guess the registration just shows that the green sticker you have is linked to the actual vehicle and not just a green sticker ripped-off another vehicle or swapped between vehicles.

Sorry, this got way more elaborate then I imagined it could. Forgot that this is a nationwide forum, lol....my bad.

man i wouldnt move to california just for that reason, or if i lived there i'd move away. thats just too over the top in my opinion. i've never had to register any machine i've ever owned here

OldGuyonaQuad
05-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Yes I alwasy carry my documents with me. Especially when riding illegally in NJ, so if stopped and get a nice cop/park ranger he will only issue you a $74 trespassing ticket (on state land, private property I hear is $750 or more) as opposed to having your quad impounded, $350 to have it released plus $65 a day storage assuming you can get it registered, otherwise they keep it.

There are additional fines for driving a non regsitered/insured vehicle which can result in loss of lisence as well. God help you if you try to run and get caught.

Hhmm let's see pay a fee and apply a sticker...you lucky *******, you lucky lucky ******* ;)

CJM
05-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Where i ride I dont really need it, but anywhere else it goes with me. Since we go all day I have a small backpack anyways so its a moot point. If I had to carry it on the quad-maybe in the airbox in a baggie?

BikeSwimLaugh
05-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by OldGuyonaQuad
Yes I alwasy carry my documents with me. Especially when riding illegally in NJ, so if stopped and get a nice cop/park ranger he will only issue you a $74 trespassing ticket (on state land, private property I hear is $750 or more) as opposed to having your quad impounded, $350 to have it released plus $65 a day storage assuming you can get it registered, otherwise they keep it.

There are additional fines for driving a non regsitered/insured vehicle which can result in loss of lisence as well. God help you if you try to run and get caught.

Hhmm let's see pay a fee and apply a sticker...you lucky *******, you lucky lucky ******* ;)

No, no,no....I ALWAYS register the quad and apply the green sticker to the fender. I'm just asking if it's worth following the registration instructions to the lettert and also carrying a copy of the registration as well. I'm fairly certain the green sticker alone is good enough.

krt400ex
05-08-2011, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by OldGuyonaQuad

i dont understand this. i have never once had a problem with cops and i'm in jersey too. infact, i've never had an officer tell me i had to have the vehicle registered

ballzdeep38
05-10-2011, 03:59 PM
as a kid my dad always kept the registration under the seats in a ziplok type pouch. when i bought my R i kept the registration in the truck (and put the green sticker on the fender).

I was stopped by a park "Volunteer officer" for crossing a paved road without shutting my quad off in Gorman Ca a few years ago. The voluteer officer (which was written all over his bike) was being a real d**k and told me he was going to give me ticket for "riding on a paved highway". I of coarse started arguing with him. He then thought he would trump my arguements with "alright show me you drivers liscence, pink slip, registration, and your tags, now if you dont have that on you, your up to $1500 in fines". so i replied with "what the h*** are you talking about? do you even know what any of that means? quads dont have tags, they have green stickers and its on the fender where its supposed to be. I dont have to show you the pink slip for ANY vehicle just cuz you asked for it. and there is no law saying i have to insure an off road vehicle." (convieniently leaveing out the the drivers liscence and registration). at that point he cut me off saying "whoa whoa take it easy, just shut your bike of next time alright!" and got back on his bike and left without giving me a ticket.

After that incident though, i now keep a copies of my drivers liscence and registration under my seat in a ziplok pouch...

finsteratv
05-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Just wear a small day pack or camel back thats what i do. riding 60 miles fast no breaks its nice to have a hydration pack!