PDA

View Full Version : 24 volt starting

Scro
05-04-2011, 03:26 PM
A very popular mod for the 450er is wiring in a second battery in series with the first for faster starting. I know the 400ex cranks well compared to the 450r, but has anyone tried this?

beags86
05-04-2011, 03:47 PM
i have used a battery charger set to 24 volts to start my 400 when it had an extremely dead battery. and i was to impatient to wait for a full charge. (when you gota ride you gota ride!)cranked over quick and started right away.

Scro
05-04-2011, 04:12 PM
With the second battery, the only component getting the 24 volts is the starter. The rest of the system is still ran off the first battery, only seeing 12 volts. When you hooked it up to the charger at 24 volts, I'm surprised you didn't fry everything. :p

CJM
05-04-2011, 11:53 PM
Just use the more powerful busa battery, mine never has issues even turning over my hotcam and 11:1. Trick is to up the pilot too, to a 40 or 42-then it gives it enough damn gas to start up right lol.

BikeSwimLaugh
05-05-2011, 12:02 AM
We used to do this occassionally with an insulation blowing machine that was often hard to sart. Bottom line, when you slap the starter with 24-volts, you are on borrowed-time: it will melt the windings and mess-up the solenoid eventually.

Let's put it this way...if a huge guy in a hockey mask and large machette is coming at you and the only way to start your quad is to hit it with the 24-volts (CPR style)...do it, otherwise double-up the batteries in parallel to create more amperage and maybe blast some spray-start into the air filter for that insta-kick. Bottle of spray-start is much cheaper and easier then changing-out a fried starter!

Scro
05-05-2011, 06:22 AM
The starter can handle it. With 24 volts, you literally only have to tap the button for it to fire on the 450. So it's not like you are cranking on it for minutes at a time. I had 24 volts on my starter for over two years before parting it out, and it was still going strong.

I don't own a 400ex. I was just wondering why I haven't heard of anyone doing it, since it's so popular with the 450's.

ae13291
05-05-2011, 01:16 PM
the 400ex starts fine with a new battery, and you can remove that resister in the 400ex spark plug boot to aid in the easier start.

DnB_racing
05-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by BikeSwimLaugh
We used to do this occassionally with an insulation blowing machine that was often hard to sart. Bottom line, when you slap the starter with 24-volts, you are on borrowed-time: it will melt the windings and mess-up the solenoid eventually.

Let's put it this way...if a huge guy in a hockey mask and large machette is coming at you and the only way to start your quad is to hit it with the 24-volts (CPR style)...do it, otherwise double-up the batteries in parallel to create more amperage and maybe blast some spray-start into the air filter for that insta-kick. Bottle of spray-start is much cheaper and easier then changing-out a fried starter! actually when you raise the voltage you use less amps,(basic ohms law)
its the amps that create the heat,
24volt to the starter is much better for your starter then 12 volt, and wired properly there isn't any chance of any system damage

there's more damage done by a weak battery then 2- 12v batteries wired in series

beags86
05-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Scro
With the second battery, the only component getting the 24 volts is the starter. The rest of the system is still ran off the first battery, only seeing 12 volts. When you hooked it up to the charger at 24 volts, I'm surprised you didn't fry everything. :p

me too lol,

but its a trick i have refined over the years messing with old cars and trucks.(have fried stuff in the past) you hook it up turn on the key, flip the switch to 24 in one hand the push the starter button close to the same time with the otherhand. works like a fr*ckin charm

xcracer416
05-05-2011, 11:39 PM
i have it on mine wired up the correct way and i have to put the starter clutch on my flywheel at least once a year.

high compression dosent help out either.

if i breath on my start button it fires up. i just hate the kick back it does sometimes when its cold, when it does it im buying a starter clutch

DnB_racing
05-06-2011, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by xcracer416
i have it on mine wired up the correct way and i have to put the starter clutch on my flywheel at least once a year.

high compression dosent help out either.

if i breath on my start button it fires up. i just hate the kick back it does sometimes when its cold, when it does it im buying a starter clutch I have 14.5:1 compression piston in my 450 with 24 volt,

the only time thing that will cause any issues with the starter clutch is if I give it throttle when im trying to start , or my idle is to high, I found if the clutch fries its usually my fault! dont touch the gas during start up!!its been three years since Ive replaced my starter clutch, and last time it was my fault,

once I learned how delicate the starter clutch was i had no more problems,
also keeping your quad running in top condition will help so it wants to start right away,( if it doesn't start within 1 second) then dont try starting it!!
clean quality gas, and a clean carb, and filter, all take the strain of all starting components, if your getting kickback you need to fix something, its not running to its potential, cold and old fuel is a good chance for kickback

I have found less wear after adding second battery, less slipping and quicker starter clutch engagement, I haven't had any kickback with the starter turning faster it just starts right away, even when zero degrees

I have done many mods on my quad and this is by far the most reliable modification Ive done!!Ive had it almost 2 years now with out even a hiccup!

400excracer
05-06-2011, 08:37 AM
The 400EX starts very fast and doesnt need the second battery. I got rid of my 06 450ER because I hated the way it started. I was midpack on my XC race starts with the 450ER and always top three with the 400EX.

NacsMXer
05-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Isn't there a higher cold cranking amp battery for the 450R of the same or similar size you could install?

That's why a lot of us 400EX guys like to install a Yuasa "Hayabusa" battery. It's the exact same dimensions as stock, but with a lot more CCA's so it fires up a lot faster. Seems like two batteries would be a lot of unnecessary weight.

You might be able to negate the weight disadvantage if you went with a pair of batteries from Braille, or http://www.antigravitybatteries.com/. Expensive, but that would be a slick setup.

CJM
05-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Im pretty positive GT thunder has those type of batteries that antigravity carries-but they aint very cheap.