PDA

View Full Version : Buying/Trading a Motorcycle out of state

Sjorge450R
05-04-2011, 01:59 PM
So heres the deal. I am going to pick up a CBR in MD this weekend and I am from PA. I am trading my 450r straight up for it.

Heres the deal. How do I go about paying a sales tax on the bike? Do we estimate a value or what. Also, will I have to pay sales tax for both MD and PA? I know I can figure this out of I go to a dmv but I was wondering if anyone else knew so I could be prepared.

CJM
05-04-2011, 02:12 PM
Should just be able to go to the DMV and when they issue you a new title (or registration, depends on the state) they nail you for the tax.

If your trading, make sure you put down a decent value that doesnt seem to low-but not to high. Say 1500 bucks so you dont pay insane taxes.

Sjorge450R
05-04-2011, 02:34 PM
The closest Notary to this guy is 30min in the opposite direction that I need to go! Damn remote parts of MD lol

I really dont mind the driving and such as I really just want to have this bike in my possession. I cannot wait. Went to the DMV today, got my permit. Can I insure the bike now if I had the vin, so that I can ride it when I get it, and not have to try to do all of that on a saturday? I know the bike isnt in my name yet, but I feel like I can call an insurance company, start a policy and have the start date set for Saturday, correct?

outacontrol
05-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Correct on the insurance. Just make it effective saturday. Once u get temp registration ur insurance will want a copy. U might want to check with md dmv but u probably need a temp insurance card before the notary in md will issue u a temp registration no matter if its being trucked home or rode. Gets a little tricky sometimes when there are two states involved.
You will only pay the sales tax to pa since that's where it will be registered.

chucked
05-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Where is it in MD?

Sjorge450R
05-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by chucked
Where is it in MD?

I PM'd you.