PDA

View Full Version : New Headphons....recomendations?

ben300
05-04-2011, 07:48 AM
Hey, i was wondering if any of you guys have/had and use either the Beats by Dr. Dre monster tour ear buds or the bose IE2 headphones?

Im looking to get a new pair of high resolution headphones because one of the ear piece in my $80 sony ear buds that i use in my zune when i run stopped working after about a year of use. this is my second pair of sony's that have done that. I wet out adn bought a $60 pair of skull candy ear buds, and while they sound ok, they are not the best on comfort and make a popping noise while i run from time to time....so i was wondering if anyone uses these or had any recomendations?

Canadian144
05-04-2011, 08:28 AM
I always find that the Beats by Dre headphones (in ear, over ear, regardless) all sound pretty bass heavy. So if you listen to mostly hip-hop/rap/electronic music then they will be great. Bose lacks bass compared to the Beats, so if you listen to a broader range of music then they would probably be better.

I was deciding between the Beats by Dre Studio headphones and Bose QC15s, went with the Bose, though I do listen to a fair bit of rap/electronic music, I also listen to a lot of classic rock so they would good all-around.

If you're buying either set, I say buy them from Bestbuy, as there are LOTS of fakes out there on craigslist and ebay. I unknowingly bought a pair of fake Bose in-ears a few years back, they sounded the same as the crappy apple headphones that came with my ipod, they were just more comfortable. They looked identical to the real things though.

ben300
05-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Canadian144
I always find that the Beats by Dre headphones (in ear, over ear, regardless) all sound pretty bass heavy. So if you listen to mostly hip-hop/rap/electronic music then they will be great. Bose lacks bass compared to the Beats, so if you listen to a broader range of music then they would probably be better.

I was deciding between the Beats by Dre Studio headphones and Bose QC15s, went with the Bose, though I do listen to a fair bit of rap/electronic music, I also listen to a lot of classic rock so they would good all-around.

If you're buying either set, I say buy them from Bestbuy, as there are LOTS of fakes out there on craigslist and ebay. I unknowingly bought a pair of fake Bose in-ears a few years back, they sounded the same as the crappy apple headphones that came with my ipod, they were just more comfortable. They looked identical to the real things though.

Ya, I bought the skull candies from bestbuy a couple days ago, so ill be returning them and getting them from there. I mainly listen to country and rock, but I use my zune primarily when I workout/run, and listen to a lot of metal and some rap when I do that, so I do appreciate a wider spectrum of sound that is sharp and enhanced. The skull candies are ok, but I was listening to some avenged sevenfold on them and it just kinda sounded like I was listening to the music through a haze. The guitar riffs were not very sharp and detailed and the drums just really didn't pop out at me.

Kickstarts-suck
05-04-2011, 09:34 AM
My mom has the bose. They sound really good.

I bought the radius atomic bass headphones for my GF and they sounded great but they were cheaply made and fell apart. They now have the 2nd version of them out and they are supposed to be better now.

I like bass in my music so I like those.

bbender85
05-04-2011, 09:56 AM
... they sounded the same as the crappy apple headphones that came with my ipod,

if you put the apple earbuds in sideways (speaker facing forward) they sound great.. better than any cheap pair of buds or regular headphones i've ever had. bass response is MUCH improved and the "tin" sound is no longer.

NacsMXer
05-04-2011, 10:26 AM
I have the Bose Triport earbuds, I believe they are the predecessor to the new IE2's.

Stepping up from original ipod earbuds, they are a HUGE step up in audio quality. The bass and midrange are extremely impressive for an earbud. The sound quality is extremely rich, but I have found the highs to be somewhat lacking/drowned out as a compromise.

I'm pretty happy with them, but when these give up i'm upgrading to Shure earbuds. They are professional quality for true audiophiles. I'm liking the new Shure SE215's, which are similarly priced to the Bose earbuds, but with much better performance. They actually have mini subwoofers (drivers) built into them, and from what I have heard have a lot clearer sound quality. They are also noise isolating which can be a plus in loud environments. Definitely next on my list when the time comes :macho

ben300
05-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
I have the Bose Triport earbuds, I believe they are the predecessor to the new IE2's.

Stepping up from original ipod earbuds, they are a HUGE step up in audio quality. The bass and midrange are extremely impressive for an earbud. The sound quality is extremely rich, but I have found the highs to be somewhat lacking/drowned out as a compromise.

I'm pretty happy with them, but when these give up i'm upgrading to Shure earbuds. They are professional quality for true audiophiles. I'm liking the new Shure SE215's, which are similarly priced to the Bose earbuds, but with much better performance. They actually have mini subwoofers (drivers) built into them, and from what I have heard have a lot clearer sound quality. They are also noise isolating which can be a plus in loud environments. Definitely next on my list when the time comes :macho

ya, ive contemplated shure, but the only ones they ahve available at best buy are the over the ear style head phones, and im not looking for that for running...jsut something about havin padding on the side of m head when im sweating my *** off 4 miles into and 8 mile run, doesnt seem appealing..

NacsMXer
05-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by ben300
ya, ive contemplated shure, but the only ones they ahve available at best buy are the over the ear style head phones, and im not looking for that for running...jsut something about havin padding on the side of m head when im sweating my *** off 4 miles into and 8 mile run, doesnt seem appealing..

I agree with that. Buy them online though. Amazon has them for 99.95, you can read people's reviews. I don't think I would settle for "consumer" grade earbuds again after hearing such good things about the Shure's.

insaneracin2003
05-04-2011, 11:48 AM
I bought a pair of SkullCandy ear buds...they were 39.99 dollars and actually sound pretty good.

SRH
05-04-2011, 12:42 PM
get the sleek by 50, wireless and what not, pretty trick

Canadian144
05-04-2011, 03:37 PM
Ya, I bought the skull candies from bestbuy a couple days ago, so ill be returning them and getting them from there. I mainly listen to country and rock, but I use my zune primarily when I workout/run, and listen to a lot of metal and some rap when I do that, so I do appreciate a wider spectrum of sound that is sharp and enhanced. The skull candies are ok, but I was listening to some avenged sevenfold on them and it just kinda sounded like I was listening to the music through a haze. The guitar riffs were not very sharp and detailed and the drums just really didn't pop out at me.

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of skullcandies lol... they do look pretty good but they don't sound that great. With my bose QC15 (over the ears), everything is so clear, you can hear EVERY little minute detail in the music if you want. I love listening to them before falling asleep, so nice and crisp.

Originally posted by bbender85
if you put the apple earbuds in sideways (speaker facing forward) they sound great.. better than any cheap pair of buds or regular headphones i've ever had. bass response is MUCH improved and the "tin" sound is no longer.

I've always found them uncomfortable regardless.

Originally posted by NacsMXer

Yeah Shures are fantastic! I don't usually walk around with my Bose QC15s since they are over the ear, so instead I have a pair of Shure SE210 in-ear headphones. They are amazing, I bought them for $120 off the internet, from a verified seller, so they are not rip-offs! lol

I'm planning to get an iphone in September, so I'll either have to get some proper mobile-specific headphones (like Bose mIE2is or Vmoda Vibratos) or get this adapter piece for my Shures. The adapter piece is $50, almost half of the price of new Boses/Vmodas. But I suppose I'll notice the "downgrade", and would be better off just getting the adapter.

http://www.shurecanada.com/PersonalAudio_NEW/EN/earphones/CLB.html

Lasher
05-04-2011, 04:21 PM
I listen to headphones all the time at work. They need to be comfortable and sound really good. I am just picky on how music sounds. I listen to classic to heavy metal and everything in between.

I recently had to buy a new pair and when I went to all the stores around, 90% of the headphones sounded like crap. Too much bass etc...etc.

I brought a pair of Sennheiser over the ear head phones. Model HD428 I think. I can wear them all day long without a problem. Plus they sound awesome.

Most of the headphones I tried were nothing but marketing ploys. Flashy ads or cool sounding names.

NacsMXer
05-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Yeah, I'm not really a fan of skullcandies lol... they do look pretty good but they don't sound that great. With my bose QC15 (over the ears), everything is so clear, you can hear EVERY little minute detail in the music if you want. I love listening to them before falling asleep, so nice and crisp.

I've always found them uncomfortable regardless.

Yeah Shures are fantastic! I don't usually walk around with my Bose QC15s since they are over the ear, so instead I have a pair of Shure SE210 in-ear headphones. They are amazing, I bought them for $120 off the internet, from a verified seller, so they are not rip-offs! lol

I'm planning to get an iphone in September, so I'll either have to get some proper mobile-specific headphones (like Bose mIE2is or Vmoda Vibratos) or get this adapter piece for my Shures. The adapter piece is $50, almost half of the price of new Boses/Vmodas. But I suppose I'll notice the "downgrade", and would be better off just getting the adapter.

http://www.shurecanada.com/PersonalAudio_NEW/EN/earphones/CLB.html

Yeah, the SE210's were out when I bought my Bose Triports. They were around the same price, and I sort of regretted settling for the Bose, since the Shure's undoubtedly have a lot better sound quality. The SE215's are the newer upgraded version of the SE210's, with the latest technology of the more expensive Shure's, but at a lower price.

krt400ex
05-05-2011, 09:55 AM
i use V-Moda's. they are excellent headphones, very high quality. pricey at $80+ a pair but well worth it. i've never had a problem. they come through crystal clear. much much better than the $70 sony's i used before them. by comparison, sony is like hot wheels to v-moda's ferrari. they dont seem to have quite as much bass, but you hear every high, mid, and low so clearly that it doesnt matter. i've had them for three years and never once hear a crackle out of them. plus they come with a thing that you can clip on the wires to run up and over your ear so that they wont fall out during heavy physical activity. i believe the wires are wrapped in kevlar lol

honda400ex2003
05-05-2011, 03:13 PM
my old gf used to have the ear bud bose ones, they seemed pretty nice for listening.

I prefer over the ear sound cancelling, i have quiet comfort 15s that are great but pricey. they are well worth every penny imo but if you are strickly looking for ear buds and something less than 300 bucks they are def out. I like them for keeping background noise out, i study in busy places so i love to just have everything gone behind me. its bad enough i can see people walking around as a distraction. you will not hear anything with bose qc 15s, a bomb could go off and you would never know.

as with the rest, i have heard and can verify that the beats are pretty bass heavy. its nice sometimes but if you listen to alot of genres they can get old quick. the bose setups are crisp for everything and every genre and will take bass pretty well but they will not bump like 12s in your back seat of your car. the bose are the most crisp i have ever heard for everything from classical to hard rock and everything inbetween.

my vote, bose.

steve

ben300
05-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
my old gf used to have the ear bud bose ones, they seemed pretty nice for listening.

I prefer over the ear sound cancelling, i have quiet comfort 15s that are great but pricey. they are well worth every penny imo but if you are strickly looking for ear buds and something less than 300 bucks they are def out. I like them for keeping background noise out, i study in busy places so i love to just have everything gone behind me. its bad enough i can see people walking around as a distraction. you will not hear anything with bose qc 15s, a bomb could go off and you would never know.

as with the rest, i have heard and can verify that the beats are pretty bass heavy. its nice sometimes but if you listen to alot of genres they can get old quick. the bose setups are crisp for everything and every genre and will take bass pretty well but they will not bump like 12s in your back seat of your car. the bose are the most crisp i have ever heard for everything from classical to hard rock and everything inbetween.

my vote, bose.

steve

well, call me a tool, i dunno, maybe i was justing going for the straight bling factor, but i ended up purchasing the Beats Tour ear buds....and so far, i am more than pleased with them. The more i listen to them, the more i hear different things in the music that i didnt notice before with my $80 sony's that i had. i've listened to them quite a bit in the past 24 hours, and have sampled every thing from rap/hip hop, to bluegrass, to some metal like children of bodom, and i amazed...i was alwasy skeptical of purchasing something so expensive, but i am hearing new sound, separation, and range from instruments that i previously did not notice....

i was also surprised at the fact that these buds arent as base heavy as the over the ear style beats head phones. i feel that these ear buys, while having excellent base, have a wide, very detail range of fidelity.

something that also i for my self find different from other users is ive read online from numerous reviews that they were uncomfortable and didnt stay in the ear very well when working out, but i have now ran two days with them, a 3.2 and a 4 mile run and i feel that they stay in the ear very well, and the cable doesnt flop around like the sonys or skull candies of used...

..all in all, im happy with my choice....i will how ever, here in month or so, once i start my new job, be looking at purchasing either the beats pro hd's or a pair of the bose QC15 for when i go on flights to other countries for work...i tested the bose, and i was amazed on the sound quality and the comfort...

BoneStockHonda
05-05-2011, 08:25 PM
DO NOT BUY SKULLCANDYS! The left earbud went out after 2 months on my pair along with 2 of my brother's pair. I also know multiple people who had the same problem. If you have the money get the Beats for sure. Hands down the best sounding headphones and earbuds I've ever listened to.

rbgnwa45
05-06-2011, 10:12 AM
What I'm about to say is going to be like going to a Civic forum to inform the world about a new company called Ferrari. I've tried all kinds of expensive headphones, ranging from $100 to $500.

I bought Grado Labs SR80's for $113 shipped on Ebay, and they're hands down the best headphone out of ANY mentioned here. Grado Labs makes the best headphones in the world, too, and they cost like $2000-$3000 on Ebay.

You really think these "Beats" by Dr. Dre and "Sleek" by Fiddy cans are worth buying? Think again. Look at how expensive they are, you're paying for a name who doesn't give a damn about true audiophile quality, don't get me started on wireless. They don't sound anywhere near as good as Grado Labs, and once you hear quality you will never go back.

A perfect mix of $ for quality would be Grado Labs SR325's with different ear pads for around ~$350. If you can't afford that than look for SR80's for ~$100, you'll still never consider $300+ for a pair of rapper-headphones.

ben300
05-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by rbgnwa45
What I'm about to say is going to be like going to a Civic forum to inform the world about a new company called Ferrari. I've tried all kinds of expensive headphones, ranging from $100 to $500.

I bought Grado Labs SR80's for $113 shipped on Ebay, and they're hands down the best headphone out of ANY mentioned here. Grado Labs makes the best headphones in the world, too, and they cost like $2000-$3000 on Ebay.

You really think these "Beats" by Dr. Dre and "Sleek" by Fiddy cans are worth buying? Think again. Look at how expensive they are, you're paying for a name who doesn't give a damn about true audiophile quality, don't get me started on wireless. They don't sound anywhere near as good as Grado Labs, and once you hear quality you will never go back.

A perfect mix of $ for quality would be Grado Labs SR325's with different ear pads for around ~$350. If you can't afford that than look for SR80's for ~$100, you'll still never consider $300+ for a pair of rapper-headphones.

Well, infact you would be going on a honda forum and talking about a monster truck. I love the pure fact that reading and comprehension must have evaded you as a child in public schooling, cause if you would have actually read my posts, you would have understood that I was not looking for over the ear, studio quality headphones.

I was specifically looking at two different pair of headphones, in ear to be precise, that I was going to use while running. I elaborated on this above, if you would have read. So as far s I'm concerned, I'm happy with my choice, nd could honestly care less about what you think you know:rolleyes:

rbgnwa45
05-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Well, infact you would be going on a honda forum and talking about a monster truck. I love the pure fact that reading and comprehension must have evaded you as a child in public schooling, cause if you would have actually read my posts, you would have understood that I was not looking for over the ear, studio quality headphones.

I was specifically looking at two different pair of headphones, in ear to be precise, that I was going to use while running. I elaborated on this above, if you would have read. So as far s I'm concerned, I'm happy with my choice, nd could honestly care less about what you think you know:rolleyes:

Thanks for that useless analogy that had to be politically correct and so similiar to mine. I can comprehend just fine, but I'm not going to get ahead of myself and assume that I can do it better than you because you're the know-it-all. I couldn't care less about what you think I think I know, funny of you to sound like you know more about headphones than me when you're the one asking about them. There's more people reading this thread than just you.

P.S. Your in-ear choice sucks.

ben300
05-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Thanks for that useless analogy that had to be politically correct and so similiar to mine. I can comprehend just fine, but I'm not going to get ahead of myself and assume that I can do it better than you because you're the know-it-all. I couldn't care less about what you think I think I know, funny of you to sound like you know more about headphones than me when you're the one asking about them. There's more people reading this thread than just you.

like i said, i didnt want your head phones...you probably dont know anything more than you read..

oh ya...and PS, make sure your mom tucks you in tonight and reads to a bead time story, you must not have been loved enough as a child:macho

krt400ex
05-08-2011, 01:14 PM

i'm going to be the a-hole here and tell you to shut your face. i am absolutely beyond tired of people starting cyber arguements. the guy asked for opinions. everyone here has given them. he said he wanted an ear bud style headphone. if you dont have any recommendation on what he is asking, then stay out of it. dont rail off telling him how his choice sucks. in his opinion, your choice sucks. get over it. its called individuality and everyone is entitled to their opinion. have a little cooth, think before you speak, or dont open your mouth because we dont need to sift through a punk starting sh*t when our goal is to be informative and gain information.

ben300
05-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
i'm going to be the a-hole here and tell you to shut your face. i am absolutely beyond tired of people starting cyber arguements. the guy asked for opinions. everyone here has given them. he said he wanted an ear bud style headphone. if you dont have any recommendation on what he is asking, then stay out of it. dont rail off telling him how his choice sucks. in his opinion, your choice sucks. get over it. its called individuality and everyone is entitled to their opinion. have a little cooth, think before you speak, or dont open your mouth because we dont need to sift through a punk starting sh*t when our goal is to be informative and gain information.

thanks man. im glad someone feels the same way i did about his posts. i really dont care if he invented the first head phone, or has owned an audio speaker shop his whole life (which i highly doubt he has), his post was not about what i was asking and he basically was a straight up dick about it. its nice to know there are still some people on here that understand