View Full Version : 2012 400x is out

honda400ex2003
05-03-2011, 10:13 PM
well theres the link...

http://powersports.honda.com/2012/trx400x.aspx

come on honda... i hold my head low again this year.

thoughts?
steve

CJM
05-03-2011, 10:22 PM
I was hoping they would have tried to at least add more umph to the engine-way to go its 2008 all over again.

ae13291
05-03-2011, 10:25 PM
wow thing looks amazing.

honda400ex2003
05-03-2011, 10:25 PM
bold new graphics again!

fi, liquid cooling, 450 shocks, anything...

though we got nothing. would have been nice to get an fi head that we could bolt onto the old bottom ends. :devil:

oh well, im glad i have a classic one, at least those are cool.
steve

400man
05-03-2011, 11:57 PM
they should atleast come stock with a spal fan and some kind of oil temp thermostat dew-hicky :o

PaRedneckRiders
05-04-2011, 04:34 AM
Things like this make me wonder??
It just seems like honda has been slacking in the whole ATV section but picking up in the bike section more and more.

In all honesty is it going to be all that much greater than previous 400s??

The last production quads honda had were the 2009 400x and 450r even the 700xx. They say they should have something amazing coming up but in my mind im really starting to doubt it.
Like i said the last Honda quads were 09 but you have bikes rolling out all the time like they just cant wait to design something totally new.

Sorry guys i could go on and on but i just thought i would throw my 2cents in here

RNL
05-04-2011, 05:46 AM
Pitiful. At least drop some weight, more aggresive cam or a little higher comp piston. Geez..................

Red_250EX_Rider
05-04-2011, 06:13 AM
Same as the 08,09. I figured with that much time we would see water-cooled or something, not a simple 5 miniute color change.

Shawthy33
05-04-2011, 02:22 PM
Nobody has mentioned this yet but hopefully we're all somewhat conscious of it. There is NO money in the quad industry at the moment, and hasn't been for awhile.

From the Top-down:

Pro-Racing:

AMA Pro Atv Racing - CanAm and ____ for Factory Teams? Bare-bones TV coverage, Minimal sponsorship money in the sport, Factory Teams going bankrupt, Pro riders running the NEATV circuit instead of the national circuit. Awesome for us up here, but almost laughable compared to the other forms of motorsports around the country.

AMA Dirtbikes - National TV Coverage, X-Games publicity, top 5 guys are legitimate global celebrities. Big $$$ Corporate Sponsors in Oakley, Redbull, Monster Energy etc

Compare James Steward to Chad Wienen....paints that picture pretty clearly.

MotoGP & Superbike Racing - Massive World Stage racing. International TV coverage, Magazine coverage across the globe, massive competition for streetbike technology and advancement.

Market Size - certainly all of the below are effected by the current global economy:

Dirtbikes - cheap to own, operate, maintain, buy. More places to ride due to size, destruction of property, tracks. Less Gov't regulations on age/motor size

Motorcycles - ride on any public road, argument over

I have no idea what the statistics are over sales figures for Dirtbikes/Streetbikes/Quads but I'm sure the figures are staggering.

Research and Development - money is spent on the products that get media coverage and are profitable. If the amount of R&D that is spent on Streetbikes every year was spent on Quads, I'll bet we'd have some ridiculous products on the market. But due to the number of sales, they'd all cost over $10k and nobody would buy them.

Setting up new machinery to weld new frames, forge new heads, cast new internals all is super expensive and would need to be spread out over the number of units sold, again driving prices through the roof, when very few units are actually sold.

I'm not trying to say there is ZERO money in Quads, I'm just saying when compared to the likes of Dirtbikes and Streetbikes, Quads get a very very small piece of the total industry pie.

After all, Honda (insert any other brand here) is trying to run a for-profit company.

BenHonda400ex
05-04-2011, 03:57 PM
I wish they would atleast do liquid cooled, 400's are dogs when they are ran on a 90 degree day with direct sunlight. But 700XX's have alot of power, my friend has one and they extremely fast and have alot of power. I think they don't change anything because why change something that isn't wrong?

beags86
05-04-2011, 04:07 PM
you guys want, want, want. more, more, more, new, new, new....but yet when some new guys pops on here and says.

"which quad should i buy _________(insert quad here) or a 400ex and why?"

all you guys pipe up and say "400, 400, 400ex!! because they are__________________________________________(inse rt million different reasons how and why 400ex are so great) then go on to say you __(how many) you own/owned and know__(how many people) who owned them.

give me a break, i would like to see some improvements as well, but if its not broke don't fix it.

also don't come knocking on my door when (or if) they make improvements and they suck and things start breaking.
while your retro-fitting 2013 F.I. throttle body on your 2003, trying to figure out how to make an air box that fits under your old seat. or how your going to use that redesigned jug with water cooling.

i'll be out on the trail riding not worrying about if the new quad i'm not buying has 450r shocks, an oil cooler fan, a temp dipstick, and more power then the last yr. because i already have a quad with all that.

trxPOWER
05-04-2011, 05:00 PM
well guys, id like to see some new stuff but when you REALLY think about it, how can they get the thing any more perfect for trail riding stock? I wouldnt say front shock, they actully do really good for trail riding, with the low compression they have the things last for ever with incredably low maintenance. I mean the things are just set up to be an awsome trail quad.

ridehonda400ex
05-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Even tho I couldnt afford a new 400ex. The 400, in my eyes, is a GREAT all around quad. The 400's now are easy to maintain, easy to ride, and last FOREVER. Sure it would be nice to have F.I. and liquid cooling but that is Just more to go wrong. Sure, I think it would be great to have 450r front shocks on the 400ex but not as stiff and actually made for the 400ex, That would be great. And the 400ex always sells, which is why Honda makes more of them and hasn't changed them yet. The 450r's on the other hand, a new one hasn't came out yet to my knowledge, and its got everything the 400ex owners want, liquid cooled, F.I. Higher Comp., but you can still go buy leftovers from 2007! So like a few guys said before, If its not broke, don't fix it!

matt14c
05-04-2011, 06:31 PM
From a buisness standpoint why change anything? This is one of the best selling atv's of all time. Would everything everyone wanted be nice.... sure then the price goes up. With fuel injection and 450 shocks it would cost as much as a 450 so who would buy it then? To be honest I dont want a FI quad unless its utility. But I like to tinker with toys i dont know crap about fi. The Upgraded shocks would be nice and liquid cooled would be all i would ever want honda to change about this bike. But thats what I want what do i think they will do.. prolly have come in yellow again next year!!

Red_250EX_Rider
05-04-2011, 06:33 PM
I do agree with the above posters, Once are air-cooled engines leave the up keep sets in on it. Im happy with the 400ex no doubt about that.

400man
05-05-2011, 12:06 AM
if you guys want liquid coolding........just get a 450r :o

I say leave the 400ex motor like it is, and maybe only change the compression ratio or cam and thats it.

CJM
05-05-2011, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by 400man
if you guys want liquid coolding........just get a 450r :o

I say leave the 400ex motor like it is, and maybe only change the compression ratio or cam and thats it.

Thats what it needs imho, preferably both. Hopping from mine to a stock 400 just feels pitiful.

BikeSwimLaugh
05-05-2011, 12:21 AM
Changes cost money and I think most of us would widely agree the 400EX is an awesome quad of an almost unbeatable nature. And ya know what, I rather enjoy mod'ing my quad to make it my own.

I understand the lack of money in this industry, so I equally understand why Honda is just sticking with the same tried & true formula....but hey, why not borrow a page out of the book of Porsche and offer another upgraded version of the 400EX....perhaps call it the 400EX PRO

Real front shocks (cause the stock are pathetic)
Steering stabilizer
Nerf bars
Swing-arm and belly plate protection
Sparks key
Exhaust system
Air filter
Upgraded 6-ply tires on all four corners

All the reliability in an upgraded package...more power, better handling and superior protection.

dxcody
05-05-2011, 01:24 AM
hey but the 500 foreman is Fuel injected so maybe they finally made the 450r fuel injected as well!

ish416
05-05-2011, 08:34 AM
Did anyone honestly expect anything different from Honda?

After checking the Honda website only the 400 and 90 are 2012's. I noticed that there are no upgrades whatsoever from the previous year besides BNG's.

Honda has failed to make a class leading quad since the 400EX debuted in late 98.

The 300EX hasn't been updated since they punched out the 250x and gave it electric start.

The 90 has been the same since ancient times.

The Honda 450R was always behind the YFZ and all the other 450s. I am talking showroom stock.

The 700XX nobody knows what it was made for except for Baja. It's pretty sad when a Polaris (Outlaw IRS) is better than a Honda at least in my part of the country.

I will be surprised if the next 450R is anything but a styling change.

Shawthy33
05-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by ish416
Did anyone honestly expect anything different from Honda?

I will be surprised if the next 450R is anything but a styling change.

I agree with you. Without a factory race team, or any race support what-so-ever, where is the incentive to build a class leading race quad? There isn't one.

250Renvy
05-06-2011, 10:34 AM
I think you guys are all wrong. But I think Honda may start to be wrong as well.

I'm not sure about now, but in mid 2000's ATV's outsold PWC, dirtbikes, and snowmobiles combined.

Dirtbikes get innovation because they would not sell if every year they didn't have some kind of new competitive edge. TV and sponsorships of races make that possible.

Companies were making all kinds of money off of ATV's yet still not innovating? WHY? Because there is not a huge race market, 90% of what is sold are trail machines and 4x4's.

However, now that the market is soft, they may need to start innovating as you have seen in bigger bore 4x4's and FI and independent rear suspension and GPS and powersteering in the 4x4 market. WHY? Because if there are no new gadgets there are SOOOOO many used machines out there that people have no incentive to buy new.

Case in point. I'm looking at a 4x4 now and am I looking at Used machines - NO - why because I want powersteering and all the latest stuff and it's not that much more than a used one without all that stuff.

426kidz
05-06-2011, 07:05 PM
looks nice....thas bout it;) :eek2:

426kidz
05-06-2011, 07:05 PM
looks nice....thas bout it;) :eek2:

Miguel1994
05-07-2011, 01:40 PM
"Look dad, the new TRX400X!"

"No, it is just like the one I bought 12 years ago..."

BlasterEaten250
05-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Gosh those things are ugly.

dan5
05-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Iv'e got to say, all you guy's say is " the 400 is the most reliable ,best trail bike out there" ,but the first thing you want to do is change it. The reason it's so reliable is because it's a simple basic design. That has proven it's self over and over again.
If you want all the new bells and whistles buy a 450r and you can have all the new technology just don't complain when it's not as reliable as the good old 400.
I'm not saying the 400 couldn't use some basic upgrades ,like different front shocks,may be some better tires, but leave the basic bike alone. there is none better for the all around trail Quad
Also I happen to like the new look of the bike Just my .02

87HONDATRX250X
05-07-2011, 09:25 PM
very disappointed in Honda lately. Sure i love my 400ex and the older 450rs but they haven't changed much if any thing besides the plastics. Like at least add better shocks or some decent handle bars

camaromitch
05-08-2011, 12:21 AM
While I agreed when I started reading that it was disappointing, the last page of posts made me rethink that. I'm sure there are a lot of people on this site that make over say 34 horsepower with aftermarket parts in their reliable 400ex, and if Honda did redesign everything and it made with 30 to 32 horsepower from the factory, but the aftermarket suppliers had to retool and make all new parts, I bet it'd cost just as much the first couple years to get those 2 to 4 extra hp as it did before to get the extra 7 or 8.

I guess I've changed to stick with what works, and the more years that use the same parts the cheaper the aftermarket ones will be. That and the fact that Honda doesn't care how I personally feel we might as well look at the bright side of things.

RNL
05-08-2011, 03:11 AM
How about some sort of HRC like kit from Honda for the 400x as an option? I bet they'd sell alot of them.

trxPOWER
05-08-2011, 04:43 PM
honesty, thats a great idea! could come with 450r style front shocks, plus 6 key, cam, some exhaust mod, jet kit, and a outerwears type airbox cover! thatd be sweet.

Shawthy33
05-09-2011, 07:31 AM
I started to change my tone slightly this weekend.

Haven't really had the time to ride my quad all spring, it lives in Maine and I live in Boston. So while home for Mothers Day I took a solid ride and the thing just fired up and ran like a champ. I loved every second of it and was reminded why I love this bike so damn much.

That said, my list of mods is below, Honda could make some upgrades all around to deliver a better product to the showroom.

I agree with the HRC kit idea. If you could make it some mild engine upgrades and 450r-like shocks for under $1,000 there would probably be a market for it.

RNL
05-09-2011, 07:43 AM
I was thinking like a different cam, muffler, timing key for around the same cost as a 450r kit.

ish416
05-09-2011, 07:43 AM
I'm not down with the HRC kit idea. I see no reason why Honda simply can't upgrade the existing EX. I'm not talking anything radical like liquid cooling or FI. I think a slightly more aggressive cam (XR400R cam), the 04-05 450R carb and 450R shocks with lighter spring rates would really help keep it competitive against the Z400 and the 450s. All of these parts are proven, so the EX would not suffer any loss of ride-ability or reliability.

With those changes, I think people would start looking at the EX's again instead of the 450s for their first sport quad.

Do all of those things and keep the MSRP at whatever it has been and you have a winner instead of just another year of Bold New Graphics.

RNL
05-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Shawthy33
I started to change my tone slightly this weekend.

Haven't really had the time to ride my quad all spring, it lives in Maine and I live in Boston. So while home for Mothers Day I took a solid ride and the thing just fired up and ran like a champ. I loved every second of it and was reminded why I love this bike so damn much.

That said, my list of mods is below, Honda could make some upgrades all around to deliver a better product to the showroom.

I agree with the HRC kit idea. If you could make it some mild engine upgrades and 450r-like shocks for under $1,000 there would probably be a market for it.

Amen! I lost my 400ex in my divorce, really bums me. I have a Raptor 250 right now and even that thing is a blast to jump on and just ride and have fun. Makes me realize its not always about having the fastest or newest, its about having fun. I'm getting another 400 when I get my finances back on track.

rcatvrider
05-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Nobody has mentioned this yet but hopefully we're all somewhat conscious of it. There is NO money in the quad industry at the moment, and hasn't been for awhile.

From the Top-down:

Pro-Racing:

AMA Pro Atv Racing - CanAm and ____ for Factory Teams? Bare-bones TV coverage, Minimal sponsorship money in the sport, Factory Teams going bankrupt, Pro riders running the NEATV circuit instead of the national circuit. Awesome for us up here, but almost laughable compared to the other forms of motorsports around the country.

AMA Dirtbikes - National TV Coverage, X-Games publicity, top 5 guys are legitimate global celebrities. Big $$$ Corporate Sponsors in Oakley, Redbull, Monster Energy etc

Compare James Steward to Chad Wienen....paints that picture pretty clearly.

MotoGP & Superbike Racing - Massive World Stage racing. International TV coverage, Magazine coverage across the globe, massive competition for streetbike technology and advancement.

Market Size - certainly all of the below are effected by the current global economy:

Dirtbikes - cheap to own, operate, maintain, buy. More places to ride due to size, destruction of property, tracks. Less Gov't regulations on age/motor size

Motorcycles - ride on any public road, argument over

I have no idea what the statistics are over sales figures for Dirtbikes/Streetbikes/Quads but I'm sure the figures are staggering.

Research and Development - money is spent on the products that get media coverage and are profitable. If the amount of R&D that is spent on Streetbikes every year was spent on Quads, I'll bet we'd have some ridiculous products on the market. But due to the number of sales, they'd all cost over $10k and nobody would buy them.

Setting up new machinery to weld new frames, forge new heads, cast new internals all is super expensive and would need to be spread out over the number of units sold, again driving prices through the roof, when very few units are actually sold.

I'm not trying to say there is ZERO money in Quads, I'm just saying when compared to the likes of Dirtbikes and Streetbikes, Quads get a very very small piece of the total industry pie.

After all, Honda (insert any other brand here) is trying to run a for-profit company.
Wise words. I love my 400ex but the lack of legal riding is really making me consider trading it for a dirtbike...honda preferably, that will not change.

Shawthy33
05-11-2011, 06:28 AM
**I meant James Stewart which I assume most people got - typo there.

Thanks, maybe the business man in me always see's it from that angle. However, like i said a few posts ago, I love my 400ex, wanted one since I was young and they first came out, and when I finally could afford to buy/build one, it was a no brainer.

I assume somewhere down the road I'll have a 450, another 4x4 Quad, and hopefully a slew of other toys. I'll never, NEVER sell this 400ex though. I love everything about it.

Muzzgit
05-11-2011, 08:00 AM
I'll never, NEVER sell this 400ex though. I love everything about it.

Yeah I used to say that about my 400Ex. Then I got a Raptor 700 :D

finsteratv
05-11-2011, 08:59 AM
the 400ex was one of the biggest quads back in the day before the 450 craze. they have always been known for there reliability and i dont think honda will change a thing because just like my dad "why change a good thing" but i indeed think it needs some updates peformance/suspension wise. but look at the economy...heck THEY STILL HAVE 450R'S FROM 09. economy sucks.

TheAwesomehonda
01-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by trxPOWER
well guys, id like to see some new stuff but when you REALLY think about it, how can they get the thing any more perfect for trail riding stock? I wouldnt say front shock, they actully do really good for trail riding, with the low compression they have the things last for ever with incredably low maintenance. I mean the things are just set up to be an awsome trail quad. Your exactly right i would like the stock shocks better if i didn't jump cuz then they bottom out.

TheAwesomehonda
01-26-2012, 10:06 PM
To keep this atv good for the trails it needs a better skid plate and bumper and better handle bar with hand gaurds. Other then that honda can't make a better trail quad without making a completely new liquid cooled motor. For guys like me who hit the jumps and ride the track it takes more mods. ;) ;) BUT the plastic on these new models is just stupid and makes me barf they should have left the 05-07 plastic on.

Rohr397
01-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Nobody has mentioned this yet but hopefully we're all somewhat conscious of it. There is NO money in the quad industry at the moment, and hasn't been for awhile. From the Top-down: Pro-Racing: AMA Pro Atv Racing - CanAm and ____ for Factory Teams? Bare-bones TV coverage, Minimal sponsorship money in the sport, Factory Teams going bankrupt, Pro riders running the NEATV circuit instead of the national circuit. Awesome for us up here, but almost laughable compared to the other forms of motorsports around the country. AMA Dirtbikes - National TV Coverage, X-Games publicity, top 5 guys are legitimate global celebrities. Big $$$ Corporate Sponsors in Oakley, Redbull, Monster Energy etc Compare James Steward to Chad Wienen....paints that picture pretty clearly. MotoGP & Superbike Racing - Massive World Stage racing. International TV coverage, Magazine coverage across the globe, massive competition for streetbike technology and advancement. Market Size - certainly all of the below are effected by the current global economy: Dirtbikes - cheap to own, operate, maintain, buy. More places to ride due to size, destruction of property, tracks. Less Gov't regulations on age/motor size Motorcycles - ride on any public road, argument over I have no idea what the statistics are over sales figures for Dirtbikes/Streetbikes/Quads but I'm sure the figures are staggering. Research and Development - money is spent on the products that get media coverage and are profitable. If the amount of R&D that is spent on Streetbikes every year was spent on Quads, I'll bet we'd have some ridiculous products on the market. But due to the number of sales, they'd all cost over $10k and nobody would buy them. Setting up new machinery to weld new frames, forge new heads, cast new internals all is super expensive and would need to be spread out over the number of units sold, again driving prices through the roof, when very few units are actually sold. I'm not trying to say there is ZERO money in Quads, I'm just saying when compared to the likes of Dirtbikes and Streetbikes, Quads get a very very small piece of the total industry pie. After all, Honda (insert any other brand here) is trying to run a for-profit company.

Very good point. There's a few things I'd like to add to this. First of all I think it's very important to note that you are completely right, ATV racing is like a tiny slice of the pie in the world of motosports. But the truth is, most owners don't race and that's the biggest problem. Here's what that equates to:

1. ATV's cannot be important as "race vehicles" because there's not enough of them being raced. This is why manufacturers can't make them the like bikes.

2. Manufacturers aren't going to make race ready quads for such a small market. On a side note quads are also the majority of the profit for the manufacturers. They're selling plenty of models and that money alone can pay for all of their R&D. They're not motivated to change things when they're getting the money they need, especially in this economy. Why do you think Yamaha brought back a cheaper Yfz450? It's a good enough machine and plenty of people will buy it especially at that price. I guarantee you the Yfz450r's won't sell nearly as much as the Yfz450's this year. I'm sure Honda's 400ex is the same way, it COULD be better but plenty of people are gonna buy into affordable, reliable and proven performance, not a high tech 400ex.

Plus we all know Honda, they've never produced the best of the best in stock trim. And they will run their machines into the ground until they've got no choice but to up their game. The 450r is way overdue for an update but they're gonna keep selling it until it stops selling.

Finally, I do think a new-age 400ex would be really nice. I would love a 400ex with a Unicam, water-cooled engine. I however do not support EFI, carburetors are more work but they're affordable. Plus the current engine is all around cheap and easy to tap into, and I think we can all agree the easy maintenance and reliability is a blessing. Suspension wise I think it could use an update, but other then that everything would be nice for us racers/hard riders. But we all know the 400ex just isn't viewed as a "high-performance" and the market for a high-perf 400ex isn't strong like the market for an all-ages full sized ATV that anyone can hop on, figure out and have a blast on, and new ATV owners will kill a high tech engine if they forget to change the oil in time or something like that.

It would be nice though, huh? If I was the one making those decisions I'd update the 450, give the 400 a big update and a nice shiny 2012 250r with all the modern goodies. :D

Rohr397
01-27-2012, 10:35 PM
^anyone have title ideas for that book? ;)

dxcody
01-28-2012, 06:25 AM
Very well put Rohr!

Stickman400
01-28-2012, 10:51 AM
x2 Very nicely put

Rohr397
01-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Thanks!

HondaRacing83
01-28-2012, 11:49 AM
well said rohr