PDA

View Full Version : Stator/starter

Minndave13
05-03-2011, 05:38 PM
Went out on Sunday for a quick 14 miles. Half way through I stopped to talk to someone, when I came to start the quad the starter would turn but would not turn over the engine. No big deal I was on a logging road half way up a hill. I coasted down the hill and jump started the quad and continued on my way. When I got home I started checking into the problem. Starter ok, checked into further and could rotate the big starting gear easily. Checked on this and another site and found out the gear should not turn easily. Took off the flywheel cover and found that the six bolts connecting the flywheel and starter gear had sheared off taking out the stator in the process. Now I have to get a new stator with the cheapest one on ebay starting at $125. Thanks to Trail Tech in Battle Ground WA. for helping me take off the flywheel (Special tool needed to take off the flywheel). I guess this may be a common problem so it may be worth your while to check these bolts and replace them before you have to fork over some good cash on a new stator. Just my two cents.