PDA

View Full Version : 400 ex stator question

mittman
05-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Hey guys its been awhile since i've been on here. I got another 400 for cheap, guy needed money bad and I had cash in hand so brought it home with me :D The guy has a small set of driving lights on the front bumper. He said they were walmart brand so he thinks they are 35 watt. Turns out after a lil searching they are actually 55watt and by judging how bright they are they are really 55watt. Now my question is can the stock stator handle them? Im sure using the stock lights and them will be too much but then again I dont know what it can handle. The stock lights are ok for slow trail riding at night but if you go any faster than 3rd or so you need more light in front of you. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

tri5ron
05-03-2011, 12:33 AM
I remember you.

Get rid of the cheapy lights, and buy a 35w HID conversion kit for H6M bulbs in a 4300k to 5000K .

You'll be plenty happy with the results.

The stator will handle that fine, and the light output is amazing.
here's the down side,... you will no longer have a hi/lo beam function.

But if you are determined to keep a hi/low function, you could do this...

Keep the cheapy lights where they are, and change the H3 55w bulbs that are in them, to H3 35w bulbs.

Then do the above suggested HID conversion to the OEM lights.

wire the lower cheapy's to the low beam side of the switch,

wire the converted OEM lights to the Hi beam side.

mittman
05-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by tri5ron
I remember you.

Get rid of the cheapy lights, and buy a 35w HID conversion kit for H6M bulbs in a 4300k to 5000K .

You'll be plenty happy with the results.

The stator will handle that fine, and the light output is amazing.
here's the down side,... you will no longer have a hi/lo beam function.

But if you are determined to keep a hi/low function, you could do this...

Keep the cheapy lights where they are, and change the H3 55w bulbs that are in them, to H3 35w bulbs.

Then do the above suggested HID conversion to the OEM lights.

wire the lower cheapy's to the low beam side of the switch,

wire the converted OEM lights to the Hi beam side.

Yeah I thought about that. I have HID'S in my truck and they are awesome. Only thing is will the ballasts be able to hold up to all the bumps and what not? I know they make them for atvs but ive saw them for like a 100.00 and there is no way im paying that. I got bi xenon lights and fog lights for my truck and it was only 115.00 shipped.

tri5ron
05-03-2011, 10:28 AM
many of the members here have done the HID mod now, using the $35-$40 kits on Ebay, and so far, it seems every one is pretty darn happy with the results.

Do a search on HID lights, and you'll find quite a few threads on it now.

Here is just one of the many...
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=449531