PDA

View Full Version : Electrical/ Battery issues

Ryan'07400ex
05-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Hey guys got a 2004 400ex that my friend wants to sell but its got issues... I don't know if its just a bad battery or what but anyway you can't start it without a battery charger/ jumper box. The battery read 11.8 volts but wouldn't even make it "click" and after running a while and shuting the engine off it says 6 volts. Also the neutral light stays on all the time but flickers. The headlights flicker as well. Then when you try to turn the bike off you turn the key, or even take it out and it stays running.
I've never seen anything like it. Any Help would be appreciated.

camaromitch
05-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Sounds like some crappy wiring. There are quite a few harnesses for under $50 on eBay. I'd tell him to try and fix it himself if he wasn't trying to sell it, but buying a wiring harness would be the quckest route.

sheweezy
05-02-2011, 04:04 PM
Battery sounds bad if it loses voltage after riding, your basically just running off the stator...They key issue is in the wiring...When you turn the key on your are switching it off of a ground, when turning it back off you are completing the ground causing it to shut off, the same concept as your red kill switch...Id have to look at my manual for colors but there should be two or three wires coming from your switch...just make sure they are all going to the right colors and that your ground is good comin from those three wires (i believe it is a light green and black wire)...are you starting with the starter button or screwdriver to the solenoid? the light flickering sounds like either your battery is just completely dead and runnin off the stator, or your are not gettin power past the solenoid (could be a fuse or an issue with the fuse not connecting to both female terminals inside fuse holder)

Ryan'07400ex
05-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Are there only the two fuses near the battery? I have a clymer manual but can't make heads or tails of all those wires running.
You start it with the push button once you put jumper cables on the positive and negative battery terminals. Ima try to get the warranty on that battery for him.

sheweezy
05-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Yeah there are two fuses, one is a spare and one is the actual fuse...if the starter button is function then your fuses are fine....this could only be a very poor battery and needs replacing

Ryan'07400ex
05-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Rocky mountain has amazing customer service my friend called and they are sending a replacement battery for free. Hopefull thats all thats wrong.