PDA

View Full Version : Finding out the story behind his Bronze Star??

trailrider894
05-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Hey guys, here is the story... My grandfather had a Bronze Star that he earned in WWII in the Phillipines... Nobody knows the reason he earned it. I would ask him, but he passed two years ago. I am wondering if you guys have any idea's on how to find out how he recieved it?? I am looking for any help!!

Tommy Warren
05-02-2011, 11:39 AM
he did something heroic but not heroic enough for the silver star....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronze_Star_Medal

madskrillz2
05-02-2011, 11:47 AM
He should have some kind of documentation on what he did with the star. My grandpa got one in Korea and there's a list of men with a paragraph description describing what they did. My grandpa being one of them.

feuerstack411
05-02-2011, 12:36 PM
founding? :D

OldGuyonaQuad
05-02-2011, 02:43 PM
ok first link is for why
second link is a list from A-Z hopefully this helps, all I did was google "The Bronze Star Phillippines WWII.

http://www.ww2awards.com/award/245

http://www.ww2awards.com/award/245/abc

trailrider894
05-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by OldGuyonaQuad
ok first link is for why
second link is a list from A-Z hopefully this helps, all I did was google "The Bronze Star Phillippines WWII.

http://www.ww2awards.com/award/245

http://www.ww2awards.com/award/245/abc

Thanks for the help!! I'll tell you what i find!!!

And for Tommy, leave the sarcastic comments to yourself...

DnB_racing
05-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Hey guys, here is the story... My grandfather had a Bronze Star that he earned in WWII in the Phillipines... Nobody knows the reason he earned it. I would ask him, but he passed two years ago. I am wondering if you guys have any idea's on how to find out how he recieved it?? I am looking for any help!! google world war 2 ancestors, there are public records just have to find the right site,,

but with enough information you should be able to start tracking down more information,and that will lead to more and more, this is a search that may take some time, but the more time you put in the more you will want to keep going,

you will be surprised you might end up going even further then your grandfather... it gets addictive enjoy it you will learn about your self!!

and dont let anyone discourage you there are many that offer nothing and wouldn't know what its like to have a noble cause!!

250x_kyle
05-02-2011, 09:30 PM
post up what you find out. dont mind reading a good war story.

Tommy Warren
05-02-2011, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the help!! I'll tell you what i find!!!

And for Tommy, leave the sarcastic comments to yourself...

wasn't try to be sarcastic sorry:(

Pappy
05-03-2011, 08:55 AM
A sincere thank you to your Grandfather for his service.

My father won a Bronze Star, Silver Star and 3 purple hearts in Vietnam, although he said he last one he didnt deserve:p He served his last tour training snipers (was cool to read about him in a book written by one of the snipers he trained). He was sneaking up on a grunt that he thought wasnt awake and the guy lit him up and he got powder burns to his eyes:p The other medals were for combat actions and being combat wounded. I know my grandfather was decorated in WW2 , I have his purpleheart, but not sure what other decorations he recieved. The family on my dads side wasnt very close for the most part so getting info isnt easy but I may try some of teh links offered here.

Very proud of every soldier this country has, past and present!

trailrider894
05-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
A sincere thank you to your Grandfather for his service.

My father won a Bronze Star, Silver Star and 3 purple hearts in Vietnam, although he said he last one he didnt deserve:p He served his last tour training snipers (was cool to read about him in a book written by one of the snipers he trained). He was sneaking up on a grunt that he thought wasnt awake and the guy lit him up and he got powder burns to his eyes:p The other medals were for combat actions and being combat wounded. I know my grandfather was decorated in WW2 , I have his purpleheart, but not sure what other decorations he recieved. The family on my dads side wasnt very close for the most part so getting info isnt easy but I may try some of teh links offered here.

Very proud of every soldier this country has, past and present!

The links never turned anything up...

I did find out that is unit recieved the Presidential Unit Citation award for fighting in extreme conditions. But the Bronze star was still for something else... I just can't seem to find anything. Is there anywhere that would have the document that came when he got it???

Pappy
05-03-2011, 11:55 AM
I will see if my wife remembers where she sent off for my dads records. Be prepared however, many records were destroyed in a fire at the building DC that housed a TON of our military records from that era.

Scro
05-03-2011, 11:58 AM
This may help you. (http://www.archives.gov/veterans/)

DnB_racing
05-03-2011, 12:08 PM
if you cant find info on your own, you might have to pay of an ancestry investigation service, they will dig into records that would take you forever to research,

and they have more means of investigating documents and honors received,
its not going to be easy to find but anything new you find make sure you document,were you found it and any possible leads,

trailrider894
05-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Scro: I filled out there form and it is getting ready to be mailed!!

Pappy: it would be greatly appreciated!!

DnB: I'll look into that... It looks like i only live about an hour away from the National Personel Records Center, so i might take a trip down there..

OldGuyonaQuad
05-03-2011, 03:10 PM
The links never turned anything up...

I did find out that is unit recieved the Presidential Unit Citation award for fighting in extreme conditions. But the Bronze star was still for something else... I just can't seem to find anything. Is there anywhere that would have the document that came when he got it???

below is a cut and paste from the link I provided.

The Bronze Star can also be obtained by veterans or next of kinn. Military that took part in the struggle on the Philippines between 7th December 1941 and 10th May 1942 could receive the medal when the action took place on Luzon, the Bataan peninsula or the Harbour Defences on Corregidor Island and were entitled to the Philippine Presidential Unit Citation. Military who had received the Purple Heart during the early days of the Second World War specifically for merit and not for wounds could in some occaisions also exchange the Purple Heart to the Bronze Star. The rule that any soldier that fought together with the American Army, the decoration could also be awarded to foreign military.

It would appear he fought back the Japanese invasion along side Phillipino soldiers.

you might find some useful information and links in this forum.

http://www.omsa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=592