PDA

View Full Version : Case saver differences

thebig450es
05-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Im looking for a case saver for a 16 tooth sproket, is there any difference between case saver quality? I spent alot on the engine and dont want to crack the case over acouple dollars.

NacsMXer
05-02-2011, 10:44 AM
There will be differences in the quality of the material used, but even then nothing is guaranteed. 6061 aluminum seems to be the standard for aluminum savers. A good brand case saver is better than none or stock though.

You can break off the bosses on the case saver that the bolts go through. The chain can bind up and put a ton of pressure against the shift shaft. A lot of freak things can happen.

That being said, i've heard the polyurethane case savers are better for absorbing the energy rather than transferring it to adjacent parts. UPP Racing and Moose both make poly case savers for the 400EX. I wish somebody made a poly case saver that protected the shift shaft as well, but none for the 400EX, only 450's.

You will have to grind a good bit off of it to fit a 16T front sprocket however. One of the only quality aluminum case savers I know of that allows for a 16T front sprocket is the Pro Design.

I just bought a new Nac's case saver on Ebay yesterday b/c I had to use up some Ebay bucks. I will grind it to an exact fit just like I did the old one since it's meant for a stock 15T front.

grovesbm
05-02-2011, 11:10 AM
just wondering!

i have never had a chain break or pop off and have been riding like a bat outta hell for 7 years now.....does this happen to people often????or am i just lucky?

NacsMXer
05-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by grovesbm
just wondering!

i have never had a chain break or pop off and have been riding like a bat outta hell for 7 years now.....does this happen to people often????or am i just lucky?

It will typically happen if your chain is too loose/not maintained well, if your bearing carrier becomes shot (loosens the chain on you), or if the chain somehow picks up a stick/rock that causes the chain to derail.

Doesn't seem to happen too often, but it's entirely possible.

CJM
05-02-2011, 12:08 PM
I have the prodesign, its quite sturdy and I like it. It fits the 16T on there fine.

Grinding the stock one is pointless, I tried it and wound up with nearly nothing left b/c of the way the stockcase saver is designed.

thebig450es
05-03-2011, 08:24 AM
I was just looking on rockymountian at the pro design saver , someone said the 16 wouldnt work, are there different savers made by pro design for the 400

NacsMXer
05-03-2011, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by thebig450es
I was just looking on rockymountian at the pro design saver , someone said the 16 wouldnt work, are there different savers made by pro design for the 400

Not that I know of. That is the first I have heard of it not fitting, so I would take that with a grain of salt.

If you go to Ebay and punch in: pro design 400ex case saver, you can see that it is thinner where it contours to the engine case. I can tell it will fit a 16T just by looking at the picture. The Nac's case savers start out a lot thicker, so the 16T won't fit. By the time I am done grinding it, it looks very similar to the Pro Design.

thebig450es
05-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Thanks, i trust your word alot more than a review that anyone can write.