PDA

View Full Version : Who has raced bikes?

sylvan56473
02-19-2003, 03:16 PM
I've been racing fourwheelers for almost 10 years now and had never ridden a dirtbike until 2 years ago. I always said to myself, it can't be that hard to ride a bike. Well, I finally decided to buy a YZ125. Didn't even test ride it, just loaded it into the truck and away I went. I figured just jump on, gas it and go right? I fouled four plugs my first time riding becuase I was going so slow and almost wore the soles off of my boots. It definetely isn't as easy as it looks. I finally got the hang of it after a couple weeks and bikes are a blast! The suspension is awesome. And the coolest part is that you can throw away a bike really easily instead of on a quad you have to ride it out. I also tried to race it and that is tuff to switch between motos from a 250R to a YZ. I have alot of respect for guys that ride dirtbikes.

YamaWarr0121
02-19-2003, 03:19 PM
very true my friends make it look easy..i jumped on his yz125 and decided to nice n easy until i hit the powerband and almost killed myself..i stay clear of dirtbikes now:grr

flyin#5
02-19-2003, 03:21 PM
cool. ive only riden bikes several times and there fun but ill keep riding quads. so are you racing the bike in d23 this summer? or how about your R? if so we go to a couple of em a year and maybe we'll se ya there sometime

sylvan56473
02-19-2003, 03:22 PM
Oh yeah,

Bikes are a little scary at first. That's why I didn't test drive mine. I don't think I would have bought it. I would have said that there is no way I am ever going to learn to ride this. Landing from a jump is like trying to walk a tightrope with an elephant on your shoulders.

Nausty
02-19-2003, 03:27 PM
lol I use to ride bikes for about 7 years, they are a blast. They are also a lot cheaper imo then racing quads. It takes a while to get use to how they run and not fouling plugs. The main thing is to use the clutch a lot and not being affraid to rev them. Also we sold our cr125 this week:( My dad wants a quad.

HONDAofTROY100
02-19-2003, 03:29 PM
:D finally someone who does badmouth bikes! yah not as easy as it looks..;)

swap
02-19-2003, 03:33 PM
I don't have a quad, but I do have a 125.
I rode wireds (jon's) the other day and give props to anyone that jumps those. I had so much fun ridding it I might buy one this summer though!

sylvan56473
02-19-2003, 03:40 PM
flyin_400EX,

I sold my bike to put more money into my R. Now I am also selling my R. TOO EXPENSIVE. I raced district 23 from 1994 to 1998. It just got too expensive to keep racing. I usally race only the Brainerd supercross series now. I crushed a vertabrae in my back and slipped a disc in 1997 in AMA then broke both collar bones in August of 2000 and am now just healed up from a broken wrist in August of 2002. The medical bills are what's killing me. That's why I'm selling the R. It's crazy, just for x-rays and exams it was almost $2,000 for my wrist. Imagine what I could do to my R for that kind of money.

HondaofTroy100,

Absolutely. I owned my bike for about two years and rode it more than my fourwheeler. I would rather race a fourwheeler than a bike. But I would rather play ride on a bike. Way more fun becuase it is way cheaper to maintain and you don't have to put money into them like a quad. Just unload it and go. No a-arms, shocks, axle's, swingarms, tires or stuff like that to buy.

Nausty,

It is alot cheaper to race a bike than a quad becuase a completley stock YZ is competetive in a race. I took a couple third places with mine and the only aftermarket parts I had were numbers.

cdalejef
02-19-2003, 03:45 PM
I do! Actually I have more bike racing experience than quad racing experience.

02-19-2003, 03:49 PM
im glad i rode bikes for years before riding a quad, its gotta suck to have that hard of a time:(

zzbudzz
02-19-2003, 07:00 PM
don't you have health insurance?
flyin_400EX,

I sold my bike to put more money into my R. Now I am also selling my R. TOO EXPENSIVE. I raced district 23 from 1994 to 1998. It just got too expensive to keep racing. I usally race only the Brainerd supercross series now. I crushed a vertabrae in my back and slipped a disc in 1997 in AMA then broke both collar bones in August of 2000 and am now just healed up from a broken wrist in August of 2002. The medical bills are what's killing me. That's why I'm selling the R. It's crazy, just for x-rays and exams it was almost $2,000 for my wrist. Imagine what I could do to my R for that kind of money.

HondaofTroy100,

Absolutely. I owned my bike for about two years and rode it more than my fourwheeler. I would rather race a fourwheeler than a bike. But I would rather play ride on a bike. Way more fun becuase it is way cheaper to maintain and you don't have to put money into them like a quad. Just unload it and go. No a-arms, shocks, axle's, swingarms, tires or stuff like that to buy.

Nausty,

It is alot cheaper to race a bike than a quad becuase a completley stock YZ is competetive in a race. I took a couple third places with mine and the only aftermarket parts I had were numbers. [/QUOTE]

sylvan56473
02-20-2003, 09:07 AM
No, I don't have health insurance. The cheapest I could find it was $150 a month. That's $1,800 a year. If I buy health insurance I can't afford to race and if I don't race I don't need health insurance.

02-20-2003, 04:04 PM
:confused: u got a better chance of getting severly injured driving to work or falling down the stairs, stick with the bikes, ull be glad u learned how to ride one once u get the hang of it quads are fun too