PDA

View Full Version : Need Laeger's balljoints & tie-rod ends

BULLET99Z28
05-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Ive got a nice chrome set of +2+1 Laegers a-arms and chromoly tie rods for my build, but I need tie-rod ends and would like to replace the ball joints. The Tie-rods are 12mm fine pitch, and I believe i can use MOOG # ES2074r for my balljoints.

Can anybody get me the info needed? Thanks

DnB_racing
05-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by BULLET99Z28
Ive got a nice chrome set of +2+1 Laegers a-arms and chromoly tie rods for my build, but I need tie-rod ends and would like to replace the ball joints. The Tie-rods are 12mm fine pitch, and I believe i can use MOOG # ES2074r for my balljoints.

Can anybody get me the info needed? Thanks are the lowers arms the newer style? or are they 16mm - 150 thread?
ASR has some good prices on replacement parts and they will answer your questions if you call them, I recently got some for my laeger arms from them,

I just looked they were arond $27 buck each for the a-arm ball joints,

BULLET99Z28
05-01-2011, 03:34 PM
How can you tell new style vs older style. I have the balljoints that came with the arms, but the boots are tore, and I would like to have grease zerks. I was at Ace looking for jam nuts and other nuts/bolts, and I'm pretty sure the threads on the balljoints took a Standard nut. 16mm looks about right though.

Also, aren't people using older VW parts- 70'ish tie-rod ends for the balljoints?

DnB_racing
05-01-2011, 03:43 PM
How can you tell new style vs older style. I have the balljoints that came with the arms, but the boots are tore, and I would like to have grease zerks. I was at Ace looking for jam nuts and other nuts/bolts, and I'm pretty sure the threads on the balljoints took a Standard nut. 16mm looks about right though.

Also, aren't people using older VW parts- 70'ish tie-rod ends for the balljoints? the older style the arms have threads in them,and the newer style dosnt have threads... look on the websites and you will see what I mean... the newer style the ball joints only have the thread at the very end,

DnB_racing
05-01-2011, 03:46 PM
im not sure if you can see on this pic the ones with all thread are all uppers and usually 14mm and the others are the bottoms and only can be put in so they dont rotate

BULLET99Z28
05-01-2011, 03:57 PM
All 4 of the balljoints I have now have a full thread. They thread into the lower arm,and the top slides through with the jam nuts holding the balljoint in place.

DnB_racing
05-01-2011, 04:04 PM
All 4 of the balljoints I have now have a full thread. They thread into the lower arm,and the top slides through with the jam nuts holding the balljoint in place. but your top arm is threaded? and a 14mm was used and jam nutted instead of the 16mm? do the ball joints both have the same thread?

BULLET99Z28
05-01-2011, 04:44 PM
After looking at Laeger's site, I do have the older style arms. Lower balljoint threads in, top one slides through with a jam nut on each side.

Can I use the Moog joints i found?

Also, what about the tierod ends?

skyeryder
05-01-2011, 05:33 PM
I used the the VW tie rods at local auto parts store, there used to be a good link on here if you research it enough.

protrax
05-01-2011, 06:45 PM
1970 vw bug

hartwill
05-01-2011, 11:38 PM
I just bought some for a 1971 superbeetle. but I have burgard a arms. if they are the same make sure you get right side inner the outers are way different and the left inner is left hand threaded.. hope this helps. oh lifetime warranty from autozone $14.99