PDA

View Full Version : tourque question

DnB_racing
05-01-2011, 09:20 AM
I know if you have a heavier flywheel you will feel like you have more torque, and a lighter will rev quicker,

but will a lighter piston affect torque in the same way?or does it have the reverse affect?
meaning will a lighter piston will have more torque or less???

my thinking is that the lighter piston will almost be like adding a heavier flywheel, am I thinking about this wrong?

socal
05-01-2011, 09:32 AM
I doubt a the weight piston would have the same affect as changing the weight of a flywheel!If so,very minimal compared.

wilkin250r
05-01-2011, 09:36 AM
A heavy piston will have a similar effect as a heavy flywheel, only not as dramatic an effect in the power delivery, and SIGNIFICANTLY affecting the amount of vibration.

DnB_racing
05-01-2011, 09:38 AM
i know it wouldn't be as drastic as changing weight of flywheel,

the way im thinking is the lighter piston will rev quicker,
and proportionality be almost like adding weight to the flywheel,

im i wrong in thinking that a lighter piston will be the best of both rev and torque? or doesnt piston weight have any affect on torque?

DnB_racing
05-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
A heavy piston will have a similar effect as a heavy flywheel, only not as dramatic an effect in the power delivery, and SIGNIFICANTLY affecting the amount of vibration. so if im understanding this correct, your saying a lighter piston will have less tourque?

cdrookie
05-01-2011, 01:23 PM
you're thinking about it wrong. a lighter piston is always a good idea, but it doesn't have the effect of a weight rotating around a crankshaft.

wilkin250r
05-01-2011, 01:32 PM
First, let's clear up a misconception. A heavy flywheel doesn't actually give you torque. What it DOES is add rotational mass that makes the engine accelerate slower. This decreases that powerband "hit", which generally reduces wheelspin and makes the power more manageable and controllable, much like an engine with more torque at the low end.

Almost ANY extra weight you add to the whole rotating mass of piston, crank, flywheel, counterbalance, clutch (and even transmission) will have that same effect, although it's going to be more effective in some places than in others.

The problem with a heavy piston is that it will also add vibration, where as a heavy flywheel will not.

DnB_racing
05-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
First, let's clear up a misconception. A heavy flywheel doesn't actually give you torque. What it DOES is add rotational mass that makes the engine accelerate slower. This decreases that powerband "hit", which generally reduces wheelspin and makes the power more manageable and controllable, much like an engine with more torque at the low end.

Almost ANY extra weight you add to the whole rotating mass of piston, crank, flywheel, counterbalance, clutch (and even transmission) will have that same effect, although it's going to be more effective in some places than in others.

The problem with a heavy piston is that it will also add vibration, where as a heavy flywheel will not. I know going heavier wont help, but what will happen if a lighter piston is used? and will a lighter piston have the chance of more vibration?

im almost hesitant to admit this but its not on my 250, and the expertise is better on this section then the 450 section, please forgive me my 250 is still my favorite!!
but last year my 450 almost felt like a 2 stroke the way it was setup,so I tried to go higher in compression to help even more but it lost something(i know the problem is its a four stroke)

I put a custom Baldwin cut and lightened high compression piston(14.4:1) in my quad and I lost the mid range hit that I had last year with a JE piston(13.5:1) and it was great! im not sure if by putting the lighter piston in would make me loose the torque that It had,
it feels like i added some top end, but lost the ability to raise the front end on demand at almost any speed, its like I lost the quick punch it once had, it had a 2 stroke feel!

so to make a general question, as to not make it model specific, will having a LIGHTER piston make any quad feel like it has less torque