PDA

View Full Version : not happy with this years setup

DnB_racing
04-30-2011, 04:59 PM
last year I had a 13.5:1 JE and a crf head gasket, Baldwin mx cam, stock bore,
this year 14.5:1 Baldwin cut wisco with stock head gasket,same cam and still stock bore new stock cylinder , it just doesn't have the same snap as it did with last years setup,

Im not sure if the piston is causing some compression loss this year with the 14.5 only having the single ring were the JE had the double ring setup, or if the CRF head gasket added that much more compression?

im not sure if the 13.5:1 with CRF actually had more compression then the 14.5 and the stock gasket?anyone have any idea?

the end gap is fine and it doesnt appear that there is any blow by stains on the new piston

I might see if I have the clearance with the 14.5 to run a CRF gasket,

has anyone else ran the Baldwin piston,seen any loss of performance,and was there enough clearance for the crf gasket?

airmobile101
04-30-2011, 06:27 PM
I don't know........ but I know one thing, that Wiseco 13:5:1 piston with a CRF 450 head gasket is the chit! lol:D

DnB_racing
04-30-2011, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by airmobile101
I don't know........ but I know one thing, that Wiseco 13:5:1 piston with a CRF 450 head gasket is the chit! lol:D does you wiseco have one ring and oil scraper or two rings and oil scraper?

airmobile101
04-30-2011, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
does you wiseco have one ring and oil scraper or two rings and oil scraper?
2 rings and the oil scraper

DnB_racing
05-01-2011, 07:38 AM
2 rings and the oil scraper ya thats almost exactly the setup I had last year, only I used a JE with the 2 ring and oil scraper, your right it is a good setup.
of all the different years setups I had,it seamed to perform the best

I think next down time Im changing back!!.

wild250rman
05-01-2011, 07:41 AM
what year motor are you running?

DnB_racing
05-01-2011, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by wild250rman
what year motor are you running? 06 every season I have ran different pistons and head gaskets, last year I liked the 13.5 so I thought i would like the 14.5 even better, but im not sure if its the rings or the head gasket thats not preforming like im used to

I mean it still goes real good!!!! but just seams it lost a little

last year with one tooth larger in front gear it would still lift the front in 3rd easy without clucth going adout 35mph this year it wont!
its almost like I have to put the 13 tooth back in front, but i like the way it felt having the speed and still plenty of power in 3rd and even 4th last year,

it only feels like a little more performance then it was with stock piston and the mx cam , last year it was a very noticable setup

walker054
05-01-2011, 07:51 AM
Just call Mark Baldwin and ask him yourself, you have the piston and cam, you can lots of good advice from Mark also.

DnB_racing
05-01-2011, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by walker054
Just call Mark Baldwin and ask him yourself, you have the piston and cam, you can lots of good advice from Mark also. ya! I was thinking the same, but I felt like I would be insulting him, asking why I was getting more performance from a of the shelf JE, compared to his custom cut Wiseco, LOL
Im sure the gasket thickness has a lot to do with the loss Im feeling, but im wondering if the lighter quicker reving piston, just is giveing me less tourque

maxamillion
05-01-2011, 03:28 PM
changing head gasket thickness can alter the cam timing slightly (also happens when you deck the head). maybe this is why the power comes on different than it did before with the crf gasket. just an idea..

DnB_racing
05-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by maxamillion
changing head gasket thickness can alter the cam timing slightly (also happens when you deck the head). maybe this is why the power comes on different than it did before with the crf gasket. just an idea.. yes maybe! ive been trying to get an answer if the piston weight has any effect on torque,

airmobile101
05-01-2011, 06:03 PM
I wasn't gonna say anything, since I have no experience with Baldwin, but I know a few people that I race with that said they were not impressed at all with the Baldwin piston/cam combo. Don't know why. I myself am gonna try a CP piston during the summer break and see how that fairs with a crf450 head gasket.

DnB_racing
05-01-2011, 07:34 PM
I wasn't gonna say anything, since I have no experience with Baldwin, but I know a few people that I race with that said they were not impressed at all with the Baldwin piston/cam combo. Don't know why. I myself am gonna try a CP piston during the summer break and see how that fairs with a crf450 head gasket. what compressin ratio CP are you going to try?

I was very happy with his cam with the JE piston and crf gasket,

im still not sure what exactly is my issue, but im willing to try every thing and change what ever needed to find what works best,

and so far 13.5 and crf with 14 front tooth has my vote!!still had plenty of very fast low end torque

airmobile101
05-02-2011, 12:55 AM
Don't know yet to be honest. Gonna have to do some homework first, then decide. lol

TJ Bradley
05-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Im running a Trx 14:1 CP "race" piston with stock thickness head gasket and a complete 06 Crf Head on top. Running a 14 on the front as well. And its a arm stretcher for sure. Seriously it pulls HARD. But the Crf head is smaller combustion chamber and deck height so im not sure what the final compression actually is since the piston is rated at 14:1 with a Trx head. But with The crf gasket on a stock 12:1 compression it bumps it up to 12.4:1. So with a 13.5:1 and the Crf gasket you should be about 13.9:1 comp.

Hope this helps. But seriously look into doing the Crf head swap. UN-REAL difference. Pulls harder than ANY worked Trx head ive ever rode.

DnB_racing
05-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by TJ Bradley
Im running a Trx 14:1 CP "race" piston with stock thickness head gasket and a complete 06 Crf Head on top. Running a 14 on the front as well. And its a arm stretcher for sure. Seriously it pulls HARD. But the Crf head is smaller combustion chamber and deck height so im not sure what the final compression actually is since the piston is rated at 14:1 with a Trx head. But with The crf gasket on a stock 12:1 compression it bumps it up to 12.4:1. So with a 13.5:1 and the Crf gasket you should be about 13.9:1 comp.

Hope this helps. But seriously look into doing the Crf head swap. UN-REAL difference. Pulls harder than ANY worked Trx head ive ever rode. I've got a crf head but id like to do a valve job on it... Ive been wanting to try it now for around a year just didnt get to it ... im going to have to move that up on my priority list!!

sadinkins
05-07-2011, 02:56 PM
we had the same issue on ours,swapped to weisco piston and went back to je. can tell a big difference.what year crf head works on 06 and what all is involved?

DnB_racing
05-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by sadinkins
we had the same issue on ours,swapped to weisco piston and went back to je. can tell a big difference.what year crf head works on 06 and what all is involved? I know the 06 crf works for the 06/07 you loose the temp sending unit and thermostat housing but besides that its a bolt on, the cam tower is the same, the cam chain is the same, pretty much a wide open very inexpensive port job!!with a great bang for your buck!

DnB_racing
05-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by TJ Bradley

Hope this helps. But seriously look into doing the Crf head swap. UN-REAL difference. Pulls harder than ANY worked Trx head ive ever rode. did you happen to do a squish test??im curious if there's enough clearance to use a crf head gasket

TJ Bradley
05-08-2011, 08:52 AM
We did it with soldering wire and it was all within spec. I just didnt want to go up even higher on compression with the crf gasket. I would just try it and check with your set up. Different piston and such. But throw that head on there, just takes a little longer to warm up but no other problems at all.

airmobile101
05-09-2011, 01:20 AM
Yea, I got a crf450 head already as well,but Im hesitant to slap it on because of the pipe is suppose to stick out more. I need some re-assurance that Im able to bolt up the exhaust with no issues.lol

TJ Bradley
05-09-2011, 12:50 PM
My sparks bolted right up no issues.

DLpimp4lyfe15
05-16-2011, 03:30 PM
All these motors are 06 plus? has or is it possible to run a crf head on the 04 05 motors ???

TJ Bradley
05-16-2011, 04:14 PM
06 and up

DnB_racing
05-21-2011, 10:22 AM
well Ive got next years build already planed,
Thanks Chino886, for the web cam!
its going to involve a crf head and gasket if there is enough squish clearence. or a custom cut to the proper thickness copper one, 943/921 web cam, and I think im going back to the 13.5:1 piston... I will keep you guys posted with results, but make sure you keep me up to date with your different setups and results