PDA

View Full Version : Quick Clutch Question

bkb88
04-30-2011, 01:45 PM
I am in the process of installing my new clutch kit and I can't seem to find any information on the steel plates. Which way are they supposed to face? There is a rounded off edge and a sharp edge on each steel plate and I can't seem to find any information on which way they are supposed to face. Anyone? :confused:

NacsMXer
04-30-2011, 04:41 PM
Been in your shoes before when changing a clutch. Good to see you're being as meticulous as I lol.

The plates are like that because they are stamped during manufacturing. It should not matter which way they face.

If you think about it, each steel is sandwiched between two fibers. So the flat side of the steel is touching one fiber and the rounded side is touching the other fiber. It's pretty much the same any way you slice it. I installed my steels flat side facing in FWIW.

bkb88
04-30-2011, 05:23 PM
Thank you for the reply! I was wanting to make sure I was doing it the correct way before I put the pressure plate back on. I figure since I spent so much money on parts for this rebuild, I had better do it 100% correct! :cool:

Now begins the waiting game for my side cases to get back from the painter... :(

brokenmike
04-30-2011, 08:41 PM
I was always told the sharp edge toward you.

Zeb400EX
04-30-2011, 09:59 PM
I just put a new clutch in mine and didn't really pay attention witch way the steels went in and I had no problems.