View Full Version : Work Boots

TRX_450
04-30-2011, 06:26 AM
Hey guys im in need of some opinions on work boots. I just started a new job at a lumber yard and my nikes arent going to make it much more than a week there. Im on my feet pretty much all day (10 hour shift). I need something comfortable and durable. Price isnt really an issue. What are you guys wearing?

ZeroLogic
04-30-2011, 06:55 AM
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Herman-Survivors-Men-s-Big-Timber-II-Work-Boots-Wide-Width/14663330

Cheap and well made. They last me about 8 months. I'm a carpenter so they go through from mud, concrete, snow, shingles everything pretty much. I buy the ones without the steel toe because it rubs the side of my foot and leaves nasty blisters though.

buck440
04-30-2011, 06:57 AM
Redwing, good american made boot. all we ever wear. good ones will be around $200.

CJM
04-30-2011, 08:05 AM
I like timberland pro 6" high boots. Have had a few pairs and they last a good long time.

Herman survivors are also good as someone already mentioned. YOu want a good boot they are at least a hundred bucks.

ben300
04-30-2011, 08:18 AM
I'm prefer carolinas myself. They can get expensive, but they have dozens of different models, and I feel the comfort, features, and quality of the boots are well worth what you pay for them.

I prefer logger style boots myself. I'm currently wearing for my daily boot a 8", composite toe, water proof electrical hazard logger. They have been my favorite pair of work boots so far, and have been the most comfortable. When I bought them, I wanted the most comfortable pair I could get, because at the time, I had inflamation in my patellar tendon in my right leg because I run 30+ miles a week, and was on my feet constantly being a process engineer at a power plant.

Red wings are also excellent, and are american made. Pricey though.

I've also worn wolverines and they are a decnt boot, at a decent price, and are fairly comfortable.

ben300
04-30-2011, 08:20 AM
I also have a couple friends who swear by "the perfect boot" boots from cabelas. I've never tried them, but my one friend is an electrician and wears them all day, and swears by them.

beags86
04-30-2011, 08:25 AM
redwing

mayno323
04-30-2011, 08:46 AM
redwing they suck to break in but best boot ever

sexysilverado45
04-30-2011, 09:05 AM
Nobodys mentioned twisted x yet. I had a pair make it threw 1 1/2 year in the oil field and 2 wheat harvest. Very comfortable to.

rooster300ex
04-30-2011, 09:07 AM
I've worked for a lumber yard for 5 yrs and have never wore boots. I've prolly went through a few pairs of regular shoes. Never hurt my feet or anything.

250x_kyle
04-30-2011, 09:28 AM
ive had both carolinas and red wings. cant go wrong with either. dont get impacient and buy the first one that fits. after i broke in the pair of carolinas i have now it feels like putting my foot into a pillow in the mornings. if your going to be on your feet all day make sure there comfy.

rooster300ex
04-30-2011, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
ive had both carolinas and red wings. cant go wrong with either. dont get impacient and buy the first one that fits. after i broke in the pair of carolinas i have now it feels like putting my foot into a pillow in the mornings. if your going to be on your feet all day make sure there comfy.

I've never had a pair of boots that were comfy. Thats why I just wore regular shoes

jasonjonesjj
04-30-2011, 10:07 AM
http://www.rei.com/product/706762/asolo-fugitive-gtx-hiking-boots-mens

Im a tech for a cell phone company and i walk around all day in the woods, and on rooftops. I have had these for a year and they still look and feel brand new.

Jigsaw
04-30-2011, 10:18 AM
Redwings are the best! Also for a cheaper boot those Timberland PRO series are good too.

250x_kyle
04-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
I've never had a pair of boots that were comfy. Thats why I just wore regular shoes

ive grown up wearing boots, shoes just feel awkward to me. to each and his own i guess

buck440
04-30-2011, 01:33 PM
forgot to mention, if you mention your union at a redwing store you get 15% off:macho

danthrop
04-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Ive had a crapton of different boots with work, and from various suppliers. What I have found which seems to be status quo:

Redwings wear amazing but take forever to break in and after they are worn in they fit and feel great.

Timberland is pretty much same thing, except they seem to wear out just a tad bit quicker in the insole area(i just bought a pair from foot locker for like 15 bucks threw them in and keep wearing them with comfort again)

Converse: Never really seem to fit right(break in) and fall apart quickly)

Rocky: Surprisngly a good boot for the price. Cheaper than most brands and have lasted nearly as long as my redwings.

CJM
04-30-2011, 08:39 PM
To comment on rocky, I tried them once the soles FELL off the boot after 3 months. Apparently after checking around a bit its common.

I have also worn danners (very $$$ but worth it) and merrils which are excellent hikers. I just happen to like the classic 6in tim pro with the leather collar. They are the only ones who seem to make this style boot these days.

Quad18star
04-30-2011, 08:40 PM
I have a set of Dakota 8" steel toed work boots. They have the Quad Comfort and are waterproof. I LOVE them.... they are comfier than my everyday jogging shoes.

tman12345
04-30-2011, 09:36 PM
Absolutely every redneck around here has a pair of Chippewas. Ive got Dickies they do the job.

kt1148
04-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Redwing Comfortforce. A little pricey but worth it!!

finsteratv
04-30-2011, 11:44 PM
I'd say carolinas or redwings both excellent boots. ive also had good luck with georgias the ones who make romeos. i just got a pair of boots from them i forgot the model but they're pretty much romeos with a boot sole and a higher upper like a logger boots. super comfortable and not to pricey.

atvracer190
05-01-2011, 07:06 AM
ive got two pair of work boots depending on what im going to be doing, for my outdoor mud stomping and heavy briars i wear a pair of rocky cornstalkers, they are gortex, steel toe, and are very breathable! i love them! but if you are going to be on concrete all day id go with a pair of justins with the white slick bottoms on them, they are like walking on air!

Nac's22
05-01-2011, 09:21 AM
Redwing logger style boots. As an excavator I wear boots all the time and put a lot of time and abuse on my boots. These are by far the toughest and most comfortable boots I have worn. They suck to break in but once they are broke in, about a day and a half for me, they are amazing. I now have 2 work pair and 1 for nice occations, I rarely wear sneakers or shoes anymore. Only complaint is they are pricey, but 100% worth the price.

86 Quad R
05-01-2011, 09:02 PM
im very partial to my Georgia (http://www.toughweld.com/products/5609-8-farm-and-ranch-lacer-work-boots) boots as they are very light weight and rug-ed. i wear them riding, working and for casual wear.and are priced well. :cool:

FHKracingZ
05-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Im a stainless pipe welder and have worked on dairy farms where cow crap will eat cheap boots up in no time. My boots go through the paces for sure just like most of you guys above posted. I have had Redwings, Wolverines, CAT boots, Work n Sport. I currently own Georgia boots and will never own another brand. These things are the most comfy boots I have ever had. My redwings were good but these georgia boots are a better boot hands down. Just my opinion :)

finsteratv
05-01-2011, 10:45 PM
logging today in my georgias with some riding too and dang. comfy and clean up good!

CJM
05-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Ya know, I tried those logger boots with the heels and I just cant get used to them. Found them uncomfy and hard to walk around in for me at least.

btw, I found out timberland pros are indeed waterproof-I went for a swim with the quad today and got soaked, water didnt come outta my boots lol