PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

Honda4LifeWes36
04-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Was riding today and my chain came off and cracked the case. It was on my Yamaha Blaster (I know wrong section but you guys always can help me.) The case saver saved some of it but it got bunched up above the shift lever and evidently pushed it down so much that thats where it broke off (where the lever goes in) Its a somewhat of a small crack.

I was wondering if you could JB weld or aluminum weld that? If not, I'll probably have to get a new case which is definitely not what I'm looking to do. Its an older Blaster and probably isn't worth much anymore so not looking to dump a bunch of money into it.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

tri5ron
04-29-2011, 05:11 PM
if you post a pic, it would be alot better to determine possible repairs.

matts27
04-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Buddy did the same thing to his Suzuki Ltz. He split the case and plug welded around the shift shaft area. Smeared JB weld around the tigg'd area. It leaks oil in the winter when he doesn't ride it but in the summer it stops. You ruin the NIckaseal when you weld (or whatever the factory sealant is on the aluminum case). I would think with the blaster having gear oil in the trans you might have better results, meaning no leaks when sitting.

Good luck and hope this gave you some hope to fixing it, Matt

CJM
04-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Id need to see a picture, but you could fix it with some JB weld if its not to severe.

The reason the chain popped off is either you lose the master link or the chain was way to loose for one reason or another. Id be looking to see whats up to make sure it doesnt happen again.

You might also be able to weld it, I had a suzuki LT230 sport that 2 different cases I had were welded, chains used to pop off them like crazy and break cases. You need someone who can tig weld, bet they only want 20 bucks. But a blaster side case aint really $$ either.

tri5ron
04-29-2011, 06:05 PM
another option I have used and had favorable results

http://www.alumiweld.com/

CJM
04-29-2011, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
another option I have used and had favorable results

http://www.alumiweld.com/

That will only work IF the thing is totally oil free. One spec of oil and it wont hold all to well.

So that means you gotta bake the oil out in a oven or something.

Honda4LifeWes36
04-29-2011, 09:07 PM
I can get a picture up tomorrow, should be relatively early depending on my Friday night :D.

My buddy said its around $230 for a new case. Thats probably 1/3 of what my Blasty is worth.

And yeah the darn chain was way loose and I knew I shouldnt of rode it but I did. Came into a uphill corner, cross rooted, and I heard the pop. SON OF A GUN. Looked down and shes leaking oil like none other. SON OF A ..... Checking out the case, didn't see anything. Went to put it in neutral to roll back to a more stable trail and thats when I found it.

So I haven't been having a very good day, or even a good Spring riding season.

CJM
04-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Buy a used/new case from ebay, they are going REAL cheap, under 50 bucks.

Blasters are a dime a dozen, easy to find cheap parts for them.

Course if its not the cover but the crank case itself, well that means I would JB weld and try it but welding is probably the solution.

Honda4LifeWes36
04-30-2011, 11:30 AM
Well I guess I didn't check craigslist. Thanks for that.

How hard would it be to change em though. Looks like you have to go through a lot of work.

I'm definitely gonna try to weld first and see if that does anything. Ebay will probably be option #2.

Should have a picture up in a couple hours.

Honda4LifeWes36
05-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Here is the picture.

matts27
05-01-2011, 04:13 PM
If thats broken all the way around you're definetly gonna have to weld it. Theres some forces applied to the shift shaft as you hammer through the gears. If you got all the chunks of aluminum it'll make the welding easier. I would try tiging it from the outside and smearing JB weld around it when done. It's gonna leak a little for a bit but might stop. Ain't got nothing to lose now. Easier to try then tearing down the case and splitting it. Just my 2 cents, Matt

tri5ron
05-01-2011, 04:16 PM
don't screw around with it.
You need a new sidecase.

Honda4LifeWes36
05-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Yeah its a little worse than I thought after I got the covers and sprocket outta the way. Things really haven't been going my way! Popped a tire on my truck today coming back from riding!!

CJM
05-01-2011, 10:00 PM
A good tig welder can repair that, but for the cost of a case I wouldnt bother.

Honda4LifeWes36
05-07-2011, 01:35 PM
What should I search on ebay to find this? "Yamaha blaster case" or it is like Left side?

BTW sorry to bring this back up.

Honda4LifeWes36
06-13-2011, 05:46 PM
Sorry to bring up again? How difficult is it to take it out and put a new case back in?

CJM
06-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Probably have to crack the outside case open, maybe the middle one. Not sure since I never had a blaster apart that far. Good news is they are rather simple so it shouldnt be to hard.