PDA

View Full Version : 6 plate clutch

Raged66
04-29-2011, 03:56 PM
I purchased a 6 plate clutch basket from Pitster and having never replaced a clutch I need some help.
When I get the new basket in place there is play/movement in the plates. I was told (might be bad info) by a friend that the plates should not have any movement in them when the pressure plate is on. The only way I can see this possible is if I don't use the spacers #12 and #13 on the picture here - http://shop.pitsterpro.com/clutch155125z.aspx
Should there be some play in the plates or do I need to loose those spacers... any help will be greatly appreciated.

Also.. anybody know what I should torque the bolts to on the pressure plate?

Trying to make a race tomorrow so if you can help me.. please do

Ride1Rob
04-30-2011, 05:58 AM
When we ran the 6 disc plates in our engine and it had some play in there also. Just try and make sure the pressure plate is on properly. If not, the lever won't engage. That setup last alot longer for us than the 5 plate setup did.

Raged66
05-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the help. Glad to see you still around the forums even though the switch to two wheels.
I put the clutch in and put it back together but had no clutch.. Ripped it all back apart and now waiting on a new gasket to take another stab at it. Coming to PA anytime soon? I can put you to work:D

Ride1Rob
05-04-2011, 07:08 AM
No problem, I still try to help out when I can. I've been through the same issues most of you guys have had or will encounter. I've also replaced clutches and put everything back together only to find out I still had no clutch. If the pressure plate and the rest of the clutch is seated correctly and locked into place it won't engage. Up until I sold Jams quad it still took me to play with it and turn it just right to get it to seat correctly. Once it does it though you'll know. Call Terry at Firepower minis and he'll be able to tell you better than I can how to make sure it's seated properly. (810) 964-1665