PDA

View Full Version : Buying off of a forum.

Zakradu398
04-29-2011, 03:29 PM
How exactly does this work? Is it pretty much an honor system??

I have a Paypal and all but I've only used it on Ebay before and not sure how you would do it if you were buying parts from say a person on here.

Thanks, Zak

CJM
04-29-2011, 03:40 PM
Honor system pretty much. I like to only use paypal and nothing else b/c at least then you have some kinda degree of protection.

Most people (read 99% of them) make good on deals, its that 1% that need to be tracked down and beaten usually that give everyone a bad name.

Only 1 deal for me went bad out of dozens here, and that person renigged on selling me some tires once after we made a deal b/c I assume someone offered him more.

Honda#4
04-29-2011, 05:48 PM
Be sure to take a look at the black list and trader feedback, that will tell you whos naughty and nice on the site on here. If your not sure on a person don't hurt to ask.

Trader Feedback:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=39

Black List:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=186951

LTandRaptorider
04-29-2011, 07:57 PM
And how you pay is- The person you want to send money to needs to have a Paypal account. They provide you the email they use for that. You log into your PayPal, send money the usual way to the email the person provided you.

And if you don't mind, I have a question. I've had people in recent months request that I send payment as a gift, it saves them fees. When I did that, I got hit with a $3 fee, i think it was. The seller said they never heard of that. I don't mind saving someone some $$, but not when it costs me! Anyone know more about this?

CJM
04-29-2011, 08:04 PM
I wont send as gift, if something happens your sol.

As for why people want it-supposed to avoid fees, Im thinking paypal got smart if they are charging 3 bucks.

DnB_racing
04-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I wont send as gift, if something happens your sol.

As for why people want it-supposed to avoid fees, Im thinking paypal got smart if they are charging 3 bucks. if you have a balance in your paypal,it wont charge the person sending the money if sent as gift, but paypal could close your account for not paying fees
but if you dont have a balance it will automatically charge the buyer if sent as gift, and no harm to either persons account,
the safest way is to just add the 3% when paying for something, this way its for goods and not gift,
and the person selling shouldn't have to pay for your safety and convenience.. it should be buyers responsibility to pay the fees if they want to use paypal

e463x
04-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Money order threw the post office they cash it dont send your stuff make if Mail fraud.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
04-30-2011, 04:17 PM
Use PayPal and ALWAYS use a credit card, not a debit card. If something goes wrong PayPal sucks for reversing payments but you can reverse it with your credit card company if need be.

KingpinsEx
05-01-2011, 12:38 AM
I have always used money orders and never had a problem. If you spend a couple extra bucks to make the person sign in order for them to receive it then they can't B.S. you that they did not get it. Plus you have their address, which has to have some connection with the person in order for them to get the money order. Also they cannot use a fake name or they would not be able to cash the money order. And as some else mentioned, mail fraud has some pretty serious consequences. Basically get as much info as possible from the person and check it. Home phone numbers are great, that way you can get ahold of them if there is a problem and gives you more info to give to authorities if needed. Ask for more, additional pictures. This will prove if they actually have the parts. Most people who sell on forums do so frequently, try to buy from people who are well known. If a deal is too good to be true, it probably is.