PDA

View Full Version : 88 exhaust help!!!

warthoga5
04-29-2011, 02:48 PM
I have an 88 R that I am trying to get up and running. I am trying to put an FMF Gold Series pipe on it and I have run into a problem. The first small piece of pipe that attaches to the flange is hitting the frame on the left side right where the main pipe would connect to it. When I put the entire exhaust all the way on, there is a gap between the flange and the pipe on the left side about 1/8 to 3/16 wide. Even when I only have the short piece of pipe on I can't get it flush with the flange because it hits the frame. I have really carefully inspected the frame and I don't think it is bent or anything. My gut feeling is that it is the wrong pipe, maybe for an 86? I thought that pipes were interchangable between all years, but now I am not so sure. Any advice on what direction I should head next would be greatly appreciated!

Honda 250r 001
04-29-2011, 04:29 PM
Pictures, pictures pictures. I cant really get an idea if what your talking about, ive never had a problem with FMF's pipes.

973trx250r87
04-29-2011, 05:12 PM
I think i get what your talking about. What direction are the holes for the exhaust springs facing? If your running a stock flange they should be facing away from the exhuast. The first section of pipe isn't straight so a flange thats rotated will cause this.

warthoga5
04-29-2011, 05:39 PM
Sorry, no camera right now. I don't believe that the flange is stock as it has six holes for exhaust springs, two between each pair of bolt holes. I will try rotating the flange and see if that fixes the problem.

973trx250r87
04-29-2011, 06:10 PM
Yea i would try the rotating the flange, i was messing with the flange and pipe after i read the first post. I have the same pipe with a stock flange.

warthoga5
04-29-2011, 06:26 PM
No luck, flange appears to be pretty uniform all the way around. I see what you mean about the short pipe not being straight, it fits much better if the pipe is rotated about 180 degrees, but then the spring attachments wont line up to link the pipes. Anybody have suggestions for a different pipe maybe?