PDA

View Full Version : How many of u use the head stay?

Grande Huevos
04-29-2011, 05:59 AM
Couple years back i was told that the head stay really isnt important and doesnt need to b used at all . I dont remember exactly wherer the info came from so thought maybe u guys could chime in on what u think.

fx4pitrone
04-29-2011, 06:45 AM
I know on many of the older quadracers, especially the 500, it's suggested to not use it. Many people have leaky head gasket problems when running the head stay... the twisting and flexing of the chassis is transmitted to the cylinder head when it's attached to the frame... not sure if it's a problem on the hondas, but for the LT's it sometimes was.....

troybilt
04-29-2011, 06:55 AM
I come from the school of thought that the head stay is more for frame strength and support not really for the motor. So I always run the headstay, but may or may not tighten the head bolt to the head stay itself. (Especially with stock frames, you want to run the head stay)

250Renvy
04-29-2011, 07:28 AM
I've heard with the big bore motors, a lot of people crack frames/motor mounts when they don't use it - or possibly the other way.

Ruf Racing
04-29-2011, 07:39 AM
Connect it to the frame. Leave the head bolt out. :D

Pumashine
04-29-2011, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by troybilt
I come from the school of thought that the head stay is more for frame strength and support not really for the motor.

Right on Troy. If you look at the motor as a structural part of the frame you will see it is connected together in triangle shapes ^ (mounting points). I would use it bolted up if possible.

Honda 250r 001
04-29-2011, 07:51 AM
I grind the tabs off where it mounts to the motor, then i bolt it up. Its got a nice clean look and it helps support the frame.

danhung11
04-29-2011, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Ruf Racing
Connect it to the frame. Leave the head bolt out. :D

x2! I actually run the one in my Aren's frame AND bolt it up to the Pro Cross head. My thinking is, they made it for it so I am sure it was designed for a reason.

You'd be surprised at how much the headstay pulls the frame rails together once it's sinched down. I'd guess it is at least at least 6mm total, enough to slide in a front rotor between the headstay and frame rail on each side. :ermm:

jcs003
04-29-2011, 02:08 PM
i just put a smaller bolt through so the cylinder can move a bit. i also use a nylock nut on it and take it within a turn of snug. havent had a leaking or blown head gasket since.

DnB_racing
04-29-2011, 02:20 PM
without the head stay isn't there more a chance of braking the base studs and possibly the base of cylinder mounts themselves?and on big bores I would think it would even be more pressure on the studs!

wild250rman
04-29-2011, 02:46 PM
duncan racing recomended several years ago not to run the head stay with their set up something about letting the motor rev better. when i quit running the head stay i started breaking motor mounts and having more cracks on the frame. a couple frames later i started using the head stay again and have not had any issues since. i agree with danhung it is there for a reason.

hawaiiysr
04-29-2011, 03:46 PM
I don't run mine on my R or my LT500. With all the cracks in my frame and what was said here I think ill run one from now on without the bolt just for added support.

Grande Huevos
04-29-2011, 06:43 PM
ok well i was just curious but now that u said that about duncan maybe through the grape vine thats where it originated? either way i never ran one on my 310 and didnt have any probs that im aware of, but since u all keep bringing up the cracked frame issue i did have a couple but they were on the part of frame right around the brake pedal. not sure if it was caused by this but i think ill go ahead and slap one on my new bike just to b safe. i just wanted to make sure there wasnt a reason of why u shouldnt use one that could maybe play a negative role on my motor.
Thanks guys!

danhung11
04-29-2011, 06:57 PM
My DR head doesn't have a headstay mount, doesn't mean you shouldn't bolt up the bracket for support. :ermm:

HAYESTRX250R
05-01-2011, 08:14 PM
No head stay on my Arens frame and no problems over the last 6 years.