PDA

View Full Version : clutch question?

drr50dad
04-28-2011, 06:04 AM
I am not going to lie, i have no idea other than the tear down and inspection from the service manual how to actually change rollers springs and torque springs on my drx lc 50. I have never had one of these apart and i am wondering is there a place with instructions or is it simply pull it apart and put it back. thanks

Logan #34's Dad
04-28-2011, 08:45 AM
Check youtube. There are a few "how to" videos on there. G-force web site has some instructions as well. BUT, be careful, you can really screw up these cvt systems. Add too much weight in the variator and it won't accelerate very fast, put too little in, it will take off fast and rev to the moon but top speed will suffer. Then there are different strength torque springs that directly affect the roller weight and grip on the belt.
WELCOME to the headache of the cvt world! Lol.

nitrofish
04-28-2011, 01:05 PM
The tearin' em down and puttin' em back together is the easy part. The frustrating part will be the fine tuning, search clutch on these forums and you will find a plethora of information, pay particular attention to Eathansdad's posts. Pull the cover off, probabley 19mm and 17 mm for the clutch (rear pulley) and vario (front pulley). Use an impact to remove the nuts, it is difficult to use hand tools because everything wants to rotate on ya. Note the bevel washer on the vario (direction it faces). You may also have a small o-ring on the end of the shaft of the clutch assembly. Now, simply remove each bolt washer, etc one by one and stack them in order until you get familiar of their whereabouts. The vario holds the rollers you will see them inside rollin' around in their little house. I would start by cleaning and replacing with 3.5 gram rollers which is the weight of each of the six rollers. The torque spring, the big one that is mushed in the clutch assembly should be replaced with a 1500 spring a red mallossi works well here. It can be a little tricky to get things apart to get to the spring your first time. We use an 1 1/2 socket and an impact to get the nut off, not sure what the mm equivalent is. You will need an assistant to keep the assembly mushed as you take the nut off or things will fly around the garage. Replace spring and reverse steps. ya don't have to lug nut tight the nut, just hit it once with the impact. There are three little springs in the clutch, you should be able to leave these be for now. Replace your stock belt with a 782 16 30, seems to work best in the 50s. Now stick it all back in and your done. You will need to bury the belt a bit into the rear pulley to get the belt length you need to stretch to the front. Again just hit the nuts with the air. Hope this helps, I'm sure others will chime in with tips and suggestions. Matt.

drr50dad
04-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Thanks so much you guys, I'm going to give it a shot.

nitrofish
04-29-2011, 04:32 AM
Shoot me an email if you have any questions. Matt.

nitrofish@yahoo.com