PDA

View Full Version : look at this crap, my battery melted

j400exrider
02-19-2003, 12:17 PM
well my truck has been stuck in the snow, so it has been sitting in my driveway for about 4 days now, well i went to try and get it unstuck today and it wouldn't start, so i opened the hood cause i was going to jump it with my car, well i was like holy crap when i saw my batter its like melted, i got pics let me just figure out how to post them

j400exrider
02-19-2003, 12:22 PM
you have to scroll over to see the photo, man this sucks i am broke and now i got to buy a battery, i just can't figure out what happened

Moded86R
02-19-2003, 12:23 PM
You better get that thing fixed.Because I want to go riding cheif!

j400exrider
02-19-2003, 12:24 PM
lol, i know but we still need a trailer, i will get it fixed i will steal the battery out of my car.

DGR Designs
02-19-2003, 12:32 PM
holy crap-ola :eek: that is some crazy arse chit! man i have never seen that happen before tahts crazy

j400exrider
02-19-2003, 12:34 PM
i never seen it happen either i was fine the other day the last time i drove it about 4 or 5 days ago and it was fine cuase i gave a friend a jump so i don't know what has happened since then, but it has been sitting, but i gots to get some gloves on and take it out of there, it even ate the terminals.

trueblue450
02-19-2003, 01:06 PM
You gotta short somewhere. One of your power wires is touchin bare metal somewhere. If you put in a new battery it will probably do it again. I'd check those red wires in the back to make sure one of them isn't stripped. Youre lucky your truck didn't start on fire. My friends old truck did the same thing and was smoking like crazy. His whole power cable melted and started a fire.

Pappy
02-19-2003, 01:15 PM
id say that jerry rigged hold down thats touching the positive post might just be the cause of your trouble there chief;)

after further review......i would have imagined you would have seen some smoke comin off that crispy critter....ive seen a chit pot full of burnt up batteries...and they cook off like a mofo:)

i geuss that one is now a dura smoke:devil

BadA$$440
02-19-2003, 01:18 PM
i see the letters "Dura" on it, it wouldnt happen to be a "Durablue" would it? j/k:D

Moded86R
02-19-2003, 01:21 PM
Hey pappy your pretty smart.The old cheif is sitting next me and denying it.But I think that is what happended to.

Good going pappy.Just wish the cheif would listen to me.

Pappy
02-19-2003, 01:29 PM
i see stuff like that all day long.....

i have a pic somewhere of a genuis that sawed of the top post on a dual post battery:huh he said he didnt need the top post so he didnt see what the problem was:huh

i didnt have much trouble explaining to him that he had just cost himself $179.00 (yellop top optima battery) and that he qualified for the annual darwin awards:devil

the only other 2 things that could have caused that..well 3:

1) thermal runaway

2) his battery was frozen and it shorted either when driving or while waiting to jump his buddy

3) the battery had a bad cell

but i would lay money that the coat hanger holddown did it in. :confused2

Knight440
02-19-2003, 01:47 PM
but i would lay money that the coat hanger holddown did it in.

Yep no doubt

43atv
02-19-2003, 04:32 PM
I agree. the coat hanger is touching the positive battery post.

Quadfather
02-19-2003, 07:29 PM
I feel bad for you and all, but I must admit, I stared at that picture for a good five minutes laughing my ***** off.

Couldn't you have used the ever popluar bungee strap method?

j400exrider
02-19-2003, 07:34 PM
i actually just got that truck about 2 months ago it was my brothers and i wasn't the one who installed the battery so i don't have a clue who installed it using that method, but it wasn't my fault, but i never seen this happen before its wierd though but what can ya do other than replace it.