PDA

View Full Version : keep Alabama in your prayers

madskrillz2
04-28-2011, 01:28 AM
I'm sure some of you have seen we've had a historic outbreak of tornadoes today. 3 or more being ef4and 5's. Already 73 deaths and they are expecting even more. There were 15 in Tuscaloosa alone. One very large one hit about 30 minutes from me and literally leveled the town Phil Campbell. The whole town was described to look like a nuke went off. They're also saying 400'000 homes without power for at least 3 days. Luckily I have power but no internet or cable. I'm typing this from my phone so excuse the mistakes. I wish SCRO would chime in to see how he made it through this hellish day.

Pappy
04-28-2011, 03:14 AM
We are getting the storms now...scary stuff. Hope everyone is safe and will be praying no doubt!

quadrcr161
04-28-2011, 08:16 AM
i went to the school that was leveled in the 98 storm and moved a little south to montgomery area, it misses us again this time but took out a lot down here also. i havent heard too much from birmingham but this storm took just about the same path as 98, tuscaloosa up through hueytown and to birmingham.

Scro
04-28-2011, 11:03 AM
It's amazing the amount of wide spread devastation. There were three areas on my way home from work that were completely leveled. The closest it came to us was about 10 miles north, and houses were missing from there. Much of north central Alabama is without power because of a main line from Browns Ferry power plant being damaged. They are saying it could be 5 or 6 days before it's restored. Last fatality number I heard was 145.

bens250ex
04-28-2011, 05:17 PM
i drove right through the storm yesterday on my way back to school, it was sketchy. Trees thrown out in the middle of the road, a van had been thrown around and was laying on its side, threes were levelled. We finally got power last night at 1230. we heard it was going to be days. telephone phone were all leaning.

DnB_racing
04-28-2011, 05:37 PM
I hope all your family and friends are safe!!!I complain about the snow and slush and cold, but the stuff you have to go through makes New England winters look like a joke!

tri5ron
04-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Wow!,
you guys make the earthquakes out here sound whimpy.
I can't imagine what it must be like living where these tornados come every year like clockwork, and in some cases are followed by hurricanes and floods just months later.

my best wishes to all those lost, killed, and homeless.

simply mind baffleing.

madskrillz2
04-28-2011, 06:20 PM
I just got back from a friend of mines in Mt. Hope and his house, trucks, quads, everything is gone. He owns abunch of chicken houses and the tin is spread out across the fields like a sea of metal. Wrapped around trees like toilet paper. Fatalities are up 194 in the state alone now. Phil Campbell is going to be the bad one. They're still finding people today. I'm just very thankful that somehow they all went around my area. I live in Tuscumbia which is right next to both of those tornadoes.

madskrillz2
04-29-2011, 06:32 PM
This is all that is left of my friend David's house and chicken houses. I would have taken more pictures but I kinda felt bad taking these. Wouldn't want someone taking pictures of my trashed stuff for entertainment. This tornado was about 15 miles East of my house.
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/4300/20110428165120.jpg
This is the chicken houses. Sorry I couldn't figure out how to flip this one.
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/3508/20110428165146.jpg

madskrillz2
04-29-2011, 06:37 PM
Oh and this was a brick house btw

slightlybent47
04-29-2011, 07:29 PM
The news put up a satellite image from Nasa and you could see the path the tornados took. From way out it looked like an interstate highway but as they zoomed in you could see the damage.:eek2:

tri5ron
04-29-2011, 07:33 PM
I absolutely can not imagine coming home to find that my house was no longer there.

How do you possibly recover from something like that?

House, belongings, keepsakes, business all just not there any more.

I hope and wish for the best for everyone affected by this.

madskrillz2
04-30-2011, 09:55 AM
Yeah they're basically saying if you were in the path of any of these tornadoes and not underground in a storm shelter, you didn't stand a chance. I found out first hand how it's one thing to see this stuff in pictures but to see it in person is just nauseating. I feel so bad for my buddy cause he has lost literally everything. He told me yesterday it doesn't really set in until he thought to himself "Hey I'm gonna go ride over to the track, oh wait I can't." 4 vehicles, 3 quads, and a RZR all totaled.

Scro
04-30-2011, 04:41 PM
There were several areas near us that look exactly like that. My wife and I rounded up all the clothes that we don't wear any more, and took them to Phil Campbell (one of the harder hit areas). I could not imagine loosing everything I owned.

There have been alot of places where power has been restored, including us.

madskrillz2
04-30-2011, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Scro
There were several areas near us that look exactly like that. My wife and I rounded up all the clothes that we don't wear any more, and took them to Phil Campbell (one of the harder hit areas). I could not imagine loosing everything I owned.

There have been alot of places where power has been restored, including us.

What part of Alabama are you? I know you told me before but I forgot.

Scro
05-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by madskrillz2
What part of Alabama are you? I know you told me before but I forgot.

Double Springs.