PDA

View Full Version : Lew's (ChassisFABinc) Wide pegs and nerf bars

JoePA
04-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Those of you that purchased Lews wide pegs...what Nerf bars are you using? I purchased a set today for mine and I need to do some modifications to the nerfs to get them to fit.

Anyone with them installed with your nerfs can you post a pic?

pdxbigfoot
04-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Post up some pics or shoot me a txt.

Prime Target
04-28-2011, 09:35 PM
I'd be interested in what nerfs guys are using with Lew's pegs also.

pdxbigfoot
04-28-2011, 09:40 PM
The 2 smaller holes on the pegs are the same exact distance apart as the Rolls.
I haven't tried bolting mine up because I know I will have to fabricate some mounts for my mystery DGs that I have had to make work since day one.

etccb
04-28-2011, 09:41 PM
I am also very interested in this thread.

pdxbigfoot
04-28-2011, 09:52 PM
I foresee heel guards, nerfs and pegs being available in the next few months.

We have a mock up heel guard done and will get another worked out next Thursday.
I will throw some updates as they happen. For nerfs right now with the assortment of brands out there I have no idea to really know what will bolt right up. To be honest I have never seen a set of nerfs bolt up correctly, ever. They always fight me!

If you guys are having issues throw some pics up and we will get it figured out.

JoePA
04-28-2011, 10:56 PM
OK....here is what I've run into. I ordered up a set of motosport nerf bars for the R and Lews pegs. The difference between the two pegs is night and day. Lews pegs are wider and longer than our stockers. Now this isn't a bad thing at all. Matter of fact after seeing Lews pegs I'll never ride witht he stockers!!!

The problem you run into is Lews pegs are about 1/2" further forward and about 1 1/2" longer than stock. With my nerf bars the nerfs don't slid in all the way to the peg base and being the 1/2 forward it makes for a tight fit. the holes int the pegs are perfect and those holes line up just fine witht he nerfs.

Is this bad...NO but I do need to make some mods to my nerfs to make them work. When I'm done they will look even better but I do have to do some hacking and welding to make them work.

This could be the brand causing the issues as to I'm not sure how others attach. I'll get pics up tomorrow.

pdxbigfoot
04-28-2011, 11:01 PM
I'm picking up what your putting down.
Ill be looking for pics. I appreciate all the feedback. Its what is needed to make things even cooler.

JoePA
04-28-2011, 11:11 PM
One thing with the pegs. On the 86-87 pegs' if possible, moving them back about 1/4" to 1/2" back will save some headaches. I'll take some measurements tomoorrow to varify but where they are now limits the room for nerfs that pass through the frame. mine are hitting the frame and MAY need to be notched.

We'll get it squared away and once the nerfs are installed it will REALLY bring out how nice Lew's pegs are.....these pegs ARE bad ***!!!

JoePA
04-30-2011, 08:36 AM
Ok I took two pics to give you an idea as to what I'm up against. In this first pic you can see where the foot peg hits the nerf bar. It WILL bolt up in this position but where the tube crosses through the frame up front, it hits the frame.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t182/1BAD400/Photo04291753.jpg

Now int he next pic this is where the nerf bar should be located. The bolt holes will still line up in this position but with the peg being longer the nerf needs to be modified. If you look closely you'll see a line I scribed as to where the nerf needs to be cut and a plate welded in. The plate that is going to be welded in will bolt to the outside of the peg and still keep the nerf bar strong PLUS I think it will give the Nerf/Footpeg a cleaner look. Almost as if they are one piece. The front tube will still need to be notched for clearance. When I get to the point I'll post more pics.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t182/1BAD400/Photo04291754.jpg

If you all have any ideas please let me know. i didn't start hacking up the nerfs yet so if you see a differnt option fill us in!!

pdxbigfoot
05-01-2011, 01:28 AM
Give me a buzz on Sunday. I got a few ideas but too much to type on the phone (internet is down so I'm flying all Blackberry).

etccb
05-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Any updates JoePA? I am interested in these pegs for a 87 if I can bolt up some basic std nerfs to them and they are Down N Back.

JoePA
05-13-2011, 03:47 PM
etccb,
Soory I haven't posted anything. I'm currently having suspension issues and once that is resolved I'll be back on the nerf bar issue.

I did try a set of nerfs that came wiht the quad and they are close but still might take some modifications to get them to work.
I think the IMS 450R nerfs might work perfect as those nerfs are made for these pegs and Lew's pegs are similar to those.

On another note, I tried putting a stock set of pegs on and every damn set of nerfs I have here, don't fit the quad well either!!!

Once I'm squared away ont he suspension I'll post what I did to make mine work....not much fab work just need the time.

Jonny B
05-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Hey Joe, check out x factors website...I bought a set of their 450r nerfs on sale for $85! They are identical to the roll design (which are discontinued). I think they may have manufactured these for roll??? idk...anybody know for sure?

etccb
05-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Ok thanks. Also when you have your tape out and stock pegs around I would like to know exactly how much lower these pegs are and a width with forward back measurement based on the leading edge of the stock pegs. This may already be covered in the other thread but please if you have the time help the hadi. :D

JoePA
05-13-2011, 08:26 PM
Jonny,
Can you post a pic and take some mesurements for me?

Jonny B
05-14-2011, 09:48 AM
I was in a similar position to find nerfs for the laeger 350x chassis I am building for the wife, I have a 300ex engine in there now. This chassis extends 1" lower then the 250r chassis to accomodate the 4 stroke engine...so most 250r nerfs wont bolt onto this chassis. I seen the roll nerfs on dans quad and ordered them only to find out they are discontinued. I then found x factors and read on their site that they manfactured parts for years that were distributed by Big Named Companies, it mentions roll design. So, They looked the same and I tried them. I will post a few shots later today of them mounted on this chassis. My only issue is how wide they are...the rear of this quad is xc width 46" and the nerfs are 2" farther out then the rear tires. Looking at roll nerfs on dans quad and they seem the same way? I will most likely be able to move/weld the rear mounts to get them in closer for xc...

Jonny B
05-15-2011, 12:56 PM
Heres the x factor 450r nerfs on my little laeger project. You can see they are identical in design and the mounts as the roll nerfs. Therse will only fit onto ims roll pegs or 450r pegs but if lews pegs have the same nerf mount spacing, it shouldnt be a problem. The front mount is able to be located in a universal position allowing for adjustment front or back. Thats why I like them for this little laeger, the lower frame rails are an inch lower to accomodate the taller engine. I read where Dan Hung used the 450r roll nerfs so I decided to try these. They fit great but are a little wide...

Jonny B
05-15-2011, 12:57 PM
A shot from the front. The rear axle is oem 400ex take off so its only 46" wide. I think that they can be moved in by cutting the peg bracket and welding it on in a new position...

Jonny B
05-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Plenty of room to go in closer...

Jonny B
05-15-2011, 01:00 PM
Notice the front mount can slide to a universal position...I even had the front mount upside down mounted to the upper rail above the lower frame rail but didnt like it in that position...

Jonny B
05-15-2011, 01:05 PM
The center to center on these is 14 1/2".

snacob14
05-16-2011, 10:47 AM
ok, so where do I get some info on these. THinking I'm wanting a set, but would like a price and stuff.

Jonny B
05-16-2011, 11:41 AM
I found them on x factors website, these are the pro am 450r nerfs. $85 new was like $105 shipped to me.

snacob14
05-16-2011, 08:04 PM
talking about the pegs

JoePA
05-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Here's the post for lew's pegs at ChassisINCfab

I also bumped post to the top of the age for you.

Jonny,
Do those nerfs go under the the outer edge of the the peg? Also what is the measurement from the front of the peg, where the nerf mounts, to the front of the nerf bar? I know you mentioned cent to center but on the stock frames ther is a bar in the way just below the motor moutns that is causing an issue.