PDA

View Full Version : Startin my rebuild

Cpt_killem
04-27-2011, 07:39 PM
So i bought another 400 a few weeks ago tore it down to nothin, my intentions are to powder-coat the frame black swingarm red, lower a arms black and upper red.

But as for the moment i am having a hell of a time trying to wire wheel all the paint off the frame.
Is there any quicker way or advice as to how to get into all the nooks and creases?

Is it absolutely nessicary to get all the paint off anyways?

CJM
04-27-2011, 08:49 PM
If you dont start clean your gonna need alot of primer to blend it in.

Go to any home center and get a rough removing pad (Im not sure the technical name). It fits into a drill and looks like a giant very rough round scotchbrite pad. usually around the drill access section iirc.

04-27-2011, 11:30 PM
it's been awhile since i've used it but there is a sray on,spray paint can style,chemical that will alllow u to spray on. it'll bubble after some time rinse repeat as necessary.hella-easier than grinder buff pad wheels if u can find it.

bdubwiley
04-28-2011, 04:55 AM
the chemical you are talking about is something like Aircraft Stripper, its a great product for sure but it is def messy. i dont have any experience with powder coat, but i do automotive painting for a living and when we paint something it is not required to get all the paint off to paint something. all you need is a good scratch in it for the paint to stick to. but kinda like CJM said its all in the prep work and if you dont start out clean and do it right you will not have a good end result. its all in how you prep it that makes the job.

edit: i have been thinking about it, and seeing that you have wire wheeled it, it would be hard to feather it all out and stuff. so i think your best bet for the job to look professional is to get all the paint off. a sandblaster/soda blaster would work great if you have access. that is probably the way i will eventually do mine with the soda blaster and TRY to find a powder coater around my area.

Cpt_killem
04-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Thanks for all the replys! I have the aircraft paint remover just havent used it yet, tryin to save it for the parts that are absolutely nessicary to remove.

I have access to a sandblaster, never really used it though, if that will remove that paint easily and get in the hard to get areas ill do that.

I guess all of this is really trial and error on how to get it done easily.

I have another question though. the ball joints on the a arms they have to be removed for powdercoating because of the head applied, how do you get thoes out, press out?

CJM
04-28-2011, 09:44 AM
Cant remove the stock ball joints really. I mean you can but they generally do not come out. I would paint the arms instead of powder coating them.

Sandblasting the frame would be best if you have one.

Cpt_killem
04-28-2011, 10:23 AM
whats a strong paint for the a arms that wont chip off easily when trail riding?

Studster
04-28-2011, 10:47 AM
chassis saver ... used for automotive frames... dries hard as a rock... about $120 a gallon

CJM
04-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Chassis saver, POR15, Rust bullet, an epoxy based paint all would hold up well. Rustoleum hammered is nice too but its not epoxy based.

BLINGSTAR 400EX
04-29-2011, 02:27 PM
dude i just finished exactly what your doing now...i got a cheapy sand blaster from Harbor Freight that hooks up to your air compressor. $20...got play sand for $3 a 40lb bag from Lowes...i screened the sand with a piece of window screen. pumped up the air pressure to 90psi and went to town....came out really good. a very messy process, recommend doing outside. wear glasses and maybe a respirator. used about a whole bag of sand to do the entire chassis. to say the least, the powdercoater was impressed.... all for under $30

BLINGSTAR 400EX
04-29-2011, 02:31 PM
also there is a kit on ebay for replacing the stock ball joints by cuttin them off and installing the new ones with jam nuts. my buddy did this a few years back with the same kit and hasn't had any problems with it to date. just dont forget the lock tite!!!!!lol