PDA

View Full Version : 400ex cam

dxcody
04-27-2011, 03:48 PM
2003 400ex will a 99 400ex cam fit and will a 2008 cam fit? THere is a 2008 cam for $50 on ebay and there is a 99 cam on ebay for $50 and i wasnt sure which one would fit.. thanks/

01boneless
04-27-2011, 04:07 PM
im pretty sure they will but let cjm or steve jump on this before you buy one :):)

finsteratv
04-27-2011, 04:57 PM
im pretty sure any 400ex one will drop in if you're talkin aboutstock cams.

tri5ron
04-27-2011, 05:55 PM
if they are used cams, it is not adviseable to put them with your used rockers.

you can put a NEW, UNUSED, cam (stock OEM, or hotcams) on your used rockers,...
or,
You can put NEW ROCKERS, on a USED stock OEM or Hotcams.

You CAN NOT put a Web cam (new or used), or other brands, on your USED Rockers.

Web cams and other brands that are Hardened Face, must be installed NEW with NEW rockers, so that they can "Seat in" together.

so to answer your original question,
If the cams YOU mentioned are NEW, UNUSED, NEVER BEEN INSTALLED,...
Then Yes, you can use them with your used rockers.

Used cams, on other used rockers are a big no-no.

For OEM, or Hotcams,...Either the cam, or the rockers must be new, to properly "Seat".

CJM
04-27-2011, 06:09 PM
Unless they were an aftermarket cam I wouldnt even bother anyways. Stock for stock, nothings changed.

I echo Rons advice, dont mix and match-it is not a good idea. Maybe it will be fine, maybe it wont-dont chance it.

dxcody
04-28-2011, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Unless they were an aftermarket cam I wouldnt even bother anyways. Stock for stock, nothings changed.

I echo Rons advice, dont mix and match-it is not a good idea. Maybe it will be fine, maybe it wont-dont chance it.

Well these are $50 or a new hotcam is $130 i am just wanting to get it running again. Because i bought my quad and it had no top end on it but it came with one and turns out the cam doesnt have the decompression parts on it.. and YES it is the stock cam, so i am going to spend $80 on the decompression parts or $50 for a used stock cam, or $130 for a hotcam

tri5ron
04-28-2011, 10:22 AM
You came and asked for the advice.

We've taken the time to explain WHY it is not a good idea.

Nobody here can stop you from doing what you will do.

Just remember this thread, when you have spent your money and it fails to run properly,... causing damage to your engine, and causing you to spend even MORE money.

CJM
04-28-2011, 01:26 PM
^ Exactly.

I have this motto-"buy once, cry once."

Spend the money for the right thing now or you might be sorry later. Cutting corners on an engine is never a good idea..

dxcody
04-28-2011, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
You came and asked for the advice.

We've taken the time to explain WHY it is not a good idea.

Nobody here can stop you from doing what you will do.

Just remember this thread, when you have spent your money and it fails to run properly,... causing damage to your engine, and causing you to spend even MORE money.

I wasnt trying to be a dick i was just making sure everyone knew why i was in this pickle i am in, so i could get the 100% best opinoin and im guessing it looks like the hotcam is the way to go... Now stage 1 or 3? I dont want a stage 2, i use my low end way more then top end.. I mostly do hills and trails but i like to throw in a little MX in there sometimes.. Im not even sure what stage 3 is.. I know 1 is low-mid Thanks everyone for the advice, also should i just go ahead and buy new rockers anyways? Mine apear to be fine but im not as mechanicly inclined as i would like to be so im not sure

CJM
04-28-2011, 08:59 PM
With your setup the stage 2 is perfect. I have tons of power all the way around with my 416 and stage 2. Stage 1 is also a good choice, stage 3 is for alot of topend and isnt much good unless you drag race all the time.

Im not sure why but recently checking hotcams site they only list a stage 1 and stage 3. I know you can still get stage 2's all over.

honda400ex2003
04-28-2011, 09:07 PM
stage 1 would get my vote if you want alot of low end. :D I like mine for some setups. for others it is almost too low. lol though not the case with a stock comp engine.

imo your rockers will be good to go if they dont have accessive movement side to side or anything unusual.

steve