PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have tuning instructions for PEP shocks?

CorvetteZ06
04-27-2011, 03:48 AM
Hey guys, I have PEP ZPS long travel shocks my my quad, and I can't find the directions from PEP on how all the adjustments work/how to fine tune them. Does anyone have any they can scan, or take pictures of for me? Thank you very much in advance!!

Mrs. SFRacing
04-28-2011, 06:36 AM
What kind of tuning help are you looking for?

Kovatch
04-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Not sure what you are looking for but ride height with rider should be 7.5-8" for MX. The higher the number the stiffer the setting... I start on click 4 and adjust from there. Ride it a few laps and change it accordingly.

Give Baldwin a call. They will answer your questions.

CorvetteZ06
04-28-2011, 12:10 PM
hey guys, thanks for the responses. specifically i was asking about how the cross over rings affect the ride, by either adding them or taking them out.

number52
04-29-2011, 07:36 PM
This is the same for all shocks. The more gap, the plusher the ride, but they will dive a little more due to crossover over to the main spring later into the travel. I would recommend to have the top spring just about to cross over with you on the bike and the middle spring to have about 3/8" of gap. The problem with measuring ride height with PEP's is that most of the time the extended length isn't correct to start with so you end up chasing your tail trying to bandaid another problem!

CorvetteZ06
04-29-2011, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by number52
This is the same for all shocks. The more gap, the plusher the ride, but they will dive a little more due to crossover over to the main spring later into the travel. I would recommend to have the top spring just about to cross over with you on the bike and the middle spring to have about 3/8" of gap. The problem with measuring ride height with PEP's is that most of the time the extended length isn't correct to start with so you end up chasing your tail trying to bandaid another problem!

ok, i have a much better understanding now, thank you!!

Mrs. SFRacing
05-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by number52

News to me.

Mrs. SFRacing
05-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Kovatch
Not sure what you are looking for but ride height with rider should be 7.5-8" for MX. The higher the number the stiffer the setting... I start on click 4 and adjust from there. Ride it a few laps and change it accordingly.

Give Baldwin a call. They will answer your questions.

If its a honda,7 in the rear and 7 and 3-8ths in the front with the rider on the bike looking straight ahead with hands on handle bars.

KingpinsEx
05-08-2011, 06:03 PM
What about a suzuki 450?

Mrs. SFRacing
05-09-2011, 10:28 AM
A suzuki has a slight frame rake of 3/8 of a inch so with the rider on the bike make sure you subtract 3/8 from the tape measure so if it says 7 and 3/8ths you know its 7,i like to see the ltr @ 6 and 3/4 rear and 7.5 in the front before the correction so the final would be the 6 and 3/4 and 7and 1/4 front with rider on the bike have somebody hold the bumper down half way through the travel and rider needs to turn the bars left to right and this will scrub the front end in.Then measure lowest portion of the frame under the front footpeg bolt and the back lower a arm tab gusset plate(where the a arm nut is).

Kovatch
05-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Mrs. SFRacing
If its a honda,7 in the rear and 7 and 3-8ths in the front with the rider on the bike looking straight ahead with hands on handle bars.

Good call. I stand corrected as I gave him my settings and not what the actual heights should be set at. I run mine a little higher than normal.

My fault CorvetteZ06.

SixRB6
05-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Corvette,

Save yourself a ton of headaches and call SFRacing and speak to Seth. He is hands down the best suspension guy in the business. He will walk you through how to set you quad up CORRECTLY...

309-208-4877

You will be extremely happy...

ds19
05-11-2011, 07:26 AM
Don't even bother speaking to sf If you can even get ahold of him. He will tell you to send them to him for about 250 bucks to have them redone. I had a pair of peps i bought from a guy and wanted to make them work better on my machine and he was NO help whatsoever. I called baldwin and they got me fixed up right away.

SixRB6
05-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Thats funny ds,

4 years ago I sent my stuff to Baldwin and they were the sh**iest set up I ever rode on. sent them back twice and they were wrong both times...

scotturban
05-11-2011, 10:37 PM
not everyone will have the exact same expierience with everything.. thats life, sf and balswin are both legit,, flip a coin lol

the4billa
05-12-2011, 07:16 PM
I believe that there is not 1 ounce of truth to what ds19 is saying,in fact seth and his wife over at sfracing are the best people in the biz when it comes to customer service and shocks,sometimes people get busy and backed up but they would never snuff anyone,corvette just call they will help you out period

NacsMXer
05-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by the4billa
I believe that there is not 1 ounce of truth to what ds19 is saying,in fact seth and his wife over at sfracing are the best people in the biz when it comes to customer service and shocks,sometimes people get busy and backed up but they would never snuff anyone,corvette just call they will help you out period

X2, Seth at SF is a hands down legit guy to deal with. He will go out of his way to help you out. Not that cool to publicly rag on him because of a misunderstanding. There's two sides to every story.

I've dealt with both Baldwin and SF for my PEP shock servicing, with positive results from both as far as shock setup goes. I'd say Baldwin is def harder to get a hold of, and has a much longer turn around time compared to SF. I know who i'm sending my shocks to from now on...

scotturban
05-12-2011, 08:46 PM
ds19 is telling the truth, I know him and there is a thread somewhere on this site, where sfracing would not sell him the bushings for his shocks, (he wanted to put some 450r pep shocks or something on a ds and wanted to buy thicker spacers)

I Guess baldwin sent him a pm and he called and they sent him some, and He says they worked great,

But everyone has different expieriences with everything. cant please everyone, from what ive heard im sure there good with shocks

Mrs. SFRacing
05-14-2011, 08:01 AM
I didnt sell him the spacers because the shocks were not built for the application and im not going to just"make a sale" when i know the shock was built for a different application,that way when it didnt work i couldnt be thrown under the bus in a atv open forum like this,sometimes you just cannot win.

ProRider#1
05-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by CorvetteZ06
Hey guys, I have PEP ZPS long travel shocks my my quad, and I can't find the directions from PEP on how all the adjustments work/how to fine tune them. Does anyone have any they can scan, or take pictures of for me? Thank you very much in advance!!

Here ya go ,Kenny at Suspension Systems serviced my PEP's and gave me this , it was very helpful. his website is www.hendrickracingshocks.com and his # is 704 948 3727