PDA

View Full Version : atc250r question

bobizzle
04-27-2011, 12:29 AM
i recently purchesed a runnning '86 ATC250R a few months back. i looked over the bike before buying, everything checked out fine. it has an aftermarket swing arm. the bike looks longer than stock naturally, but the front looked a little diffrent. i didnt know of anyone to compare it with. we went ride at the dunes this weekend and i met some people. one had an original '86. i looked at his front end and seen that the front 2 forks were switched around. l to r and vise versa. pushing more of the tire forward. also the calpier is on the right side above the forks. instead of on the left side behind the forks.

it is set up for more dunning and flt riding.

i was wondering if people do this for a reason? i havent seen other people with this set up, but it doesnt mean its not out there.

i will try and attach some photos of an original '85 and some images of mine to show the comparison.

bobizzle
04-27-2011, 12:31 AM
top photo is left side stock '85 front end

bottom is right side stock '85 front end

bobizzle
04-27-2011, 12:32 AM
my front left side '86 tire difference and break difference.

bobizzle
04-27-2011, 12:32 AM
my right side '86 brake and tire diffrence

deathman53
04-27-2011, 03:17 AM
the way the 85 trike is, is how it is supposed to be. People turn them around for more wheelbase, it just makes them turn really slow. The caliper is supposed to be on the left side, "protected" by the forks, not out in the open in front. I had work done on a 200x and when the front end was re-assembled, they did the same thing, why I don't know?

bobizzle
04-27-2011, 09:52 AM
i can understand it giving it more wheel base. and you are right it turns slow, bt it feels super stable riding like this. like i said its a plus 6 swing arm. i dont do to many tigh turns on it. mostly just a fast inline bike and for the dunes. thanks for you input on what you know about this setup.

also. are there alot of people running 350 kits on theses bikes. i am going pick up a cylinder and piston this afternoon.

k10seibel
04-27-2011, 08:03 PM
Wow that's...... ah... different??
Never heard of this being done on purpose, other than a rookie mistake. We've all been there......
Interesting idea I guess. I 'd go with the stock original set up though. If nothing else, just so I wouldn't look like a ........ and be told "Hey... your forks are on backwards"
Just my .02 cents though, bud.

hartwill
04-27-2011, 08:18 PM
All that would do is maybe put the wheel forward 2" the "rake" is already set by the frame so it won't change that assuming your mount is straight with the forks. I'm not very familiar with atcs. This is just my $.02. If your fork mount that goes through the frame isn't straight it will change your rake. that would be something to ask a dirtbike rider or chopper builder. It may however let you turn the wheel more. Acecarlos may be able to help he's into atcs.

bobizzle
04-28-2011, 12:49 AM
k10 i think im going to leave it the way it is. i ride dunes, and field riding. i felt how my friends bike felt, and the wheel is way easier to move if you hit ruts, bumbs, or anything else that throws your wheel off for a second. it kinda feels like a steering dampner on it.

also, hart, it is not changing the angle as much as putting the axle from one side of the fork to the other side, ruffly about 2" or so. like i said in paragraph above, pushes tire forward making it more stable.

thanks for your opinions, concerns, and comments. appreciate them all. but i go by the slogan, dont fix it unless its broke! i really wanted to know if other people were doing this alot, or just a couple.

sand_blaster
04-28-2011, 01:04 AM
Nice atc. i'm really craving a drag trike right now.

bobizzle
04-28-2011, 01:12 PM
I just picked up a pro-x cylinder. Ported for a plus 4. He gave me a lightened piston. Thinking about taking off my 265 top end now and putting it on. Just need a head. Only a hundred brand new. Wanna build a bottom end for it. But I'm looking at about 1500. Just crank, cut shift drum, and a couple other things done.

atvmxr
04-28-2011, 10:50 PM
i have seen other posts from deathman about the changes from this (pushing the front wheel), versus dragging it. i would check further on 3 wheeler org

Black Sheep
05-02-2011, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by hartwill
All that would do is maybe put the wheel forward 2" the "rake" is already set by the frame so it won't change that assuming your mount is straight with the forks. I'm not very familiar with atcs. This is just my $.02. If your fork mount that goes through the frame isn't straight it will change your rake. that would be something to ask a dirtbike rider or chopper builder. It may however let you turn the wheel more. Acecarlos may be able to help he's into atcs.

I love it...you're not familiar with ATC's and here you are giving advice on one :rolleyes: Can we have our $.02 back?

The rake on an 85-86 ATC 250R is determined by both the frame AND the triple clamps. While most M/C and ATC's have zero rake in the triple clamps, the 85-86 ATC 250R actually has rake built into them.

Now when you are talking about rake, you have what is called frame rake...and that is the rake determined by the steering tube. You then have overall rake and that is determined by front axle placement.

So by moving the axle to the other side, you are changing the overall rake ;)