PDA

View Full Version : 450er motor bogged then stopped?

mhewitt
04-26-2011, 07:49 PM
Bought an 07 450er today guy said he was riding n the motor bogged then cut off n wouldn't start back, no abnormal noise or sudden lockup, said drained oil had a goldish metallic tint to it. Could this be a crank or rod bearing issue? Is there anything else that could cause it?

mhewitt
04-26-2011, 07:52 PM
Motor was stock other than hrc jet kit, hmf slip-on, hotcam stage 2, airbox lid removed

DnB_racing
04-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by mhewitt
Bought an 07 450er today guy said he was riding n the motor bogged then cut off n wouldn't start back, no abnormal noise or sudden lockup, said drained oil had a goldish metallic tint to it. Could this be a crank or rod bearing issue? Is there anything else that could cause it? did you cut open the filter to see if any metal shavings are present?

ThumPIN_450R
04-27-2011, 12:55 AM
This has happened to me a few times. Every time it happened it was a lower rod bearing.

HMF_2004_450r
05-01-2011, 11:41 PM
Same thing happened to my 04 i was riding and it bogged down and wasnt letting me go any faster than like 10mph in 3rd gear i shut it off tried to kick it back over locked up tight rod bearing went out and damaged both case halfs scored my cylinder and piston

mhewitt
05-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Haven't had time to start tering it down but I have put it in gear n pushed it n the motor is free n turns over fine, hopefully one day this week I will have time to break into it just tryin to get some ideas of what to expect

DnB_racing
05-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Bought an 07 450er today guy said he was riding n the motor bogged then cut off n wouldn't start back, no abnormal noise or sudden lockup, said drained oil had a goldish metallic tint to it. Could this be a crank or rod bearing issue? Is there anything else that could cause it? you might get luck and the other guy didnt know what to look for, it could be just a dirty carb,

check to make sure there isn't any metal, look inside the plug hole and turn it over by hand, if everything looks ok try running for a quick second, and check oil again...

then run it and listen and feel if any vibration, some people are hypochondriacs and think the worst, you might get lucky

mhewitt
05-02-2011, 08:27 PM
ok so i charged the battery and turned the motor over by bumping the starter button, turns over easily no noises. tried again to see if it would start and no luck, did comp test and it was only 30 psi. i turned the decomp adjuster out so it wouldnt touch and it only went to 57psi.... so now im thinkin a broken ring or something of that nature

mhewitt
05-04-2011, 07:31 PM
sound like im on track to you guys?

DnB_racing
05-04-2011, 07:38 PM
sound like im on track to you guys? ya pull the head, and check valves and piston and rings and crank , its got to be one or more of those problems, my guess is valves or seals... but thats just guessing