PDA

View Full Version : Eton 50 HELP

Banks
04-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Been working on my grandson's 50 cc Eton.
The only way I can get it to run is spraying gas in the carb with a spray bottle..

It's had a new top end, new crank seals, new reed valve and a new carb.
If I spray long enough to get it warm it will run quite a while at a high idle but as soon as the throttle is touched it dies.

Took the new carb apart. All passages are open. fuel tank has been cleaned and flushed several times. New lines and filter

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

EthansDad
04-26-2011, 08:22 PM
well....

option 1 - get him a squirt gun full of 103 octane and tell him to go ride.....

---OR-----

option 2 -

something in your fuel system is off, obviously. if the motor needs more fuel (a la the squirt), its lean now. mainly, not enough fuel or two much air. also, high idle is another sign of lean.

here is what I'd check in this order -

1. Jetting. you jetted that new carb, right? could be your pilot jet is way too small and creating the lean condition. would also be nice to check your main too, but what you describe is pilot jet.

2 - check your reeds. they live under the intake boot for the carb, 4 bolts, remove inspect. you are looking for cracks in the pedals, or reeds that won't shut.

3. fuel filter / petcock - change filter, bypass or inspect petcock for flow.

4. cracked intake boot - they get old, the rubber boot that hold the carb. when they do, they let more air in. - test 5 will find that for you.

5. since so much is "new" -inspect that it was done right without creating new air leaks. get a can of brake cleaner from auto store, start the motor and start spraying the brake cleaner around the base of the cylinder, around the crank seals, around the intake boot, then around the head. if you hit a spot and the motor cuts off, well, you've found it.

that should keep you busy, let us know if you find anything.

-EA

chunky0071
04-27-2011, 10:05 AM
you can also tape up the filter to restrick the air flow just to check the jetting. if it starts running better than you need to go up in jetting.