PDA

View Full Version : Loosing 2 percent of body weight

ZeroLogic
04-26-2011, 05:44 PM
So I'm joining the army, and I need to loose two percent of my body weight in three to four weeks before I go to meps. I'm going to a gym tomorrow to get a membership started. I never did any kind of working out and I have no idea where to start. I've been running/fast pace walking a lot and also eating better. Any tips?

DnB_racing
04-26-2011, 06:11 PM
push ups, sit ups, and pull ups, and get one of those big balls to do different exercises on to help with balance and strengthen your joints, us your own body weight first, before adding weights, and lots of stretching, lunges, dips, and run, run, run forest, run!

trx310R#24
04-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
So I'm joining the army, and I need to loose two percent of my body weight in three to four weeks before I go to meps. I'm going to a gym tomorrow to get a membership started. I never did any kind of working out and I have no idea where to start. I've been running/fast pace walking a lot and also eating better. Any tips?

2% is not much lol u can loose it in a week by not playing video games or sitting in front of the tv all day.... play a sport?

MX MaNiAc 06
04-26-2011, 06:24 PM
Do a lot of cardio. Sweat as much as you can. But the only problem is you need strength as well if you're joining the army.

Eat healthy. But don't starve yourself. You can keep eating just cut the crap out of your diet and keep exercising. Cut out breads, fried foods and as many fats as you can. Try to just drink water.

Take a buddy to the gym with you to start you out on a pretty simple exercise program. Focus on correct posture so you don't hurt yourself.

Joining the army without ever working out is going to probly suck

ZeroLogic
04-26-2011, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm by no means "lazy" I'm very active and I work hard. I just gained about ten pounds since I've been out of work. I'm no stranger to lots of exercise. I just get it by lifting running around, jumping climbing, and manual labor. I'm a bigger guy 6' 240 pounds, but I have a gut now but (not bragging) big arms and legs, very very little fat on them.

In gym back in high school I ran two miles in 15 minutes and a few seconds with ease. I just have no idea how to exercise at a gym. :p

I've cut out soda, and bad drinks and mainly drink water. I rarely eat fried foods anymore or junk food also.

I'm just clueless when it comes to the gym. I don't think I even been on a treadmill before. :blah:

MX MaNiAc 06
04-26-2011, 07:02 PM
I recommend the elliptical. Its smoother and easier on your joints.

Sounds like you've got the muscle but its just hiding under some fat. Work on your cardio as much as possible to shave the pounds and get you ready to run your butt off in the army haha

miller821
04-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Just curious... Why Army?

And what MOS are you looking at?

Sjorge450R
04-27-2011, 07:27 PM
eat white fish!!!!! and chicken!

both are extremely low in fat and high in protein. And you cook them in 100000000 different ways.

fastrnrik
04-27-2011, 07:53 PM
If you're 240 then 2% is only 4.8 pounds. Thats gravy. Are you sure they told you to lose 2% of body "weight" or body fat? Thats a different deal than just losing a few pounds. The reason I ask is because body fat is usually given in percentages, not body weight.

cdrookie
04-27-2011, 08:22 PM
if you're 6' and 240 you'll always be getting "taped" at weigh in's. army wants you to be about 185-190 pds at that height. better get use to running.

you might not lose weight right away but after a couple weeks it'll come off pretty fast.

ridered11
04-27-2011, 09:52 PM
If you really want to cut some weight you should be aiming at around a 1200 cal. diet combined with intensive physical activity. Hight protein, low carb. High intensity, low weight. Work=results.

ben300
04-27-2011, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by ridered11
If you really want to cut some weight you should be aiming at around a 1200 cal. diet combined with intensive physical activity. Hight protein, low carb. High intensity, low weight. Work=results.

dont listen to this, because at your weight..if you only eat this many calories per day, you will basically be starving yourself and robbing yourself of the nutrition you need to have energy to exercise and do things at normal function.

its usually average, but you want to cut around 400 cal/day out of your diet for just weight loss....thats if you are already eating healthy...that'll create close to a 3500 calorie deficit, which is required to burn loose weight...

..now you can add to this by exercising, which will be taking tha deficit and adding to it the calories you are burning because your body will now be burning more calories to compensate for increased physical activity. this is activity over and above what your body has become adjusted to.

ZeroLogic
04-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by miller821
Just curious... Why Army?

And what MOS are you looking at?
Why not? I can't do the Navy because I cannot be out on a boat for months on end. I do not want to be in the Air Force simply because I know I won't score high enough on the Asvab. Army has a lot more to offer job wise than the Marines.

I have a couple MOS in mind. 12B, 19D and 11c are at the top but it also depends on my scores and what not.

Originally posted by Sjorge450R
eat white fish!!!!! and chicken!

both are extremely low in fat and high in protein. And you cook them in 100000000 different ways.

I eat a lot of chicken but I can't do fish it makes me feel like I got hit by a bus. Plus its to damn expensive!

Originally posted by fastrnrik
If you're 240 then 2% is only 4.8 pounds. Thats gravy. Are you sure they told you to lose 2% of body "weight" or body fat? Thats a different deal than just losing a few pounds. The reason I ask is because body fat is usually given in percentages, not body weight.
You are right. I'm new to this stuff, my apologizes.
He did taped me and said I either have to loose 47 pounds or loose 2 percent of body fat. There is no way in hell i can loose that much pounds in three to four weeks so the fat looked a lot more easier. I usually "hibernate" during the winter then by April/May I loose it all quick because of my job.

I went to a gym today (Planet Fitness). I told them my story and they said it will be about 50 bucks a month. I figure I'm better off that route because it has been raining non stop here for about a month and a half with a few nice days. If I do the gym I can go run and work out whenever I please.

I went to take the Asvab on Tuesday but it was canceled and no one seemed to inform my recruiter so I should be taking it this Tuesday. Then I find out when I go to MEPS and all that jazz.

ben300
04-27-2011, 10:06 PM
also, your diet...if your eating truly healthy should be a combination like 40, 35, 30......or 45, 35, 20....that is a protein, carb, fat ratio in percentage....you nead to eat clean carbs, like whole grains, leafy veg's, and healty fruits....and you could honestly up your protein intake..

if your physically active, your protein intake should be at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. most people do not get enough protein. this wil help you increase strength, increase recovery and leanness, and make you feel fuller when eating.

ben300
04-27-2011, 10:06 PM
also, your diet...if your eating truly healthy should be a combination like 40, 35, 30......or 45, 35, 20....that is a protein, carb, fat ratio in percentage....you nead to eat clean carbs, like whole grains, leafy veg's, and healty fruits....and you could honestly up your protein intake..

if your physically active, your protein intake should be at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. most people do not get enough protein. this wil help you increase strength, increase recovery and leanness, and make you feel fuller when eating.

ZeroLogic
04-27-2011, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by ben300
dont listen to this, because at your weight..if you only eat this many calories per day, you will basically be starving yourself and robbing yourself of the nutrition you need to have energy to exercise and do things at normal function.

its usually average, but you want to cut around 400 cal/day out of your diet for just weight loss....thats if you are already eating healthy...that'll create close to a 3500 calorie deficit, which is required to burn loose weight...

..now you can add to this by exercising, which will be taking tha deficit and adding to it the calories you are burning because your body will now be burning more calories to compensate for increased physical activity. this is activity over and above what your body has become adjusted to.

I tried cutting my cals down to around 1200 but I could not do it. I had no energy. But I did cut out a lot of the bad food (fried, candy, high cals and fat food ect ect) I also been cutting my meals in almost half. It has been working and I'm just hoping if I go to the gym three to four times a week it will get the results I need.

Doober
04-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Do neck exercise's. The bigger your neck is the lower the body fat percentage on how they do the tape.

Aarons 01 400EX
04-27-2011, 11:47 PM
12B- Combat Engineer
19D- Cav Scout
11C-Mortars

Why are you joining? College money or making a career?

ben300
04-28-2011, 06:57 AM
I tried cutting my cals down to around 1200 but I could not do it. I had no energy. But I did cut out a lot of the bad food (fried, candy, high cals and fat food ect ect) I also been cutting my meals in almost half. It has been working and I'm just hoping if I go to the gym three to four times a week it will get the results I need.

ya, 1200 cals may work for someone who is 130 pounds and 5'4", but your a bigger guy and that'll just suck you dead eating that little..

you seem like your on the right track. Remember too, if your doing any weight training, and your trying to loose weight, the results may be deceiving because you will be loosing fat, but at the same time, your muscle size will be growing, thus you will not loose as much weight when you steop on the scale...

my recomendation would be if your gonna add weight lifing, do it as low weight, high rep, low rest periods, and then follow that up with some really high intesinty cardio. I would also do no less than 30 minutes of cardio per day. Thats kind of where most average peoples boddies start to burn calories enough to loose weight. Anythign and above that will not only burn extra calories, but will add to your cardiovascular endurance..

...for myself...beyond the 3-7 miles i run a day, i feel that the best form of cardio i do to keep lean, is to do really high intesity interval training...ill run 2 miles at 80% of my max or 5k pace, and then do 10-20(depending on how i feel) mins on the eliptical, trying to keep my heart rate above 165 bpms, and hten ill throw in another mile or hit the rowing machine, what ever floats my boat per day.

ridered11
04-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Its all about what you're used to. I'm 5'11 and right now about 174-177. When i'm cutting weight I aim at right around 1200. It sucks at first but once you get into a routine results come pretty quickly.

In season I bulk back up to about 185ish

ben300
04-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Its all about what you're used to. I'm 5'11 and right now about 174-177. When i'm cutting weight I aim at right around 1200. It sucks at first but once you get into a routine results come pretty quickly.

I agree it is what your used to, but he's 240 #'s not 170....the average diet which the FDA approves is 2400 calores a day for a person that is 5'10' and 160ish pounds....if he cuts to 1200 calories, he'll be a walking zombie..hteirs a difference between cutting calories and being slightly sluggish and adjusting to it because you are already a lower body weight, than there is being a fairly decent size human being and cuttign down to that...he'll have no energy to make it through the day..

the best way to do it is eat a healthy diet for a few days, and count the colories of the food you eat to find out what your caloric intake is to be comfortable, and then reduce that by 400-600 calories a day for six days a week. when you add intense exercise to this, you could burnup to an extra 1000 calories a day...thats 9600 calories a week, which roughly 2.75 pounds of weight/fat/musle per week....could be more, depending on your cardiovascular condition, and body fat percentage...

ben300
04-28-2011, 12:20 PM

im 5'9", 168#, 10% body fat and if i ate 1200 a day...id feel like ****

ridered11
04-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Yeah, I guess i'm just used to it. I also leave that extra room in there for all the beer i'll end up drinking that night LOL.

Its crazy how things add up when you count calories.

OldGuyonaQuad
04-28-2011, 03:41 PM
IN 2003 I was approaching 300 lbs. I lost 100lbs in less then 6 months. The first 4 months and 80lbs were shear torture and I starved myself and ran my bicycle into the ground. The last 2 months and 20lbs were e z. When speaking to a friend she asked me what foods I missed the most, I said that's easy I miss cheese and peanut butter. she said you can have both on the South Beach Diet. I bought the book and the rest was history. Even if you don't use this method to lose wegiht it's still a good read it will give you an education on how your body breaks down different foods.

I think high protien and low carb is the way to go, cool thing about this diet is you cut down on the starches and double up on the protiens. so take the big piece of steak and the small potato. Just keep an eye on your colestoral.

Soft drinks can be a killer even if it's coke zero. Don't eat anything after 8pm if possible.

The best piece of advice I can give you is to eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a queen and dinner like a pauper. Cliche maybe but it's true. I found that breakfast is for the most part a free meal. I could skip breakfast or eat, with the same weight loss results so I started having something for breakfast every day.

Another option to lose this 2% would be a frontal lobotomy, chances are you won't need the gray matter anyway in the Army even if you do make it to West Point :D ;)

ben300
04-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by OldGuyonaQuad

I think high protien and low carb is the way to go, cool thing about this diet is you cut down on the starches and double up on the protiens. so take the big piece of steak and the small potato. Just keep an eye on your colestoral.

Soft drinks can be a killer even if it's coke zero. Don't eat anything after 8pm if possible.

The best piece of advice I can give you is to eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a queen and dinner like a pauper. Cliche maybe but it's true. I found that breakfast is for the most part a free meal. I could skip breakfast or eat, with the same weight loss results so I started having something for breakfast every day.

Another option to lose this 2% would be a frontal lobotomy, chances are you won't need the gray matter anyway in the Army even if you do make it to West Point :D ;)

this is all great points, however, in the long run, i really high protein compared to low carb diet will eventually be very bad for your heart and arteries. this has been some of the hard criticism of the atkins diet is that people who follow that diet end up having high blood pressure, cholesterol problems, among other things.

i would agree though that if you are tryign to loose weight over like 3 month period, if you have the weight to loose which in your case you did, by cutting out a vast majority of your carbs is a viable way to do it..you just have to watch once you start adding carbs back in

you will see alot of performance/endurance athletes eat a protein/carb/fat ratio of 40/40/20.....what makes it work fo rhtem is htey eat whole grains and a vast majority of their carbs comes from low sugar/high fiber vegetables and leafy green.

oh ya...if your trying to loose weight..switch to diet drinks...ASAP

ZeroLogic
04-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Lots of great info here thank you! I really only drink water, and lots of it. And a glass of ice tea for dinner. I am eating a bowl of cereal, oatmeal, or cream of wheat for breakfast. Skip lunch or have a piece of fruit. For dinner I have meat (chicken, steak, hamburger, ham, and sausages). Along with a big helping of a veggie. (spinach, broccoli, corn, green beans, or cauliflower.) And a little bit of starches (potatoes, french fries ect ect.)

Now when you say the ratio of 40,40,20 what exactly do you mean?

I'm going to head up to the gym tomorrow night if I work tomorrow. (I'm broke:p) I'm going to mainly focus on running and push ups. What do you think?

ben300
04-28-2011, 05:46 PM
Lots of great info here thank you! I really only drink water, and lots of it. And a glass of ice tea for dinner. I am eating a bowl of cereal, oatmeal, or cream of wheat for breakfast. Skip lunch or have a piece of fruit. For dinner I have meat (chicken, steak, hamburger, ham, and sausages). Along with a big helping of a veggie. (spinach, broccoli, corn, green beans, or cauliflower.) And a little bit of starches (potatoes, french fries ect ect.)

Now when you say the ratio of 40,40,20 what exactly do you mean?

I'm going to head up to the gym tomorrow night if I work tomorrow. (I'm broke:p) I'm going to mainly focus on running and push ups. What do you think?

what i mean by that is you would eat 40% of your diet is protein, 40% is carbs, and 20% is fats...and htis would be percentiles of your daily caloric intake

miller821
04-28-2011, 06:04 PM
Why not? I can't do the Navy because I cannot be out on a boat for months on end. I do not want to be in the Air Force simply because I know I won't score high enough on the Asvab. Army has a lot more to offer job wise than the Marines.

I have a couple MOS in mind. 12B, 19D and 11c are at the top but it also depends on my scores and what not.

Was just curious... Don't let the ASVAB score's deter you from AF, if that's your only reason... Good luck though, you'll enjoy it!

ZeroLogic
04-28-2011, 06:58 PM
what i mean by that is you would eat 40% of your diet is protein, 40% is carbs, and 20% is fats...and htis would be percentiles of your daily caloric intake
Alright I really appreciate all your help.:macho

Originally posted by Aarons 01 400EX
12B- Combat Engineer
19D- Cav Scout
11C-Mortars

Why are you joining? College money or making a career?
Somewhat both. If I really do enjoy it I'll make it into a career, if not I'll do my time and go to college for free. Its something I've wanted to do for a long time and since work has been dead on its *** I figure this would be the best time.

Was just curious... Don't let the ASVAB score's deter you from AF, if that's your only reason... Good luck though, you'll enjoy it!
The AF don't really offer any jobs that I would love. Just for some reason I always been pro Army also. Thank you though I hope I do like it! Are you in a branch?

Aarons 01 400EX
04-28-2011, 11:21 PM
I'm a 13F veteran. Life is hard in the combat field. Humping 80-100lb rucks for miles when you aren't mobilized sucks. Go in the combat field, get some rank, and then switch to something a little easier on the body.

I did o-j-t for 96B and had i stayed in, i would of switched to that mos.

Aarons 01 400EX
04-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by OldGuyonaQuad
Don't eat anything after 8pm if possible.

Most dietician will tell you it doesn't matter when you eat, it is the quality of food you eat. Your biggest meal should always be breakfast though.

ben300
04-29-2011, 07:14 AM
Most dietician will tell you it doesn't matter when you eat, it is the quality of food you eat. Your biggest meal should always be breakfast though.

agree'd...

the whole dont eat after 8 is a crock of **** and only works if your a fat ****ing **** bag like opra who already has a hard time putting down the fork and not making a second trip for cookies at the buffet line....

if your doing somethign like trying to build serious lean muscle...you need to eat, get nutrients, and spread your meals out through out the day...4-6 equally proportioned (size and calorie wise...400-600 cals depeding on what your fitness goal is and how big of a human being you are), every 4-6 hous....pro body builders will wake up in the middle of the night or at odd hours at night to eat meals that they have prepared ahead of time..

when you go longer than 6 hours without eating what your body needs, your body will go into a catatonic state where it will start to digest muscle in order to get its nutrients....this can inhibit your weightloss progress, because your body doesnt get enough nutrients to repair what damage you have done during physical activity....

..thsi is why people are always extremely hungry when they wake up in the morning...because they ahve gone long enough that they have digested all their food and their body has started finding other sources of nutrients....this is why they always say eat your biggest meal for breakfast...you body needs themost nutrients after you wake up and after workign out..so breakfast is the most essential meal of the day forsay...you should eat a decent size breakfast wtih a good source of protein......nto jsut a bowl of cereal...
..also, this is why they say get up and run or do some kind of activity in the morning before you eat....studies have shown that people who exercise as soon as they get up in the morning, bfore having breakfast, will burn 30% more calories during the day nanturally, than they would have otherwise..

honestly, if your really serious about this, i would put some serious thought into becoming a member on bodybuilding.com's forums, or runnersworld.com's forums, or both...both these sights are jsut absolutely packed with information on any subject of being healthy that you could possibly want to research, and there are thousands of peole who post on those websites that are real "been there, done that, succeeded" people who are way more knowledgable than anything you are gonna get here. i used to read everythign i possibly could from bodybuilding.com back in high school and then joined there forum and honestly learned a ton more just from the discussions from experienced people on there.

honda250xman
04-29-2011, 08:20 AM
Since you all are on the topic of eating a good breakfast, what would a good breakfast consist of? Like what should you be eating for breakfast while trying to get in shape and/or lose weight?

Aarons 01 400EX
04-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Oatmeal

ben300
04-29-2011, 09:33 AM
Oatmeal

While oatmeal is a very good source of non starchy carbs and fiber, it doesn't provide you with all the fuel you need for a day.

At breakfast, you need protein (see my above post about catatonic state). The best way to get protein for breakfats is either taking a protein shake or eating eggs. Egg protein and whey protein is the only protein your body can absorb 100% off. Try eating a cooked combination of two whole eggs and 3 egg white for breakfast. Should provide you between 21-24 grams of protein and is only around 170 calories totall depending on the size of the egg.

There was a study done by I can't remember if it was Nebraska or U of Oklahoma, but football players who ate 3 whole eggs for breakfast everyday versus players who didn't, put on something like 20% more lean muscle throughout off season workouts

Aarons 01 400EX
04-29-2011, 01:57 PM
And their cholesterol increased from eating yolks. I'd suggest a protein bar/shake over eating 6 egg whites though. But you have to watch out for the sugar.

I'm going to disagree with the catatonic state while sleeping. It takes long periods of time with zero movement to get there. Most people sleep 6-8 hours and move during sleep. I think you mean catabolic state. :)

Warnerade
04-29-2011, 02:09 PM
Most dietician will tell you it doesn't matter when you eat, it is the quality of food you eat. Your biggest meal should always be breakfast though. Most dieticians are also morons that do not know anything more than the kid working in the food section at wal-mart. You should not eat late at night if you are actually trying to lose weight and do it right. However, if you are trying to lose strictly body fat, you're body will need something before you go to bed, otherwise it will just use muscle for energy. Drink a casein protein shake with skim milk before you go to bed...the casein protein is a slow digesting protein along with the milk. It will feed your body throughout the night while minimizing the amount that is store. You are not active when you sleep...your body does not need much to get through the night.

DnB_racing
04-29-2011, 02:10 PM
While oatmeal is a very good source of non starchy carbs and fiber, it doesn't provide you with all the fuel you need for a day.

At breakfast, you need protein (see my above post about catatonic state). The best way to get protein for breakfats is either taking a protein shake or eating eggs. Egg protein and whey protein is the only protein your body can absorb 100% off. Try eating a cooked combination of two whole eggs and 3 egg white for breakfast. Should provide you between 21-24 grams of protein and is only around 170 calories totall depending on the size of the egg.

There was a study done by I can't remember if it was Nebraska or U of Oklahoma, but football players who ate 3 whole eggs for breakfast everyday versus players who didn't, put on something like 20% more lean muscle throughout off season workouts hes not really looking to put on muscle mass at this time as much as he looking to cut weight, yes I agree totally with what your saying about eating at the right times and the proper foods,to maintain a healthy lean muscle mass, but to cut 45lbs is going to be hard if he doesn't cut calories and stop salts and fats,at the point he is at with very limited time left he is going to have to seriously cut calories, almost to a unhealthy amount, there is no real way to loose that much in this short of a time, that is going to be healthy!

ben300
04-29-2011, 02:14 PM
And their cholesterol increased from eating yolks. I'd suggest a protein bar/shake over eating 6 egg whites though. But you have to watch out for the sugar.

I'm going to disagree with the catatonic state while sleeping. It takes long periods of time with zero movement to get there. Most people sleep 6-8 hours and move during sleep. I think you mean catabolic state. :)

i stand corrected. your right, i ment catabolic, but my lazy *** was to lazy to look it up...

..but i didnt say eat 6 whole eggs a day..thats way to much cholesterol...the average person, if doing at least 30 mins of intense exercise daily...can eat up to four whole eggs a day and be find. Now i say aveage, because if have bad cholesterol probloems, then you should limit yourself to only two eggs total..but you can eat as many egg whites as you want. i mean AS MANY. its jsut pure protein and contains next to no cholesterol.

protein bars are great sources of protein, but have ou ever actually looked at them. there is actaually a decent ammount of cholesterol, fats, and sodium in a protein bar....there good if you need a meal replacement, but i would not make them a staple in your daily diet....not to mention there as expensive as ****, and if you eat enouhg of them, your ****, and farts become more radioactive than northern japan....trust me..i used to be huge into weight lifting and i ate a ton of them. i could fart adn clear out a walmart if i wanted.

also....protein shakes like optimum nutrition 100%, which according to gnc and bodybuilding.com, is the most purchased whey protein out tere...for one serving has 24 grams of protein, 110 calories, 1 gram of fat, and like next to no sugar at all..and the stuff tastes pretty good as well.

miller821
04-29-2011, 03:12 PM
The AF don't really offer any jobs that I would love. Just for some reason I always been pro Army also. Thank you though I hope I do like it! Are you in a branch?

I'm in the AF... Only been in 4 months, but i'm liking it so far...

Keep us updated on how it goes.

feuerstack411
04-29-2011, 04:32 PM
I don't know how I missed this thread. I was in the same situation.

Me and extremeblaster leave for basic at Ft Leonard wood in a few weeks. I signed as a 14T

But all I did to cut weight was stop drinking soda and crap like that, basically all I drink is water. It makes no sense to drink something with a lot of calories in it. (alchohol gets an obvious pass on this rule :chinese: )
And I stopped eating crap food. All I really eat is chicken and salad. I will only eat salad with vinegar as dressing too, it's like 1 calorie or so.
Stay away from anything high in sodium too. And of course run, run and more running.

I also started to take Animal Cuts again which helped.

When I went to MEPs I was 224 or so and RIGHT at the 26% point. I had a weigh in yesterday and I was at 20%.

BTW MEPs absolutely SUCKS try to only have to go once haha

feuerstack411
04-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Doober
Do neck exercise's. The bigger your neck is the lower the body fat percentage on how they do the tape.

This. Also when you're getting taped, make sure you're actually standing up as straight as possible/ boderline sucking in

ZeroLogic
04-30-2011, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the information guys. Like stated above, I got the muscle just a layer of fat in front of it. I'm going to start going to the gym more. I have been loosing some fat from my stomach just by eating better plus I've been working and keeping active.

Originally posted by feuerstack411
I don't know how I missed this thread. I was in the same situation.

Me and extremeblaster leave for basic at Ft Leonard wood in a few weeks. I signed as a 14T

But all I did to cut weight was stop drinking soda and crap like that, basically all I drink is water. It makes no sense to drink something with a lot of calories in it. (alchohol gets an obvious pass on this rule :chinese: )
And I stopped eating crap food. All I really eat is chicken and salad. I will only eat salad with vinegar as dressing too, it's like 1 calorie or so.
Stay away from anything high in sodium too. And of course run, run and more running.

I also started to take Animal Cuts again which helped.

When I went to MEPs I was 224 or so and RIGHT at the 26% point. I had a weigh in yesterday and I was at 20%.

BTW MEPs absolutely SUCKS try to only have to go once haha

Originally posted by feuerstack411
This. Also when you're getting taped, make sure you're actually standing up as straight as possible/ boderline sucking in

I talked to extremeblaster because I was in the same situation he was in. I heard horror stories about meps. Not really looking forward to that. :p I have to take the ASVAB Tuesday night, (it was canceled last Tuesday) When do you leave for basic?

I'm in the AF... Only been in 4 months, but i'm liking it so far...

Keep us updated on how it goes.
Nice man, where did you go to basic at? My old high school buddy just graduated from basic for the AF I think he went to a base in Texas.

miller821
04-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Nice man, where did you go to basic at? My old high school buddy just graduated from basic for the AF I think he went to a base in Texas.

BMT for us is in San Antonio (Lackland AFB), i'm currently only about 3 hours away from there going through the DOD Fire Academy in Goodfellow AFB.

feuerstack411
04-30-2011, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the information guys. Like stated above, I got the muscle just a layer of fat in front of it. I'm going to start going to the gym more. I have been loosing some fat from my stomach just by eating better plus I've been working and keeping active.

I talked to extremeblaster because I was in the same situation he was in. I heard horror stories about meps. Not really looking forward to that. :p I have to take the ASVAB Tuesday night, (it was canceled last Tuesday) When do you leave for basic?

I leave to Ft Lwood May 23rd, then off to FT Sill in Oklahoma for AIT. I seriously can't wait haha. Are you taking the asvab at MEPs or separately? I got lucky and was able to take it a few weeks before I went to MEPs so I was able to have a reservation for a MOS before I even went to MEPs, which is nice.
In all honestly, MEPs isn't that bad but it still sucks haha. I almost had to stay a 3rd day because I didn't have to pee, so I couldn't pee in the cup, took me like 3 hours -____- haha