PDA

View Full Version : Rear swingarm/axle

Minndave13
04-25-2011, 11:17 PM
I thought I have seen on here somewhere, but I am having a problem keeping my rear axle tight. I am very hard on the throttle and about half way through the day I am getting horrible chain slap from the rear axle carrier getting loose. I thought I had seen that someone posted that there should not be any chain lube one the carrier bolts. The problem I am having is that the bolts are to tight before they even come into contact with the swingarm. Tonight I was trying to tighten the carrier bolts. I was using a long cheater bar on a 17mm wrench. The bolt is so tight that I am afraid of breaking the bolt. The problem is that I still can turn the washer that is one the bolt. I am wondering if at this time of what I should do? Should I try some WD40?

cataway
04-27-2011, 03:42 AM
sounds like its time for new bolts

Minndave13
04-27-2011, 10:09 PM
Cataway. I agreed with you. I got two bolts that were giving me trouble and a tap. I was able to get one out, I tapped it out to freshin up the treads, and replaced the bolt. Trying to get the other bolt out-snap- broke it I did. Now my choice- do I replace the bottom nut carrier with two nuts, do I replace the carrier (10.68 +s&h) or do I try to drill out and retap the original nut. Choices choices. I already bought the replacement bolt and nuts but I am leaning towards drilling out and retapping the original carrier. Thoughts? Oh by the way to others. Learn from my mistake and put anti seize on these bolts to avoid future frustration.:(

cataway
04-28-2011, 02:59 AM
10.68 +s&h is the price of convenience, do you mind getting another wrench out any time you want to adjust the chain?

myself it spent the money, ya i snaped one off to

Minndave13
04-29-2011, 08:27 PM
Took the nut carrier into my local college where the head instructor is a friend and also in the local club. He drilled out the old bolt and I retapped the nut. Now everything is back together and I was able to go for my first ride. Everything is working good. I was able to go for enough of a ride that now I can recheck my work and make sure everything is good to go. Hopefully on Saturday I can get everything checked out and then be able to go for a good ride on Sunday when our trails open up. It's supposed to get up to 70 degrees so it would be a nice day to go for a ride.:D