PDA

View Full Version : 2008 ktm 525 maintenace and review

89rebel
04-25-2011, 04:30 PM
looking at a 525xc for $4900. Nice shape and all stock. How is maintenace and give a review of your experiance as an owner. I already know they rock and are great performance quads but are there any issues on the '08 model and what should be fixed on them by KTM. should i consider a differant model yr?

reckless86r
05-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Check out KTMATVHQ.COM tons of info on these quads. Just do a search. I have a 525xc and maitance is easy. A few things to look out for but nothing huge. Very reliable machine with tons of power

IdahoMX
05-04-2011, 06:53 PM
I bought mine new in 11 but it was a 08. Had a few curve balls in the begining but worked out the bugs and so far the last 4 outings have been great and trouble free. For a stock quad these flat out rock but they do have room for improvement in a couple areas. Nothing major but given the other quads problems Ill take the ones that come with KTM. The XC has a proven motor on a bullet proof frame while having the lightest weight of all of them. The SX motor has some growing pains so I would stay away if possible.

IdahoMX
05-04-2011, 06:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNCSm_IrPnE

89rebel
05-04-2011, 08:57 PM
i was going to just buy a new left over '08 but like you said there are some bugs to work out. I decided id rather buy a used raptor for reliability reason and have 2 quads so im also looking for a clean used ktm 450 or 525. Ive located one but the guys being a pain in my ers about price. I know 1st year models all have their quirks so i was hoping for a '09-10 model but my local dealer only had an '08 which is fine but i dont need to break down on the trails I ride on, that sucks! been there done that. I've really looked into these KTm's and would love to try one and cant wait till Im part of the familia

reckless86r
05-04-2011, 09:09 PM
F the raptor, go with the KTM 08 or not there will be NO DISAPPOINTMENTS. The few things that need to be looked after are detailed at KTMATVHQ.COM. I've had my 08 since sept. of 09 and had ZERO problems.

89rebel
05-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by IdahoMX
I bought mine new in 11 but it was a 08. Had a few curve balls in the begining but worked out the bugs and so far the last 4 outings have been great and trouble free. For a stock quad these flat out rock but they do have room for improvement in a couple areas. Nothing major but given the other quads problems Ill take the ones that come with KTM. The XC has a proven motor on a bullet proof frame while having the lightest weight of all of them. The SX motor has some growing pains so I would stay away if possible. What kinds of issue's came up?

IdahoMX
05-05-2011, 08:19 PM
A few loose bolts, And somr carb settings. Nothing major but with all new stuff there is bound to be some bugs worked out

89rebel
05-05-2011, 08:41 PM
so far what i've read is to loctite the shifter bolt, tape the axle nut or at least loctite that also. use dielectric grease on all electrical connections. If the idle is set too high it wont start. jetting might be off and needs adjustment. these issues dont scare me at all, simple in fact. i just want to make sure the nearest dealer knows their **** in case of a serious problem.

reckless86r
05-05-2011, 08:47 PM
You might be out of luck there, I took mine in for the first valve adjustment and the dealership near me ****ed up the threads on the oil plug along with a bunch of miscommunications. I'll do all work on mine own from now on and if I cant handle it, the motor goes to Travis at Thumper Racing

89rebel
05-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Thats sucks! I have no problem working on my own machines but i would like an experianced person to show me at least 1 time what to look out for and how to fix a few things.