PDA

View Full Version : financial aid??

ryansblaster
04-25-2011, 02:49 PM
I am currently living with my parents and graduating high school may 27 and for the last two years my dad and I have not gotten along at all so I am thinking about moving out But I'm not sure I will be able to afford it. I have talked about it with my mom and she said if I live on my own I will get enough money from financial aid that I should be able to afford it. Does anybody know anything about this?

CJM
04-25-2011, 02:57 PM
Friend of mines daughter has state aid. Its ok, believe me its not as nice as you think. She gets more because she has 2 kids out of wedlock, holds a cruddy part time job and has no other real skills. Its been years since she moved out and she still has gotten nowhere and still needs her parents help-alot.

I would strongly reconsider moving out, it may seem bad at home-but once your out on your own it is nowhere near as easy. The avg apartment (assuming you get no assistance) is easy 650+ a month in most areas, and usually thats for an utter crap hole you wouldnt want to go near.

Do you have a good job where you earn 500+ dollars a week? Do you realize there are hidden expenses like paying utility bills, food, etc?

Unless your dad is beating you I wouldnt go.

Tommy Warren
04-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by ryansblaster
I am currently living with my parents and graduating high school may 27 and for the last two years my dad and I have not gotten along at all so I am thinking about moving out But I'm not sure I will be able to afford it. I have talked about it with my mom and she said if I live on my own I will get enough money from financial aid that I should be able to afford it. Does anybody know anything about this?

your just graduating high school....at this point in your life you should be having fun. get a part time job over the summer go to parties keep yourself busy and stay away from your father. I moved out before I finished high school and I had to work my *** off ever since. I finally have my own place and 4 vehicles along with some toys but its not easy to get this stuff. After I moved out the fun was over. it seems fun to have your own place in theory but once the bills start piling up you youth is sucked out of you and the man takes control of your life......wish I could go back home......my stress lever would be cut in half

Rich250RRacer
04-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Friend of mines daughter has state aid. Its ok, believe me its not as nice as you think. She gets more because she has 2 kids out of wedlock, holds a cruddy part time job and has no other real skills. Its been years since she moved out and she still has gotten nowhere and still needs her parents help-alot.

I would strongly reconsider moving out, it may seem bad at home-but once your out on your own it is nowhere near as easy. The avg apartment (assuming you get no assistance) is easy 650+ a month in most areas, and usually thats for an utter crap hole you wouldnt want to go near.

Do you have a good job where you earn 500+ dollars a week? Do you realize there are hidden expenses like paying utility bills, food, etc?

I think he may be talking about financial aid for college, which just might cover living expenses as well as tuition.

miller821
04-25-2011, 04:53 PM
Where at in Illinois are you from?

What exactly are the issues between your dad and you?

Moving out is a big step... Like said a lot of expenses... Try doing college full time and working full time at a job that lands you roughly $240 a week. Say bye-bye to toys and fun.

miller821
04-25-2011, 04:53 PM
By the way, are you going to college? What's your plans even after high school?

fasterblaster09
04-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Im sure you know, financial aid goes off of what your parents make, until you are 25 years old. Chances are, you won't have enough, becasue they go off of your parents income because they feel as though they are still supporting you. I would stay at home. This is the 3rd day in my and my fiance's old house we are renting, and I will be working full time (mind you I am not makig but 400/week since I am stuck with a ****ty job until I turn 21), and I will barely cover my bills after it's all said and done. No fun, no money, eating ramen noodles 3 meals a day. you decide

buck440
04-25-2011, 05:35 PM
join the military:macho

ryansblaster
04-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
your just graduating high school....at this point in your life you should be having fun. get a part time job over the summer go to parties keep yourself busy and stay away from your father.

This is exactly why I want to move out. I am 18 and not allowed to go ANYWHERE without telling them where I go and even then they call every 15 minuites to see if i'm really where I said I was going and they never let me stay out past 10.

CJM
04-25-2011, 08:09 PM
This is exactly why I want to move out. I am 18 and not allowed to go ANYWHERE without telling them where I go and even then they call every 15 minuites to see if i'm really where I said I was going and they never let me stay out past 10.

Welcome to life, my parents were also strict and relaxed eventually.

Like I said-gonna be really tough if you leave. try it, you'll find out.

derekhonda
04-25-2011, 09:55 PM

Is that really your argument? Sounds like you have parents that care.

Go tell Jerome down on the street corner that never knew his dad and
his mom he never sees how bad your parents are.

And yeah, as far as financial aid, it goes off of what they make AND what you make. So you leave the house and pull a terrible 12 grand a year job, they make 50...wala, you "guys" make 62K...and then you don't qualify for financial aid.

Two ways around that, some sort of adult emancipation or getting married...and good luck with either option.

Stick it out...I remember how smart I thought I was at 18.

Aarons 01 400EX
04-25-2011, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by buck440
join the military:macho

That's what I did....

Tommy Warren
04-25-2011, 10:21 PM
I'd be happy if I was in your situation...I was 14 I'd take off to hang out with some friends get drunk and not come home for 4 or 5 days...when I get home my parents didn't even ask where I was... my friend got 1000 bucks for a dirtbike we spent it all on booze and food, took a tent to a river way back in the woods and camped for 2 weeks. I got home and my dad told me to mow the lawn:ermm:

slightlybent47
04-25-2011, 11:53 PM
It looks like it 100% stick it out, and that’s my advice as well. You have to give the parents a chance to let go of you, in the same way you have to learn to do for yourself.
Having to live with there rules is hard at times when you want independence, we all go through that. It will be much easer to just go along with the program then having to deal with life on your own.
They will slack up and give you more room as time goes by, just stick with it.

Oh! And if you think the roles are strict now just wait till you join the military!lol

ALAMX37
04-26-2011, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by CJM

This is not good advice. I am guessing you didnt do it this way. Everyone should leave after high school, god knows your parents put in there time. Its time to be a man and make this world your own. The gave you everything you were owed and no its your turn to man up and get after it. Living on your own is very rewarding but also tough. Living with a roomate cuts cost a good bit. Best of luck to you guy, I say go for it. IF you live on your own, your almost guranteed aid.

CJM
04-26-2011, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by ALAMX37
This is not good advice. I am guessing you didnt do it this way. Everyone should leave after high school, god knows your parents put in there time. Its time to be a man and make this world your own. The gave you everything you were owed and no its your turn to man up and get after it. Living on your own is very rewarding but also tough. Living with a roomate cuts cost a good bit. Best of luck to you guy, I say go for it. IF you live on your own, your almost guranteed aid.

Have you lived with this aid before-unless you have or know someone personally who has you would be agreeing with me.

Do you know what the assistance gets you? Run down, disgusting cheap apartments in very bad areas are what you get if you apply for one-NO ONE wants to rent there apt to the state basically except those crapholes. Assistance isnt gonna pay for everything either-nowhere close to it unless your a single mom with kids-then the rules change.

Ive been out before:
Never trust a room mate, even if they are a friend. They will screw you over 9x out of 10. "Oh the rent, yea Ill be short can you spot me?" That becoems all to regular, Ive been there and sometimes it works out-alot of time it doesnt.

The landlord doe care if your short rent and may evict you later on b.c of things like that

Costs of living are insane, food alone per week for 1 person is at least 25 bucks unless your eating cereal for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Unless your making at least 15/hr or working 2 jobs your not gonna be able to afford much of anything except that crap hole. Rents easily 500+ dollars for a 1 bedroom efficiency. Factor in utilities, food, other bills-your not gonna have any money left if you can afford it.

Living on your own these days is near impossible with the costs of everything and the very low wages most earn. When i was 18 I was making 12/hr and thats pretty good money-it was impossible to find anything very good to rent to you b/c you have no real credit, no real references, and you dont make much money-so the only people who take you are people who have crap hole apts.

Dont believe me-go try it for awhile. Want to move out at 18-join the military where they have more strict rules but support you.

buck440
04-26-2011, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by ALAMX37

this is the worst advice ever! we shouldn't be trying get kids government aid when they don't need it. idk how old the op is but he's probably just rebelling and thinks he hates his parent/parents. we all ben through it. lets give advice to get him through it not out of it. damn guys.

ryansblaster
04-26-2011, 01:58 PM
I am not talking about welfare or whatever you think I'm talking about. I am talking about to pay for school. and I wouldnt move out until I have a nice savings so probably after this summer

CJM
04-26-2011, 02:18 PM
I am not talking about welfare or whatever you think I'm talking about. I am talking about to pay for school. and I wouldnt move out until I have a nice savings so probably after this summer

Good luck then, its based on how much your parents make b/c your a dependent-which means you wont get much.

ryansblaster
04-26-2011, 02:51 PM
If I move out I will not be a dependent

buck440
04-26-2011, 04:25 PM
oooohhhhhhhhh that's some big info left out lol. yah, you need to be living with your parents to get the most out of it...which still isn't much. i believe you can move out anytime after you get it though, that's how i did it.

derekhonda
04-26-2011, 10:11 PM
If I move out I will not be a dependent

Unless something has changed, you may not be a "tax dependent," but for FAFSA (your school aid) you are a "dependent" until you are 25, married, or go through the emancipation process i described. Do your homework. Again, I don't know what they make, if they make 20,000 a year, probably wont affect you. If they make $75,000...it will. Get on good terms with your parents man, families stick together and it doesn't sound like they are doing anything too horrible to you.

wilkin250r
04-26-2011, 11:16 PM
Plus, you can often get enough grants (free money) to cover your tuition and books, but not enough to actually live on. Like a couple thousand every semester, but after you cover your tuition costs, you're lucky to get $800. Twice a year, that's not enough to live on.

Anything beyond that is a loan, you have to pay it back. If you plan on using a loan to pay your rent, for months on end, you're going to find yourself tens of thousands of dollars in debt before you know it.

sunco
04-27-2011, 06:34 AM
Did ya mow the lawn ? :D bet you did a ****ty job :blah:

Always do your personal best - whatever it is.

Sound like your folks might be taking care of just them.

Trust is a big issue - cast doubt on yourself & that might be where your at now.

Love the ones your with

Give respect first with no expections in return

Look to God to guide you.

Any of these aren't gonna make your life peachy but just keep positive and believe in yourself

Good Luck dude.

ryansblaster
04-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by sunco
Did ya mow the lawn ? :D bet you did a ****ty job :blah:

Always do your personal best - whatever it is.

Sound like your folks might be taking care of just them.

Trust is a big issue - cast doubt on yourself & that might be where your at now.

Love the ones your with

Give respect first with no expections in return

Look to God to guide you.

Any of these aren't gonna make your life peachy but just keep positive and believe in yourself

Good Luck dude.

thanks man

My parents make almost 65k a year but my dad has had 8 or 9 surgeries when they had crappy insurance so they are still paying them off. Thats why I think I would get more if I moved out and did the adult emancipation or whatever

sunco
04-27-2011, 03:13 PM
;)

buck440
04-27-2011, 05:32 PM
i think you have to be under 18 to get emancipated i believe. your legally an adult now. if your profile age is correct.

derekhonda
04-27-2011, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by buck440
i think you have to be under 18 to get emancipated i believe. your legally an adult now. if your profile age is correct.

Ah, correct. Term is Independent.

"FAFSA is just an application, that you fill out to receive federal financial aid. You can fill that out regardless of your legal cirumstances.
If you are wanting to have yourself declared independent for the FAFSA, then that is a completely different process. The FAFSA considers you dependent until the age of 24 unless you are pregnant, married, in the army, or your parents are deceased. If a person was emancipated before they turned 18, then they might be considered independent for FAFSA purposes. However, once you're over 18 you can't be emancipated, but instead have to be declared independent. It is very hard to be declared independent and you will usually have to prove that your parents have abandoned you somehow." -Yahoo Answers