PDA

View Full Version : 400ex axle carrier ques..??

400exRacerX
12-03-2001, 07:09 PM
Hey,

I just got my lsr axle today and I heard that 400ex axle carriers go bad after a month or so.... is this true?? I just blew 400 bucks on a axle, 50 bucks on a rad posi lock nut, and don't feel like spending another 200 on a carrier. Also should I replace the axle bearings while I have the carrier out?

Thanks, Norm

12-03-2001, 09:20 PM
well if i were you id save and get the aftermarket carrier..seems like alot but i think scince you just spend all of that on an axle it would be like insurace....but you can replace your bearings with the carrier in the bike....and yea the stock bearings aren't the greatist but if you keep the pressure washer away from em then they are ok just wiggle your stok axel and if it wiggles then you need bearings...this is very confsing sorry hope you nderstand..toby

redrider ex
12-03-2001, 11:10 PM
I havent had any trouble with my carrier and my 400 is a 99
ive changed the bearings several times but no problems .:huh

400exRacerX
12-04-2001, 02:04 PM
red rider, do you have a after market axle?

trx400ex
12-04-2001, 03:46 PM
mine went out right before i bought a new axle, so i put them both in at the same time,,,it was 5 months old or so.......i bought a burgard and it is awesome, its the exact same thing as the lonestar, if it isnt the same thing, and izzy will hook you up good if you buy one...i got one with a grease zerk and dual rows

12-04-2001, 09:06 PM
I just got rid of my stock axle carrier of 3 years. I got the aftermarket tapered bearings w/grease zert. WHAT A HUGE DIFFERENCE!!! The rolling resistence is sooo minimal. I'm not saying it is a must have, but to continue replacing the stock axle bearings will cost you. The manufacture of the carrier I got (Recreation Unlimited) said a couple of shots of grease after each ride and it should last a long time. My bearings on my 300ex with aftermarket carrier (twin row) have never been replaced, it is six years now.

I enjoy assembling the axle now with the "Rad" lock, it's awesome too!:D

400MXer
12-04-2001, 09:31 PM
I've got a 2001 and my axle carrier siezed up a couple months after i bought it. So i bought an RPM twin row. then a few months after that i bought my RPM dominator. They are both great. My axle carrier is very well made. RPM is an excellent company and would highly recomend all of their products.

400exRacerX
12-05-2001, 01:41 PM
Well do you think I will be hurting my new axle if I run the stock carrier for now? Do you think I should replace just the bearings for now or leave the carrier and bearings alone? What are signs of a carrier going bad,,,,,,,,the axle wiggly? Thanks

12-05-2001, 04:56 PM
I don't think you will be hurting your axle.

I don't know what kind of riding you plan on doing over the winter, but if it justifies getting new bearings right away, this would be cheaper than the axle carriers we have listed above. Otherwise, I don't see an urgent reason to buy the stock bearings, keep riding as is and wait till you can purchase an axle carrier (why keep nickle and dimeing it by buying stock bearings when you will save in the long run by buying the aftermarket axle carrier?) Again, I think it is well worth the investment. But if you can wait, I would wait. I have not had a stock bearing fail before, I don't know what damage it may cause if any.

Note: I agree with 400EXer about PRM parts. I use them as well. I chose the Recreation Unlimited carrier due to the fact it has an external grease zert you can easily get to.:D I also feel the Recreation Unlimited carrier is of high quality.

I don't know about the "wiggly" thing.

papaw
12-05-2001, 05:31 PM
definitely replace the bearings.then start saving money for a new carrier.i've got a lsraxle and s/arm with a stock carrier....no problems....

12-06-2001, 07:32 AM
I had to use a chisle and hammer to get the axle nut loose on mine,,,destroyed the nuts but I had a sure lock axle nut from speedracing to go on it so I didn't care,,,,,,,,,,,and yes get a locking axle nut,,worth the money,,stocker will keep coming loose once you brake it loose the first time,,it has loctite on it from the factory so it's a barrel of fun to brake loose.

400exRacerX
12-06-2001, 02:09 PM
I have a pic of my lsr, very nice axle I have to say. Also I know that the axle is a maximum of +4 but how come it only came with two 1inch spacers? Is the axle 2 inches wider than stock and then two more 1 inch spacers? BTW I heard the stock axle bearings are a cramp to get out,,,,is this true?

400MXer
12-06-2001, 10:59 PM
Once i broke lock nut loose, it stayed loose, i couldn't get it tight, so i ordered a Rad Nut. haven't had a problem yet. And it's a heck of a lot cheaper than spending $200 on an anti fade nut.

Stunz
12-07-2001, 05:53 AM
What kind of wrench are you using to control the amout of torque?

I'm wondering why so many people are replacing their bearing, so often. Then I thought, well if they are using a big adjustable wrench, then they might be putting to much of a pre-load on the bearing.