PDA

View Full Version : how to correctly take out head studs

trxPOWER
04-25-2011, 12:03 PM
hey guys im wondering the right way to do this. im thinking you just clamp a vicegrip on them and turn? but i dont want to damage them. also what way will i turn to take them out? clockwise or counterclockwise. The reason i need them out is i have to used them on the new 440 big bore cylender i am getting for it. thanks for any help!

CJM
04-25-2011, 12:27 PM
Two nuts tightened into each other and then turn the bottom nut. Use vise grips and you will ruin the studs.

killer454
04-25-2011, 12:28 PM
i usually use 2 nuts with a lock washer between them and turn the nut closest to the head.

turn the nut counter clockwise to remove

400man
04-25-2011, 12:38 PM
just throwing this out there.....since your gonna be installing head studs in the cylinder, why not just go ahead and put some GT thunder hd studs in?

CJM
04-25-2011, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by 400man
just throwing this out there.....since your gonna be installing head studs in the cylinder, why not just go ahead and put some GT thunder hd studs in?

Thats probably a good idea, from the heat the stud by the exhaust will pull out first if you dont use the HD studs.

trxPOWER
04-25-2011, 02:09 PM
thanks for the help! and about the head studs, im not to worried about them pulling out, i think part of the reason they pull out is the old metal that they have to thread into is just to stressed to hold them in any longer. i mean, when you hear about the studs pulling out, its on a older (pre 04) machine that had the stock jug used for the conversion. im going to have a new jug on there so i dont think its going to be a problem.

tri5ron
04-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by trxPOWER
thanks for the help! and about the head studs, im not to worried about them pulling out, i think part of the reason they pull out is the old metal that they have to thread into is just to stressed to hold them in any longer. i mean, when you hear about the studs pulling out, its on a older (pre 04) machine that had the stock jug used for the conversion. im going to have a new jug on there so i dont think its going to be a problem. but if your wrong, you'll have a new jug with stripped out threads.
properly installed HD studs are cheap insurance.
just my .02 cents

NMills
04-25-2011, 06:36 PM
If you are gonna spend the money on new jugs and stuff... you may as well just get new studs... it only makes sense... and it may save you a lot of cents later....