PDA

View Full Version : Heinie "strait-8" sights

One_Bad_400
04-24-2011, 09:52 PM
Does anyone use Heinie "strait-8" sights on their pistol or have any experience with them. I just bought a Taurus Millennium .40S&W with these sights and havent really figured them out yet. I got the gun for mainly for self defence but like to hit targets every now and then. Do you put the front sight on the target and get the 2 dots as close as possible?

Btw. if anyone has looked into getting a new Taurus Millennium. I love mine. I seem to have smaller hands and they fit great. The first couple of generations had some problems but all the bugs have been fixed. I've ran a little over 100 rounds though mine and not a single hiccup. Have ran and mixed Nice target ammo with the cheapest stuff you can buy mixed in with personal defence ammo. when you pull the trigger on this gun, you know it will go bang.

Example. not my actual gun.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a350/dragonchildo/heinie.jpg

NacsMXer
04-25-2011, 09:34 AM
I did a quick google search, and with those sights, you put the top dot directly on top of the rear dot (forming an "8"). The bullet will go right "through" the center of the top dot. So if you were target shooting, put the top dot right on the center of the bullseye.

Sight picture on the left is how you use the Straight 8's front sight. Top dot will be right on top of the bottom though.
http://home.comcast.net/~kalish.nikova/S8sightpic.gif

slightlybent47
04-25-2011, 11:19 AM
I have a millennium pro in a 9mm but I don’t have the same sights you have. My rear sight has two dots on each side. This type of hand gun is not meant to be a target gun by any means. It is one of the safest guns out there but I hate the trigger pull on it. It works like a double action gun and only puts tension on the spring when it’s pulled all the way back. This makes it very hard to hold a good pattern. I also have a love hate relationship with the grip as well. I like it for concealment but with large hands it not the most comfortable gun to shoot. I was going to trade it in but they would only offer me $150.00 for a trade in so I guess I’ll just keep it.

One_Bad_400
04-25-2011, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
I also have a love hate relationship with the grip as well. I like it for concealment but with large hands it not the most comfortable gun to shoot.

I have small hands and it fits great. a buddy shot mine yesterday and his hands are so big when he whent to pull the trigger he dropped the mag. If i grab the grip my thumb is no where near the release.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xu_bE7g2wqM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ben300
04-25-2011, 01:29 PM
these sights are similar to how professional or competitive skeet, trap, sporting clays, and five stand shooters shoot. if you buy a good, competitive shotgun, it will have a large rear bead and small front bead that is spaced according to the guns legnth of pull and drop at comb...thsi is to ensure the shooter can put the top dot on top of the bottom dot in order to make an eight shape....as explained above...

...however, in shot gun shooting, you truly dont aim, but use this as a reference point to ensure you are anchoring yourself on the gun the same way every time to cause a consistent shot sequence...its similar to using a peep, kiser button, and a solid anchor point when shooting a bow...im not sure if this holds true to hand gun shooting, but i woudl imagine it is similar...

you could probably look up aiming itps by shooter slike todd bender, who can explain thsi much better