PDA

View Full Version : Design my audio setup! (Subs)

Sjorge450R
04-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Well. Right now I just have 4 speakers in my buick. But i really want to put some bump in the trunk.

Can someone put together a good package for me that will work together. I have a buick century so space is not an issue. I think I wanna do two tens, but Im open for ideas.

I need a box, subs, and amp. Let me know what you guys think would be a good setup for a reasonable price

ben300
04-24-2011, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge450R
Well. Right now I just have 4 speakers in my buick. But i really want to put some bump in the trunk.

Can someone put together a good package for me that will work together. I have a buick century so space is not an issue. I think I wanna do two tens, but Im open for ideas.

I need a box, subs, and amp. Let me know what you guys think would be a good setup for a reasonable price

im gonna make this quick, so that way we can save a 4 page thread..
some people are gonna come on here and tell you to buy this kicker, that jl, or that alpine...

then theres gonna be some dudes that actually build some good set ups like kickstart and yfz-fofiddy-tc, and they're gonna recommend some sundown, audioque subs and amps, or bfl 18's....which i would take any advice they give you..

ive been a huge kicker and jl fan my whole time putting systems in my vehicles, but i cant wait to graduate in two weeks and start my engineering job so i can pick myself up some audioque equipment, and actually try this ****s out

Sjorge450R
04-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by ben300
im gonna make this quick, so that way we can save a 4 page thread..
some people are gonna come on here and tell you to buy this kicker, that jl, or that alpine...

then theres gonna be some dudes that actually build some good set ups like kickstart and yfz-fofiddy-tc, and they're gonna recommend some sundown, audioque subs and amps, or bfl 18's....which i would take any advice they give you..

ive been a huge kicker and jl fan my whole time putting systems in my vehicles, but i cant wait to graduate in two weeks and start my engineering job so i can pick myself up some audioque equipment, and actually try this ****s out

kickstart will be here soon. He's who im looking for lol

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
04-24-2011, 10:55 PM
Well you're way too vague. Kick or I would need to know-

1- Are you looking for just a sub setup or an all around setup? (Mids & Highs as well?)

2- What do want out of the setup? (The "most" bass you can get for $xxx?)

3- What's your budget for EVERYTHING, wiring is almost never thought out and can get expensive. I have $350 worth of wiring in my setup and I'm not even done. However I'm running multiple batteries, etc.

4- Do you want a prefab box (sound like poo no matter what subs generally) or do you want a custom spec'd out box? I would be happy to do a full design once we figure out what setup you want, however I don't want to do it unless you're seriously going to use it. I generally spend a bit of time on them tuning to specs within your designated dimensions. I generally charge people on SMD $25 to design a box.

And I will say stuff like Kicker and what have you IS pretty decent stuff, but generally for the same price, maybe a little more you can get better "non-mainstream" audio stuff, such as Audioque. The reason KickStart and I both recommend Audioque so often is because it's some of the best bang for your buck audio currently out. You can't beat their prices and the quality they put out.

slightlybent47
04-24-2011, 11:24 PM
I know you can go with all kinds of equipment and set ups, but having had many systems in my car/truck and had them stolen. I would just go to a pawn shop and pick up a descent sub for cheap. Last time I stopped at a pawn shop they had stacks and stacks of sub boxes and with speakers and amps already built in, and they were dirt cheap and some were fairly good subs.
I run just a basic system in my truck and keep all the good stuff at home.
I only push around 200watts in the truck but I have a 10 KW system at the house!

Sjorge450R
04-24-2011, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
Well you're way too vague. Kick or I would need to know-

1- Are you looking for just a sub setup or an all around setup? (Mids & Highs as well?)Mids and Highs as well.

2- What do want out of the setup? (The "most" bass you can get for $xxx?) I dont need the most bass, I just want a good clean sounding hit.

3- What's your budget for EVERYTHING, wiring is almost never thought out and can get expensive. I have $350 worth of wiring in my setup and I'm not even done. However I'm running multiple batteries, etc. Budget is flexible

4- Do you want a prefab box (sound like poo no matter what subs generally) or do you want a custom spec'd out box? I would be happy to do a full design once we figure out what setup you want, however I don't want to do it unless you're seriously going to use it. I generally spend a bit of time on them tuning to specs within your designated dimensions. I generally charge people on SMD $25 to design a box. I would rather a prebought box just because of simplicitiy.

And I will say stuff like Kicker and what have you IS pretty decent stuff, but generally for the same price, maybe a little more you can get better "non-mainstream" audio stuff, such as Audioque. The reason KickStart and I both recommend Audioque so often is because it's some of the best bang for your buck audio currently out. You can't beat their prices and the quality they put out. I have checked them out before when you recommended them to someone. Their prices are what i was looking at doing originally.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
04-25-2011, 12:31 AM
Well if you tell me what your budget it (roughly) I'm sure KickStart or myself can get you some recommendations. I suggest just going to AudioQue.com, finding what you like in your budget and buy it. If you want 2 10's, go check out which line of subs best fits your budget then get an amp to match. Before you order tell us which ones you're looking at and we can tell you what ohm coils you need to hit 1 ohm. (Assuming you go with a 1 ohm stable amp)

Kickstarts-suck
04-25-2011, 12:49 AM
Yep budget is the biggest thing when someone ask what setup to go with.

Like YFZ said you also have to factor in all the MISC things you will need so don't forget that.

If you get bored go on youtube to kinda get an idea of what you like. I know its kinda hard to get an idea of a SOUND system over the internet and through your computer speakers but you can get an idea of what other people run.

1st that comes to mind is either 2 Sundown SA-10s on a AQ1200d or 2 AQ SDC2.5 10s on a AQ1200D.

Oh almost forgot. Are you good at wood working? Can you build your own box?

Zakradu398
04-25-2011, 10:06 AM
2 dc lvl 4 10s with an audioque 2200

Sjorge450R
04-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck
Yep budget is the biggest thing when someone ask what setup to go with.

Like YFZ said you also have to factor in all the MISC things you will need so don't forget that.

If you get bored go on youtube to kinda get an idea of what you like. I know its kinda hard to get an idea of a SOUND system over the internet and through your computer speakers but you can get an idea of what other people run.

1st that comes to mind is either 2 Sundown SA-10s on a AQ1200d or 2 AQ SDC2.5 10s on a AQ1200D.

Oh almost forgot. Are you good at wood working? Can you build your own box?

Like i said my budget is flexible, but this is my first sub setup, so im not exactly sure what its going to cost.

As far as wood working, I could make my own box if I had directions. I would like to keep the price as low as possible, but i would rather pay a little more and have a nice setup in the end. I plan on moving this setup to another car once I sell, so I dont mind paying a little more now.

Zakradu398
04-26-2011, 05:12 PM
If money is not an issue either I would do 2 Treo SSX 12s on a sundown SAZ4500 amp. That would smash and easily get you to 150dbs

That would be a lot of money though, plus factor in about 75ft of 1/0 wire.

Also, if you are looking for something more "custom". Over at caraudio.com/forum there is a guy with a s/n that is Splaudio. He could make 2 8" subs that could handle 3000w rms.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
04-26-2011, 05:26 PM
Lol @ 150 DeeBeez

Zakradu398
04-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Lol @ 150 DeeBeez

Why lol? With a properly build box it is totally do-able.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
04-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Not on music.

muddy400EX
04-27-2011, 02:14 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sjorge450R
[B] so im not exactly sure what its going to cost.

alot! lol. i just did a system in my truck and spent $900, and its not even top of the line models

but everyone is going to reccomend different stuff, im a JL fan for subs, and Alpine fan for head units.

but theres many unheard of company's that not many people know of. RE audio, Audioque,Sundown,Soundsplinter,Pierce Audio etc

and if you got stock door speakers you will need an upgrade, or all you will hear is bass (unless that's what you want)

and what type of music you listen to will determine what kind of box you want

Sjorge450R
04-27-2011, 09:40 AM
I actually checked out a few 2 12" setups over the weekend and I decided thats way too much for me. I think I may just go with one 12 and call it a day. I do not want or need it to be loud, I just want some bump for my music.

Kickstarts-suck
04-27-2011, 01:02 PM
Sundown SA-12 on AQ750. :)

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
04-27-2011, 01:10 PM
Sundown SA-12 on AQ750. :)

or an SDC2.5 on an AQ750, just make sure you're not clipping.

Zakradu398
04-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Not on music.

I know this.. -.-

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
04-27-2011, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Zakradu398
I know this.. -.-

Burps are pointless. The only score that counts is music.:D

Zakradu398
04-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Burps are pointless. The only score that counts is music.:D

For what I use it for true. I wasn't totally sure on what he was looking to get out of this whether it be sq or spl

Sjorge450R
04-27-2011, 01:39 PM
or an SDC2.5 on an AQ750, just make sure you're not clipping.

Yeah I think this is what I am going to be doing. I think it may be the perfect setup for me. Also, How would I be clipping running the 750?

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
04-27-2011, 02:20 PM
Clipping has to do with the amp, not the sub. You could run a 250 watt amp and still be clipping. Clipping is hard to explain but it's basically when the wave the amp is sending is squared instead of round. The best way to set your gains is with an O-Scope but you can use a multi meter as well.

Kickstarts-suck
04-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Nice thing about AQ is they have a clip light on the knob. Its little sensitive but still works pretty good.

ZBlaster
05-03-2011, 07:06 PM
I've been dying to try out some of the Sundown and Audioque setup but haven't had the opportunity to try it. The shop I work with has me running a Kicker CVX 10" and a RF T10001BD and it's not terrible for what I've got in it, at 38hz it's a beast at BassRace events.

rbgnwa45
05-06-2011, 10:05 AM
If you've got the space (3-5 NET), Incriminator Audio 187 15" 300W on SSA.com for $119.

ZBlaster
05-20-2011, 09:04 PM
Nice thing about AQ is they have a clip light on the knob. Its little sensitive but still works pretty good.

Sorry for bumping an old thread

I finally broke down and bought a Sundown Audio SA15D2 for my truck. I must say I'm beyond impressed. I'm running an Audiopipe AP150001D on it right now, with a Mean Green alt, Kinetik in the back, all 1/0 wiring, upgraded big 3, etc. Sub is in 3.25 ft^3 net at 35hz and it's a monster! I have pics and videos but for some reason ATVRiders won't let me link them from my facebook page.

Kickstarts-suck
05-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by ZBlaster
Sorry for bumping an old thread

I finally broke down and bought a Sundown Audio SA15D2 for my truck. I must say I'm beyond impressed. I'm running an Audiopipe AP150001D on it right now, with a Mean Green alt, Kinetik in the back, all 1/0 wiring, upgraded big 3, etc. Sub is in 3.25 ft^3 net at 35hz and it's a monster! I have pics and videos but for some reason ATVRiders won't let me link them from my facebook page.

Sweeet. Glad your happy with it :macho

ZBlaster
05-21-2011, 12:40 PM
Sweeet. Glad your happy with it :macho

Happy isn't the word for it haha. It impressed me big time, I've ran RE, Kicker, Atomic, Memphis, JL, PPI, etc in the past and none have had me more impressed for a DD setup. My old SPL setups obviously got louder, but for a ground pounder I got exactly what I wanted. Just need to finish my seat lift and modify the mounts so I can get the box under the seat a little further.

Here are the videos, they obviously don't do it justice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RMv1Scymbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1F7F_X67Vg&feature=related

Ignore the cheap HU, my kids enjoy watching movies on trips. It'll be replaced with a Pioneer double din unit soon.

kyledvor61
05-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Not wanting to highjack your thread, but do any of the audio experts in here know anything about the brand name Kove? I've got two Kove 15's in my car and they slam but i dont know a single thing about them.

If anyone knows anything they can PM me as to not clutter your thread.

Kickstarts-suck
05-22-2011, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by kyledvor61
Not wanting to highjack your thread, but do any of the audio experts in here know anything about the brand name Kove? I've got two Kove 15's in my car and they slam but i dont know a single thing about them.

If anyone knows anything they can PM me as to not clutter your thread.

Haven't heard about Kove in a while.

What model are they? The Armageddons were badass!

Don't know what happened to Kove. I heard they were bought by RE quite a while ago.

kyledvor61
05-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Not Armageddons :( the "ring" around the sub isnt as tall and thick as the armageddon series look to be. If I posted or pm'd you a picture do you think you could help me? Im just looking for some info on them. Sound damn good though bouncing off the rear hatch on my 99 t/a though

ZBlaster
05-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Haven't heard about Kove in a while.

What model are they? The Armageddons were badass!

Don't know what happened to Kove. I heard they were bought by RE quite a while ago.

Basically all of your old Kove stuff was badass. The Armageddon Z Series of course was the main one, but even their lower lines would slam and hold ALOT more power than they where rated at. My buddy had 2 XS series 12's off an RF BD15001 and it beat hard every day for atleast 2 years.

Alot of people still use Armageddon motors in building custom subs because of how efficient they where for a smallish motor structure.

At first they where there own company being produced by the same people that did Lanzar believe it or not, then Atomic started making the subs for them, and I believe the money just ran dry. Gary Kovner is the guy who used to/may still own the company. He's still around, but I doubt he's producing new equipment.

I'm going to stop showing my age now. LOL