PDA

View Full Version : Flex Powdercoat

One_Bad_400
04-24-2011, 01:09 AM
I've got a home Powdercoating system. Can all Powders be used for shock springs or do you need a special more flexable PC. In the middle of rebuilding my bike when i noticed how crappy my shock springs are looking like crap.

Pappy
04-24-2011, 07:17 AM
They will all work, some hold up better but your basic powders will do just fine;)

One_Bad_400
04-24-2011, 07:48 AM
Ok, thanks. And the oven temp won't tamper with the actual springs?

250x_kyle
04-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by One_Bad_400
Ok, thanks. And the oven temp won't tamper with the actual springs?

nope the metal has to be well over 350 degrees to change any metal structures.

Pappy
04-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
nope the metal has to be well over 350 degrees to change any metal structures.

Actually it involves more about the length of time at a certain temperature versus temperature as the only variable. Springs are routinley burned off at 750 degrees.

250x_kyle
04-25-2011, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
Actually it involves more about the length of time at a certain temperature versus temperature as the only variable. Springs are routinley burned off at 750 degrees.

I did forget about the burn off, but even at 750 I’m not one hundred percent on how springs are hardened. In order for any major structure changes to occur it would have to reach a temperature around 1500 or more. When they are pulled out of from burn off I would assume they are cooled naturally.

Steel structure change in a temperature over time. All depending on how they are cooled and over a period of time makes up the structure. This can affect tempering but with those temperatures being trade secrets by the spring manufactures it would be a hit and miss subject.