PDA

View Full Version : quick compression and cam question

4WheelinDemon
04-23-2011, 08:01 PM
ok, so i know stage 2 hot cams are only meant for bigger CC's but what if i upgrade my piston to a je 10.5:1 piston that keeps the standard bore and i put on cometic gaskets with a crf450 timing chain? would the stage 2 cam still work good and do what its machined to do?

400man
04-23-2011, 08:18 PM
I dont think bore size really affects a cam's performance, but the compression ratio is what the main factor is. it should run very well with a 10:1 and a stage 2 cam

CJM
04-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by 400man
I dont think bore size really affects a cam's performance, but the compression ratio is what the main factor is. it should run very well with a 10:1 and a stage 2 cam

Exactly. More compression the higher the cam you want to run. Personally the only quad that ever gets a stage 1 hotcam or such is a totally stock quad. Once you increase compression you get power-to use it all you need the stage 2 cam.

2001400exrida
04-24-2011, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Exactly. More compression the higher the cam you want to run. Personally the only quad that ever gets a stage 1 hotcam or such is a totally stock quad. Once you increase compression you get power-to use it all you need the stage 2 cam.

i'm not trying to argue but this is wrong.

I'm running 11:1 426 stage 1 hotcam and i love it, gives me raw low end power, and the motor still has power through the rpm's it feels like.

Hotcam specifically corellates the bore size to the cam setup. they do not suggest running a stage 1 with anything bigger than the 426.

CJM
04-24-2011, 09:04 AM
^ Interesting. Ive never ran a stage 1 cam in anything other than a slightly over stock quad b/c while it gives it great low/mid power it kinda trails off towards the topend to a degree-where the stage 2 doesnt.

Does yours feel that way 2001400exrida? Like once you get past a certain rpm it kinda falters?

killer454
04-24-2011, 10:33 AM
im running .20 overbore,11-1 piston,stage 1 hotcam,open box,pro-cuicuit exhaust,i love the low-end this combo gives me.

i dont care about top-end power i wanted the lowend grunt for hills.it works very well for me.

im thinking about buying another engine to fixup for top-end and reverse.

2001400exrida
04-24-2011, 04:14 PM
i can't really notice that it trails off. the motor seems to have power all over the rpm's.

I would have to try a stage 2 and see if the improvement is great. I love the low grunt i have though. it will pull the wheels up in 5th gear if i goose it.

punk rock kiel
04-24-2011, 04:30 PM
of course i purchased my quad pretty much as it sits but its got 11.0-1 426 with stage 1 (or thats what the box that comes with it says) and it runs great off the line but my mid to high range rips.

i compair it to my friends banshee cause it does fine down below but it feels like it just opens up on the mid to top end and just goes....