PDA

View Full Version : ESR pv top end

CorvetteZ06
04-23-2011, 12:44 AM
Hey guys . In the next month or so I'm going to be purchasing a new top end for my R. I'm debating between the new ESR 350 power valve top end, or a pro-X 350 power valve top end . Has ESR resolved the power valve, cooling, and porting issues they had on the first run of these jugs? I've even heard that people had their cylinders crack? I understand a first run of something can have some problems, but these cylinders have been out for some time now. Or should I just stick with the tried and true pro-X cylinder? Thanks guys!

machwon
04-23-2011, 07:23 PM
Stick with the non pv. Run a 4mm stroker in place of the pv.

wild250rman
04-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by machwon
Stick with the non pv. Run a 4mm stroker in place of the pv.

what kind of power does this set up have? like low end, mid and upper

pilotpete
04-24-2011, 12:39 AM
how about the Duncan PC2000 cylinder has P/V and heard anything bad about them???

albertp86
04-24-2011, 07:07 AM
I have a 310 pv and have had the power valve blade come off of the shaft and get damaged. Esr replaced it and took care of me with the new pv. I don't know if it's better because I have not put it on yet.
To answer your question depends on the type of riding. I kind of agree with the post above saying go non pv and 4 mil stroke. I got a 3 mil stroke and it has good smooth bottom end power. If you ride dunes and a wide open most of the time then I would probably go non pv with the stroker

For the cost of the esr, I would go esr before pro x in my opinion but pv or non pv is something you should consider as well.

CorvetteZ06
04-24-2011, 09:28 AM
thanks for the replies guys.... I def. want a PV because I do mostly woods/XC riding, with MX maybe once or twice a month. I used to have a Duncan PC2000 a few years ago, and really like the low end. I just wanted to try something new besides the DUncan motor this time around... I know that CT Racing uses the Pro-X jug with a tried and true Rotax type PV... its also double the price of the ESR.....

CorvetteZ06
04-24-2011, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by albertp86
I have a 310 pv and have had the power valve blade come off of the shaft and get damaged. Esr replaced it and took care of me with the new pv. I don't know if it's better because I have not put it on yet.
To answer your question depends on the type of riding. I kind of agree with the post above saying go non pv and 4 mil stroke. I got a 3 mil stroke and it has good smooth bottom end power. If you ride dunes and a wide open most of the time then I would probably go non pv with the stroker

For the cost of the esr, I would go esr before pro x in my opinion but pv or non pv is something you should consider as well.

That really sucks! Did the PV break when you were riding? Anything else get damaged? What did ESR say about why it broke??

albertp86
04-24-2011, 02:21 PM
Nothing really broke. What happened was that the blade came off (unscrewed) off the shaft. The blade then proceeded to bang the heck out of the shaft. The blade never did damage to anything. It did happen while I was riding. I just noticed that my plug was a different color and that my top end was not there like it used to be. I had a ton of bottom end tho. I think most who bash something like the pv have either never had one or happened to have a bad experience. There are alot of people who have had good luck with them.

I guess you have to look at it this way. More moving parts can lead to a problem, but these are race engines. Nothing is guaranteed to last.

If you do get a pv, the advise that I would give is to make sure you make the pv a part of your maintenance schedule. Check it to make sure everything is cool then remember to put back correctly. (people have put them in the wrong way)

86 Quad R
04-25-2011, 08:51 AM
as mentioned, i would get a pro-X 310 and and have a 4mm stroker built for it and ported according to tyour riding style. cant go wrong with that. :)