PDA

View Full Version : Trail 400ex

MainEX
04-23-2011, 12:37 AM
Hi all.

I have a 05 400ex. completely stock. I dont do MX or anything kind of racing and not really interested in it. Where im from ( eastern Canada) we just do a lot of pit and trail riding. I was wondering what could I do to my bike to make it perfect for the trail.

PaRedneckRiders
04-23-2011, 05:53 AM
Well first off, Welcome to the site.

But im guessing you dont want to tear into it to much.

I would say
Stage 1 cam
Decent exhaust (if you dont have really strict noise regulations) could always go with something like the fmf Q4
And if you run stock comp. You could go a +6 timing key, or get a +3 from Wheelie (member on here)

CJM
04-23-2011, 06:35 AM
^ To add to the above poster: Skid plates, maxxis razr tires all the way around.

jcs003
04-23-2011, 07:54 AM
new suspension.

PaRedneckRiders
04-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by CJM
^ To add to the above poster: Skid plates, maxxis razr tires all the way around.
X2 on that, didnt even think about those.
I can agree with jcs003 also, stock suspension sucks even for trail riding.
If you could pick up a set of used 450r shocks for the front you would be set.

Just all depends on what kind of $$ you got to spend.

MainEX
04-23-2011, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by jcs003
new suspension.

From the reading ive done on here that was the first thing i was planning on doing. Was going to pick up a pair of 450r shocks when the price was right.

As for swing arm plus a-arms. what kind of stance would be best for trail/rough trail. a wider stance? or would the stock suffice?

supertrooper90
04-23-2011, 09:49 AM
for just trail riding, a set of works tripple rates or something inexpensive will work just fine. The 450r shocks are a little stiff for stock arms and just trail riding imo. Iwould stick to full armor and some 6 ply tires before anything else, then worry bout suspension.

dan5
04-23-2011, 09:55 AM
I also have a stock 400 and if I can ever get my wife to let go of the money for a second this is what I would do.LOL

The big three
1 Pipe
2 Filter
3 Rejet

Then I would probably get 450 front shocks ,steering stabilizer and new tires.

After that the sparks key and then it's just how much do you want to spend.

According to some there's an addiction of some sort out there. I just haven't been able to afford it yet.

But there are better people out there that can explain it

OldGuyonaQuad
04-23-2011, 10:31 AM
nerf bars

HondaRacing83
04-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Money plays a factor in all this. But if you dont have an extremely strict budget i would do this; If you can find some +1 a-arms thatd be great but you could use +2's. depending on tightness of trails. Youd deff need a pipe+filter+jet. You could always get 450r shocks and get them revalved or get some triple rate springs. or just get some works axis or elka's. axis is good for trails. im surprised no one mentioned bars. i personally hated the stock bars. i have pro taper se's. renthal and tags are good. if you want really good bars get some Fasst Flex bars. there like $300 but there really good. Getting a rear shock isnt really needed because the stock 400 shock is decent. Might want a bumper. I suggest PRM SUMMIT for trail. And nerf bars, engine skid, swingarm skid, axle(G-force is $200 with lifetime warranty) and you dont need a different swingarm.

wnyoaracer
04-23-2011, 07:17 PM
i have a 07 tricked out but before i was racing i was just trail riding the things i did first was:
1-maxxis razor 2's tires all around
2-i bought some 450 shocks revalved them for my feel
3-nerf bars for my feet
4- skid plates under main body an under swingarm
5-bought a new front bumper
If you dont race an your just trail ride an your ok with the speed of stock than theres no really good reason to do the things like new cams, pipes,filters, or geting wider a-arms or axles

But besides getting this new stuff the things your should do make it run better an last longer is
1-change the oil every 4 to 6 hrs of riding time try amsoil there good also oil filter every 2 to 3 oil changes
2- you check if needed clean air filter
3- check torque on every bolt
4- grease everything like steering stem etc... and it will be a great trail quad 400ex is the best quad for trails ...

PaRedneckRiders
04-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Hey man, i got some parts you may be interested in. Like front shocks mayb a few other things.
Check it out.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=465667